Bilateral TKR and away I go.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a hospital selfie of my wife Christine and I tonight at the hospital. [Bonesmart.org] and away I go.....
 
Thanks Maggie. Even with my current bump in the road I'm still perfectly content with my decision. I do think the four week mark is a pretty big change. I've always figured like the old saying goes "Time heals all Wounds". You will find with work and a positive attitude it will go well. I definitely believe in letting it heal for awhile before pushing it. just do the home exercises as much as you can. Keep the joint moving but don't strain it or put to much weight on it. but like the rest of us you'll probably have an over did it day. But from your posts I'm sure your more than ready for this.

Cheers,
Harry.
 
thanks @oldrugbyprop ... re not putting too much weight on it - I wish - over the last 2-3 years I have put on 8-10kgs (17-22 pounds in your language) and I put that down to lack of activity. I used to play golf 2 to 3 times a week and OZ we walk the course so it was a pretty physical thing plus I went to the gym a couple of times a week and did some Pilates - haven't done any of that and as a consequence have just got more cuddly (that's my description and I am staying with it:giggle:. Aside for having the pee behind the tree I am hoping to lose the 10kg and get back to my fighting weight... watch this space

Nice pic of you and yours - take care - Maggie x
 
I knew I liked you from the get go @Maggie94 and you have answered a burning question regarding women and trees...I've also always wondered what the ladies locker room looks like and think I may run through one day now that I know I can move fast enough to escape:yikes:.....On the same topic our Senior Golf Tournament is against the ladies of the club this monday which should be fun......always tough to keep up with the ladies as they want to show you they can play faster than you...until they get to the green where they do not give each other a 6 inch putt...men,as you know give each other everything..good good good good..


Vincent
 
@oldrugbyprop and @Maggie94 one thing my OS and friends who have had BTKR's before me have said is that it is pretty difficult to hurt the implants and to use them as often as possible.....that stuck in my mind and once I knew my balance was ok and I was not in pain I started walking ... I even survived falling off the motor bike at 3 weeks..(not recommended but beats getting hit by the truck that ran the stop sign) 4 weeks was the first time I was not aware of my knees when walking after years of rolling side to side in agony...You are both ahead of the curve with your recovery Harry and your attitude Maggie and I am glad to share the journey with you....

Vinny
 
Well I'm off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of knees..... oops I mean the surgeon today for my five week check up. I'm going to go pillow shopping for a body pillow or a king size pillow afterwards. The redness and discharge from the right knee has diminished but I'll see what the OS says. Almost done with the meds except for middle of the night or after physio or when I overdo it. well time to do the exercises and get moving again. Have a great day.
 
Question for you guys. How much should physio hurt? Leg raises, bicycling etc aren't bad. However trying to increase rom hurts like hell. Primarily it is tightness and pulling from the bottom of the kneecap to the quad. What I'd like to know should I be pushing the stretches and heel slides more? What is acceptable pain at six weeks? What should rom be at this point I'm 110 and 102. abduction is 0 and 2. Also the sliding down the wall doing squats hurts and how many should you do. I miss being able to do standing quad stretches.
 
Harry I don't think it should "hurt "..I would try to squeeze out another degree or two at physio and could certainly feel it but not real pain?.I would continue the stretches and slides and shower squats under hot water..you will pick up more ROM gradually..how is it going down stairs?

Vinny
 
Hey Vinny going upstairs is good. Downstairs is still a bit stiff but that seems to be from the right leg with the less ROM. I've been probably reading to many MUA postings lately. Still bone pain where the pieces are attached but that should fade. I used to be able to touch my heel to my butt when stretching. Maybe that is wishing for too much. Have you been able to kneel down yet? How do you fond getting onto the floor and back up again?
 
Harry I don't think I could ever touch my butt with my foot not that easy with my hand either..I have not tried kneeling down yet and must confess I am a little fearful of that as I could not do it before the surgery...only tried to get off the floor once and used the technique I saw in a YouTube video with the old Chinese man but he made it look a lot easier. In the gym I use the bench for things I would do on the floor..

Vinny
 
Eight week update. The scars are healed. No more infection in the right leg. I'm icing a few times a day. The knees swell whenever I over do it. Which is pretty much everyday. Up and down the stairs is good since having PT stretch the knees last Thursday it made a world of difference. Tomorrow is another session of that and I'm looking forward to it. No more limping and only some clumping and clicking to deal with. Still intermittent sleep but I'm getting used to it. Hopefully everyone else is doing well.
 
Not bad Vinny. Still swelling and icing. I'm back to work in 2 weeks so we'll see how that goes. lots of stairs, concrete floors and walking. I can say this with the weather changing and getting damper I can feel the arthritis everywhere but the knees. Can't wait for winter to end.
 
Right there with you Harry..not the swelling but still icing and feeling our damp windy winter. Tough to complain when its 65 degrees but when the wind is blowing 25 every day and the moisture in the air everything does hurt but the knees....good luck going back to work.....

Vinny
 
Not as good as I thought it was Harry..as of last Thursday 123/120. I explained on my thread that I was going to start with a new PT this Thursday as an experiment...she told me she could get me any ROM I wanted so I am going to give it a shot just for a challenge I still feel great and have really had no problems or pain from day one...how about you ?

Vinny
 
Bouncing around 120 for both depending on swelling. I've been doing leg extensions, abductions, squats and butterfly. They swell pretty good when I work them. I find the recumbent bike pedaling is back to pre-bad knee form. I'm very happy with the results and I'm sure with a few more months the rom and swelling will both improve. we're taking a trip to Cancun in April to celebrate.
 
Harry, how is going? Back at work?

ok, here- two more weeks or so, and I will be back to work, ROM is great- right knee is a straggler and letting the left knee heal way faster - icing right now after a 45 min bike...

hope all is well brother...
 
Hi Harry. You are being very quiet....hope all is well with you. Maggie x
 
Hey Chris, Just started back to work on Monday. The knees are doing good. Still a little stiff but holding up well. There are lots of stairs and ladders at work so they can get a little swollen at times. The weather here is playing hell with my arthritis. Doc switched me from Celebrex to meloxicam. I've been on Celebrex for eight years and he thinks I've developed a tolerance for it. The new stuff seems to be making life better. My ROM has stuck mid 120's but I'm confident when all the swelling finally goes I'll be good as gold. It's nice to be back to work to as prior to the surgery I was starting to feel like a liability. Now I feel what I actually am not old and decrepit. Keep up the hard work Chris its all worth it in the end.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom