Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ann and Vida,
That's why I always like this graphic of the butterfly -- her legs are not perfectly symmetrical, at least to my vision, and that's how my legs go too when I do this pose. My legs don't open as far as the picture that Alex posted -- even on the "normal" side (I can side "cross legged/Indian style" though).
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

It really is about soft tissue adaptation and stretching -- I, too, thought that round ball and socket joint was going to make me capable of all sorts of normal stuff but my muscles keep me from it...

We'll keep working at it though, right gals!! :dancy:
Take care,
Cardie

alexthecat; C Mac;Progress report on this one. Initially when I was trying to do this it went like this.....sitting on the floor with both hands on the floor at my sides bring left(good) leg up and put right hand on ankle...great.....bring left(bad) leg up, take left hand off floor......immediately topple over backwards :boohoo:. I could do it resting my back on the couch and also whilst sitting on the couch, but my back wasnt straight then.

Last night, new strategy......involve husband. So I got into semi position and then hubby pushed my back and wehey I done it and managed to stay there once in position. Okay, so my left knee wasn't even halfway to the floor and my back was curved but I was grabbing my ankles so success. Tried today without hubby, again struggled, couldn't get my hands as far as my ankles and back was curved but I managedto stay there without toppling over. I'm getting there ladies. Yesterday I did do lots with the foam roller beforehand. I rolled the inside of my operated legs calf and ooo did that hurt, I haven't done there before. Then I done both of my legs all over.Perhaps rolling and doing my floor exercises first is the best way to start so I am more loosened up.

Cheers m'dears.xxx
 
Vida;.....oh I don't know...think it would still be quite good to be bendy...just for the hell of it.lol I can now bend over and touch my toes now, that pleases me greatly :) Can't remember the last time I could do that one.

C Mac; yes that's what we mean by sitting cross legged. Not a hope of me doing that now or maybe anytime but I've lived without doing it forever so I can cope with that...although obviously it would be the cherry on the cake if I ever achieved it. I would be showing off all over the place.lol. I wonder if the length on operated side being noticibly longer is affecting my ability to do these exercises? Then again your femurs are different lengths Cardie and you can sit crossed leg so perhaps not.
 
We got snow yesterday and lots of it. I had a fab time walking the dogs. I haven't been able to walk them properly in the snow ever because I couldn't get wellies on account of my heel raise not being suitable for them and later also because I needed a crutch to walk so I was very exited to go walking yesterday. It was harder work trudging through the snow but exhilirating and the dogs loved it too. This is another thing which brings home to me just how lucky I am that I can do these things now, small things but they mean so much to me. This time last year it was an impossibility and just look at me now. :happydance:
 
Wow - getting your wellies on and rolling around on the floor with Mr.Anniepops: too hilarious. I have a fertile imagination. I am a wee bit sore from physio after a 10-day hiatus but its a good sore. We aren't doing any abductors for now or anything that hurts and she has given me some extra sessions as I have fallen behind, or something like that. She still says I shouldn't break restrictions so I will stop trying to do the exercise that Cardie has you doing. Maybe after I see my surgeon in a couple of weeks. So happy to hear you are back to trudging in the fields like Cathy and Heathcliffe... I know I am romanticizing your dog walking but it is lovely to imagine you are slowly making gains and getting to where I want to be. For now, I will live vicariously through you.
 
Rolling on the floor with husband - sounds as bad as mine driving me down a quiet country road (see my recovery thread). I have not been out of the house today, we had very little snow but had freezing rain instead - the roads are gritted/salted but the pavements (sidewalks) are treacherous! Luckily we had done a big supermarket shop before my PT yesterday, today I am very tired and have rested a lot while husband was at work. I was also scolded at the hospital for bending past 90 degrees to put my shoes on and do them up (velcro), Medway's policy is 12 weeks even though I was very flexible before surgery. I just did it without thinking and nothing hurt but I'd better do as I'm told and go back to my slip-on shoes.
Best wishes to everyone
Anne
 
The reason for keeping a straight spine is so you don't injure yout back. It's sort of important, so be careful, okay? Try to focus on tilting your pelvis forward, rather than lifting your chest. That may help.
 
Now look what you've done Vicki with your vivid imagination, you have got Anne at it too, what a laugh...rolling around the floor in wellies...we arn't the kinky type you know :rofsign:

Yes Vicki, that exercise is definitely not for you yet and try not to fret about falling behind, a few days of rest can be good for you, recharge your batteries so to speak. You will get back up to par soon enough :thumb:

Anne, I slightly broke restrictions a couple of times but couldn't stretch down to fasten my shoes even if I had wanted to so that wasn't a problem for me, you obviously are a rather bendy person......lucky you :heehee:
 
Hey Alex, thanks, I will be careful and concentrate more on my pelvis.x.
 
Okay... now, for maximum ROM try something like this:
1. Wander around fields with dogs to warm up muscles.
2. Use foam roller to loosen up.
3. Stretch hamstrings and quadriceps.
4. Practice sitting cross-legged.
 
Yes, it definitely makes a difference having a warm up first. Only now do I get why athletes always warm up it does make a huge difference.

Thanks Alex.x.
 
Oh, and Alex, I got Hubby to gently ease my operated legs foot up to just below my good legs knee earlier this evening so it will go I just need to practise to do it ndependantly so that's promising.
 
You know, I have a friend who teaches body pump and spinning, so very fit and strong. When she does that butterfly stretch, she has about as much ROM as the picture Cardie shared. There is a big range of "normal" for that, even among non-THR people.
 
Hi there Annie... Just catching up... So pleased you enjoyed the walk in the snow ... Hugs xx
 
Hi Ann,

You are doing great -- AGAIN!!!

Your dogs must be so well behaved to have a walk in the snow and not pull you over with excitement. Great work on the sitting stretches, how exciting, and now we are working you up towards sitting cross legged -- nice and slowly!! :) I don't think the difference in the length of your femur will matter, it is really just about the hip joint and that rotation. You can always try it with your normal leg closer to you first if that is more comfortable than the THR leg (look at the girl in the picture in my post sitting cross legged and see how her left leg is crossed in towards her body first).

Good luck!!! :yay:
Cardie
 
Hi Ann,
Just caught up on the last page of your thread, sounds like you're having fun on the floor! I've got the same problem, as I suspect most of us hippies have, about sitting up straight on the floor without arching my back. I think in my case it's that the hamstring at the back of my operated thigh has shortened, there's definitely a link between back flexibility and that group of muscles. I'm going to try the "butterfly" sit exercise without hamstring stretching first, then have another go after a hamstring stretch ... you know the one where you thrust out your heel and bend the other knee and back whilst leaning forwards. I'll let you know how it goes!

Love

Charlie x
 
Charlie,lovely to have you popping in :)

It's interesting that you still have a problem sitting on the floor and keeping your back straight, seems like it could be a long term issue for some of us. You see.....this is why it is worth sticking around this little hippie oasis of ours :) We have the BS gems, Alex and Cardie who continue to come up new exercises to challenge us and move us forward and the support of all the other Bonesmarties to motivate us into being the best we can.

i am still doing the hamstring stretches, still feeling the tightness when I do it......I think this is going to be a constant for the rest of my life but these are good as you can do them anywhere anytime.....you should see me in the queue in Asda fitting a couple in whilst waiting to be served, God knows what the other customers think I am doing.haha.

Good luck with the hamstring experiment, looking forward to hearing how that goes

Take care

Ann,x.
 
Well, Alex is the expert on exercises and stretches as the forum advisor and most knowledgeable personal trainer IRL. I just throw in stuff that I hear about or find when I do my million searches on whatever my current theory or ailment happens to be.

So, here's today's tidbit and no, I cannot do this
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

In my adaptive yoga class we do the forward fold in a chair and most of it is just folding forward a bit at the hip and having your legs outstretched & together. But!! I imagine that this would be a great stretch for the hamstrings -- alexthecat are you able to do this pose?

Onward we go with our CDH & Perthes bodies... :thumb:
Cardie
 
The standing pose in the photo? Yes, I can do that. It's a good hamstring stretch, but it can be a little too intense for some people's lower backs.

To develop that pose, bend over and touch your toes. Flex your knees until you are able to rest your chest on your thighs. Wrap your arms around your thighs. Straighten your knees, while keeping your chest on your thighs. Your knees may not straighten much the first time you try it. It can take a bit of consistent, gentle work to get hamstrings to open.
 
I suspect this will be a little easier for me. I won't have to bend so far due to my extensive boobage.
 
Hi Ann,
I tried the 'Butterfly' before I went biking yesterday and I was .....PATHETIC!!! I couldn't get my operated leg anywhere near where it 'should' be. I have to say tho' after a strenuous session on the bike and a good stretch I was a little better. I must work harder on flexibility I'd rather taken my eye off the ball in that department having concentrated mostly on muscle building. I like the look of Cardie's stretch above will have go later.
Do you really care what other ASDA customers think of you??:heehee:

Love

Charlie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom