THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

Oooh! Let me know how you get on. I have a sun filled holiday coming up in a few months. Like you I want to get the sunscreen that does not destroy reefs. Might look into the rashguard shirt u recommend as my shorts and t shirt are getting old for swimming in.

I currently use P20 which is very waterproof.

I love aqua areobics too but will ease myself into that very gently!

Might send you a pm with a link to where I stay! The island is very hilly so I will need to take care..

Hi @AnnieRose2,

Don’t feel bad about needing to use the cane from time to time. A buddy of my was back playing hockey in 6 months (goalie no less), and by all accounts has had a miraculous recovery. But he still uses a cane occasionally when his hip is tired or if he moves funny and tweaks something. He is just under a year and post op.

Cheers

The weather is cold and damp here in NY and my hip is not happy.
The weather people are saying Thanksgiving day will be the coldest in history..yikes
I went to my chair yoga class , and did a little shopping yesterday. Does that count as ODIC?
I feel like it is. The IT band near the knee is so painful, this is the area the pain management doctor injected with cortisone , 2 weeks ago..I cannot put weight on it. I’m hobbling around and my back is killing me. I guess that was a mistake ..Making mistakes seems like my motto , now.
I didn’t see any suntan lotion that protects the coral reefs, so I bought my usual.
I bought a collapsible cane from Amazon to take on my trip. It’s ok but feels kind of wobbly.It will probably be ok for the little time I plan on using it..just airport
Happy Thanksgiving , all.
@SurreyGirl

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Annie :)
I'm sorry you are feeling some pain today after yesterday's activity.
We're cold here in the Upper Mid-West also. High on Thanksgiving will be 40 degrees which isn't warm but I'll take it because we've been in the 20's and lower which is below average this time of year.
I hope your knee and back pain eases soon and that you have a great rest of the week!
@AnnieRose2

Take me with you @AnnieRose2 :beg:
I am not sure if it your mistake if you hit the ODIC...sometimes it just happens and how else do we know?
I do hope you don't worry about chair yoga or any exercise but walking...you'll get enough movement as you travel...along with some uncomfortable sitting with your back hurting...
Hoping your Thanksgiving is sweet and enjoy some sun!:SUNsmile:

:hi:I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, Annie.
Wondering how the pain is lately? Sure hope it's easing for you.
I know your trip to St Thomas is soon. I'll bet you're excited.
I'd probably wear the compression socks for the flight since it's 3.5 hrs and you're
only months out of surgery. Can't hurt, right?
If we don't hear from you....safe travels! I hope you have a lovely Christmas
and 2019 brings you all you're wishing for.
Big hugs :friends:
@AnnieRose2

Happy Holidays, @AnnieRose2 - I hope you are basking in sunshine now on St. Thomas. I will be looking for a trip report and update on the hip. We are at 6 months now (yesterday was my 6 month mark!). Enjoy!!!:swim:

Happy Belated Six Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well, Annie.
Please leave us an update when you have time.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and a happy, healthy, pain free 2019!
@AnnieRose2

:merry christmas:

Hope all is well with you, hippy friend.
Happy holidays!:santa hug:

Well, AR2, it's been seven months, missed your anniversary, so Happy Seven Month Anniversary!
Hopefully you had a nice Christmas.
How are you doing? With any luck you continue to see improvement.
Leave us an update when you have time. Would love to hear from you.
Wishing you all the best the New Year has to offer.
@AnnieRose2

Hi, Layla, so nice to hear from you. Hope you are well.
Unfortunately I’m not doing ok.
We did go away to St Thomas in December..I had a good time and very little pain. I was able to walk barefoot in the sand and swim in the water water.
Since I been back in cold weather ,I’m not doing good.
My surgery was left side and now my right knee and foot has blown up and I cannot walk. I saw my regular Ortho doctor last week. His review of pelvis and knee X-ray show the implant has subsided towards midline. He said the implant is healing in place and I will have it for a very long time..no revision. He did note I have a shortened leg and suggested an over the counter heel lift.
The knee shows minimal arthritis. He prescribed oral prednisone. I took my last pill today ..no relief.
I’m debating getting an injection in Right knee.
I asked why is all this happening and he said ..bad luck.
I’m taking 25 mg tramadol and stretching. Today, I fought the pain and walked outside.
He wants me to resume my pre surgery gym / pool life. It’s so hard to be in pain and think about going to gym.
Last week , I went to a different chair yoga class. I couldn’t do anything ..that set my mind back. I dropped out of class.
It was nice of you to reach out to me. I know I’m depressed. The ortho doctor talked to me about pain / depression cycle and asked me to consider taking a mood altering drug.
Your reaching out was a cheer up post.
thank you
@Layla

Aww, Annie, I'm so sorry you continue to struggle.
I'm happy you had a long enough reprieve during vacation to enjoy St Thomas.

Thankfully all looked well with the x-ray and your doc was reassuring about its placement and projected longevity. I hope you find some relief with the heel lift.

I'm sure you're feeling conflicted about the injection but it may be worth considering and could hopefully bring you some well deserved relief. I'm sorry you're depressed, it's heartbreaking but understandable enough with your longsuffering.

Please know we're always here for you and if / when you're feeling blue stop by and let us try to help uplift you through prayer and encouraging words, or advice. Meds for the short term may help...just as a bridge to get you from where you are now, back to where you want to be. We care, Annie. :console2:
Sending lots of love, a warm hug and wishes for brighter days. :prayer:
@AnnieRose2

So sorry you are feeling so down, and discouraged. Pain and worry will do that to you, and your whole body has been through a great deal of trauma as well with the surgery. It makes perfect sense that you are feeling blue---I applaud you for being so self aware, and labeling it. That way you can get the support you need from others.

In terms of possibly using medication, I noticed you used "mood altering drug" as a descriptor, indicating you have a pretty strong bias against them, or was that how the dr. referred to it? There are many medication options and many different dosages, and given that your whole brain and body chemistry have taken such a hit, it could be that some type of medication might help you reset. I have two friends who suffered depression related to knee replacements, and both of them said that they believe they improved much more quickly as a result of using medication. One had double knees done and she was in a very dark place for quite awhile. Perhaps it's something you can keep in the back of your mind, and remain open to the possibility.

For many people, when they are feeling down, exercise helps. For those who have chronic pain or have to limit their exercise, that takes away a good option. Another thought would be to step back and only do the things that you were doing right after surgery for a few weeks---just baby yourself and see if your body responds.Maybe with a little less pain, your spirits would improve some too.

I didn't understand when you said the implant had shifted to the midline, but also would last a long time what that meant. And when the dr. said you were just unlucky?

Take care, and keep us all posted---looks like you have a large team of supporters right here on the Forum!:prayer:

Last edited:
:hi: I was excited to see you had posted but hate to see you are still struggling so.
Don't think gym is the answer with all the pain you are still having.
The pool can be helpful if you are careful not to overdo.
Do you think the leg length differential is creating all the stress on your knee?
Have you tried an insert yet to see of that helps at all?
I do hope this is a better week.
Sending Good Mojo your way...:friends:

Hey Annie :hi:
Hope your days are looking up.
Wishing you sunshine, happiness and peace.:SUNsmile:
Big hugs :console2:
@AnnieRose2

Hey Annie,
Stopping by to say :hi:
I can only hope things have improved for you.
Please let us know how you're doing next time you stop by.
I noticed luvsibes avatar on the forum today and made me think of you. I hope you're making some progress.
@AnnieRose2

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom