Hip Infection Anterior THR Recovery by KCDawg34

It's been awhile since I posted, so I thought I would jump back on and update my recovery. I don't know that many people are truly following, but I figured I would do this occasionally for the first year just in case something I say can help someone who comes behind. I wanted to post earlier, but work and helping out with the MIL has limited my time somewhat. To quotas Ferris Bueller, "Life comes at you pretty fast sometimes." As always, I will hit it with bullet points to hopefully make it a bit easier to read and follow:

- As of tomorrow, my right hip is at 19 weeks and my left hip at 11 weeks. I had x-rays on both two weeks ago and the surgeon says that everything looked great.
- The thigh pain that I had has pretty much dissipated on both sides. My muscles are still weak there, but i believe they are getting better all the time.
- I still have extremely tight IT Bands that continue to cause some pain and swelling. But, I am doing some stretches that I am hopeful will alleviate that pain as well. The right hip has already loosened up some while the left stil has a loooong way to go.
- The IT Pain makes it a bit difficult to sleep on either side for any extended time. Therefore, I spend most of the time like a rotisserie chicken...turning and turning and turning and turning...until the sun comes up and I am done.
- I still using a cane. Sometimes around the house, I don't. Or maybe when I go from my office to the printer at work, I will hoof it unencumbered. But other than that, I use the cane. I don't have any issues when I walk, though I do get some light pain when I do too much. I see so many people that are able to toss it aside almost immediately, but apparently I'm not one of them. Should you be blue to walk 100% without assistance at this stage? I'd love to know.
- I still get a decent amount of pain and wobbliness when I first get up - at least the first 5 - 10 steps. I have heard this called "start up pain." Does it go away? I hope so as it is seriously starting to p*** me off! Any information anyone can share on this would be appreciated.
- The nerve pain is still there, though much better than it was. I continue to take my gabapentin three times a day. I can go for a pretty long time without any pain medication, but if I Don't get the gabapentin every eight hours, there is heck to pay.
- I'm taking my first work trip on Friday. The upcoming weekend is huge for my industry, so I will be in Chicago from Friday through Monday. There are a tons of things that I need to attend, and I will, as long as the hips will let me. I have contingency plans for everything, so I am hopeful it all goes smoothly.
- Following that, my wife and I have to drive our son to Chicago the following Friday to move him into his summer apartment. He has a internship set up with an advertising agency there, and we are all very excited. That said, the eight hour drives their and back seem a bit daunting.
- Other than that, things seem to be going ok. The anemia has greatly improved. It still gets on occasion, but much less frequently or with the same strength s before. I tell people that I don't get better by the day, but I do get better by the week...and so far that seems to be true. I tried to start doing some additional walking every day and may have pushed to much, so I plan to pull back on that for a bit.

That's all I have for now. Please let me know if you have any questions or, better yet, you have answers for my questions.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone for their recovery!

KCDawg34

I still get a decent amount of pain and wobbliness when I first get up - at least the first 5 - 10 steps. I have heard this called "start up pain." Does it go away? I hope so as it is seriously starting to p*** me off! Any information anyone can share on this would be appreciated.
Everyone has a bit of this post op - especially if you limped around for any length of time pre-op. The muscle strength just isn't there yet.

For me this just suddenly wasn't there. I guess I finally built up the strength and mobility so that I could move in balance. I do remember this taking time.
I'm taking my first work trip on Friday.
That said, the eight hour drives their and back seem a bit daunting.
Both sound exhausting for a new hippie. Not that you are just pre-op. But any new activity that puts new stresses on those hips may tire you. I hope you can pace yourself.

Thanks for the update @KCDawg34 ! Sounds like you are doing very well!

INFECTION
So, I'm literally five months out from hip one (right) replacement. I traveled to Chicago yesterday, had dinner with my son (he's doing an internship there this summer), and then got a good nights rest in anticipation of a long day. When I got up this morning, my right side around my incision site seemed a bit more painful than usual. I first thought it was just from sleeping on a harder bed than normal. However, when I looked at it in the mirror, it was not a good sight. The incision, which had been healing so nicely and had faded to a gray with a healthy pink tinge, was an angry red, and puffy, and hot to the touch.

I called my surgeon and they directed me to get to an urgent care immediately to get confirmation that it was an infection. We also set up an appointment for me to see someone in his office tomorrow (he was leaving for vacation today). So, I went to urgent care and they confirmed...it's an infection. As to what level they couldn't say, but for sure an infection. They prescribed me so antibiotics which I filled at the pharmacy next door.

I caught an earlier flight as I just didn't feel to great, and now here I sit, wondering what tomorrow brings. Things had been going so well on the hips front, both getting stronger and I just started walking without a cane on occasion. I'm trying to be positive, but I'm very nervous about how serious this can be.

Whatever the case, I'll update the group as things unfold. I hope everyone has a great night.

Sorry to hear about that!!! Please do let us know!

How did your driving to Chicago go? I had my right THR 4 weeks ago and will be having my left THR in 2 weeks. My family is going on vacation 10 days after and I'm hoping I'll be able to go. I have a friend who will drive the 8 hours and will stop as often as needed, and have a hotel reservation midway in case I need to break the trip into two days.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

A setback KC for sure.
And for it to happen while visiting your son.
I'm sure your surgeon will be able to sort you out without too much difficulty as the infection seems to be around the incision and not in the hip itself.
Please update us on progress.
Joe.....

Jeez KC, that is shocking to me. At 5 months out, I wouldn't have thought infection with your incision possible. I have been itching to swim and etc at 5 weeks out as everything LOOKS healed up.
So sorry you are going through this. Please keep us updated

So sorry to read that you have an infection. But there are plenty of member here who have been through this and come out the other side just fine. Look for the red HIP INFECTION in front of threads in the recovery area (your thread now has one as well). If you click on that red title you will get a list of all the threads by members who have gone through this journey.

We are with you through this @KCDawg34 ! Please keep us updated.

Sorry to hear about that!!! Please do let us know!

How did your driving to Chicago go? I had my right THR 4 weeks ago and will be having my left THR in 2 weeks. My family is going on vacation 10 days after and I'm hoping I'll be able to go. I have a friend who will drive the 8 hours and will stop as often as needed, and have a hotel reservation midway in case I need to break the trip into two days.

Thank you Susan. My drive wasn't bad at all. In fact, I drove all the way there and back, liberally using the cruise control as it was almost all highway. I just set the cruise on the speed that I wanted and was able to steer while flexing my ankles, knees and occasionally hips.

You are probably pushing it a bit by going 8 hours in less than a month. It will certainly be a bit tougher for you. That said, if you are feeling good enough, I would go for it. Make sure you take your pain pills, drink plenty of fluids, have a space in the car where you can flex your legs frequently and take frequent stops (I stopped every two hours just to stretch a bit).

Best of luck and enjoy your vacation.

A setback KC for sure.
Please update us on progress. Joe.....

Thanks, IrishJoe (my DNA says I'm 40% Irish, so I always love to see your avatar come up). Appreciate the positive thoughts as that is what I am trying to do. I had one appointment this morning and have another this afternoon, so I'll update everyone tonight on what the prognosis is. Thanks again for the message.

Jeez KC, that is shocking to me. At 5 months out, I wouldn't have thought infection with your incision possible.
Thanks, Mojo. When I called my surgeon, the nurse who I talked to was somewhat incredulous as well. I told her my right hip and she said "Really, the one that's at more than five months?" I believe that is why they told me to get to an urgent care quickly, so they could "verify" that it was an infection.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing hat you want to do. As I understand it, infection is a pretty low risk. I just happened to throw a bad dice. Best of luck to you as you continue healing.

We are with you through this @KCDawg34 ! Please keep us updated.
Thanks, Jacey. This site helped me get through some long months and I appreciate the heck out of it, you and the other moderators, and everyone else that posts here with great information and positive thoughts. Very much appreciated.

Please take it easy until you DO find out. Don't want you making anything worse. Hopeful wishes sent your way... When my OS said I was endstage OA I said ..at 53?
He goes yeah, probably genetic. I said I don't thin I have anyone in my family several generations who had ever been diagnosed. He says, well DNA...just a roll of the dice.:loll:

I just want to chime in as an official double hippie - my newest hip is 3 weeks old now & (knock titanium) is holding up well. I am walking with a cane & off pain meds. The 2nd time is so much easier & it really makes total sense when you don't have to rely on an old arthritic hip during recovery. I am getting a bit antsy but think I am over the hump.

Quick question - is there any contraindication to sleeping on new hip at this stage? Both hips were done with anterior approach. My biggest challenge now is waking during night to change positions & right now primarily back sleeping which is getting old....

I just read through your thread @KCDawg34. I'm so sorry to hear about your infection. How are you doing? Take care of yourself. I hope it's treatable with antibiotics. Please keep us posted.

Not much to report at this point. My surgeon was actually in surgery, so I didn't see him. Instead I got one of his residents who took a look. He examined it very closely and then took pictures to send to my doctor when he was between surgeries.

My surgeon sent me for a blood test and also made me an appointment with a dermatologist to take a look. Basically she just confirmed that it wasn't an allergy, scabies, or any other superficial skin infection. She also drew a line around the infection with instructions to hit the ER should I get color outside the lines. She also said she"d be reporting to my surgeon and assumed an MRI or ultrasound would be the next step if my antibiotics didn't work.

I don't have a fever, I feel pretty good, and other than this issue, my hips feel the best they have in a long time. So, for now, I'm just going to ride this out and see what happens (not that I have any choice, lol).

I really appreciate everyone's good wishes (here's looking at you, Hip Hip Hooray) and am hoping hard for a positive outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question - is there any contraindication to sleeping on new hip at this stage? Both hips were done with anterior approach. My biggest challenge now is waking during night to change positions & right now primarily back sleeping which is getting old....
I didn't have any precautions coming out of anterior surgery. Basically, my doctor said I could sleep on my side soon as I felt up to it. So, I think you should be good.

Thank you Susan. My drive wasn't bad at all. In fact, I drove all the way there and back, liberally using the cruise control as it was almost all highway. I just set the cruise on the speed that I wanted and was able to steer while flexing my ankles, knees and occasionally hips.

You are probably pushing it a bit by going 8 hours in less than a month. It will certainly be a bit tougher for you. That said, if you are feeling good enough, I would go for it. Make sure you take your pain pills, drink plenty of fluids, have a space in the car where you can flex your legs frequently and take frequent stops (I stopped every two hours just to stretch a bit).

Best of luck and enjoy your vacation.

Thanks, I will definitely stop a lot and will probably break the drive down into 2 days. AND listen to my body - if I can't go, then so be it!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Glad you're feeling good and hopefully the infection turns out to be something easily treatable!

@KCDawg34 that's rotten, hopefully it's just a minor issue that the antibiotics will clear up. It's good sign that your hips feel great and it was very wise that you jumped on it quickly.

Glad to hear maybe it is just confined to incision site. Hope it clears up very soon.
We all pray for no complications... Hard enough as it is. Hope you have a good day today.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Leftielouie
Recent bookmarks