Ankle issues related to needing BTkr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just the surgery in general i watched a video thinking it would be helpful...it wasn't for me.
 
Yeah...those videos can be a bit graphic for us non-medical types! So what scares you about the surgery? You'll be blissfully asleep, so you aren't going to know or feel anything. It's like that time just doesn't exist for you!

But, even so....some people are afraid of pain, of waking up during surgery, of not waking up afterwards, of the lack of control (putting everything in someone else's hands), of it not working, of the recovery process afterwards....any of these sound familar to you??? Or are there other things I've not mentioned? Once you get it out and we can talk about it, you should feel a little more at ease.
 
Well yes some of those...Im mostly worried that being on this strong pain med for as long as i have is going to be a problem my tolerance to pain med is very high due to the length of time I've been on it. I'm not sure how to deal with the issue I need a very understanding OS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yea i feel pretty guilty about the 3 yrs.I've missed out doing things with my Lil granddaughter she's six now and one of my biggest motivaters to have this done.Also for me its hard to believe the things you have to give up because you can't do much without use of your knees. Its crazy! [emoji107] [emoji16]
 
Feel for you have been.there thinking I used to be able to do that. Recently.went back to the place of.my childood literallycould see myself playing football.
Re video watch one.of zzzzzzzzz as that will be you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I think everyone has some fears too as I certainly did..but focusing on how my quality of life was going down hill as I am almost retired helped me overcome the fear....Best thing ever with new knees..

Vinny
 
Oh yea talk about No Quality ! I haven't been out of house much in almost 3 yrs...the 6 steps to get in and out are horrible. I miss my life. I also have a 2 yr. older sister that has to go through knee replacements as well. But I almost feel as if she has made it more Of a Competition than any support like we should be we don't live in same states but that shouldn't matter.
 
Kathleen take a look at my thread....I realize that my recovery has been really great but it can be done ...even if it is not you can get your life back ...only worry about yourself..

Vinny
 
Phil75070 yep i hear ya...im living that already ...thats what im counting on t that it will at the very least "get better" that's something to look forward to as opposed to not. Thanks
 
Just the surgery in general i watched a video thinking it would be helpful...it wasn't for me.
I watched the first minute.....but I would do it again in a minute for the result was worth it......

Vinny
 
@vinny Thank you for saying that...I hope I'll be able to say the samething to someone else!
 
There is no question it is a difficult operation Kathleen but some people bounce back quickly and even those who do not it takes maybe 3 or 4 months to being doing well....it is a short time in terms of the rest of your life....I feel 20 years younger and have things to look forward to that I was dreading. Going to New York City this weekend(my favorite place) and I cannot wait because I went in Oct just 2 weeks before surgery and I could hardly leave the room due to pain.....think it through and you will come to the best decision for you..

Vinny
 
@vinny I agree that painful knees would definitely would put a huge downer on any vacation. I'm not sure if my torn ACL will make a diff w/the knee replacement. I will let my GP Dr. refer me to an OS on my Feb.appt. its a start and go from there. I'm still pretty active sometimes to much and i pay for it. Im the "type" that's what Osteoarthritis? Lol[emoji2]
 
I'm a scaredy cat
I would say that about 99.99% of us were nervous and somewhat scared about the surgery---i had a BTKR, and I had the amalgam of emotions---fear, excitement, it was a roller coaster ride---

Today, though, seven years later, I can tell you that I am in better shape now than I was three years prior to my BTKR---ten years ago!

It will allow you to put your life back together---I would concentrate and focus on the positives---what will this allow me to do? The answer---a TKR or a BTKR will allow you to re-assemble your life, and you will be pain-free---I am betting that, when you get the dysfunctional knees fixed, you will get two functional ankles and your pain will go away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kamarx .... haven't heard from you in a bit....how are you doing?
 
hello, with everyone so helpful I didn't think I had much to offer since I'm not scheduled for surgery yet. But I'm glad you asked.
 
I did have new Xrays done...The x Ray tech's weren't very helpful since I had them done at hospital it was way too far to walk so I had to go via wheelchair that was depressing then the Dr.didn't write my x rays for a standing ok.then the low table is unavailable.so I had to hike myself up on the high table with a wobbly little stool! All the while the two are standing by I so I finally get into postion...now my pants are in the way!! Looking back it was kinda funny but I was in severe pain from it for2 days Omg.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom