Guest viewing is limited

Anaesthesia-help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT was very aggressive 4 days post op and my leg swelled, didn't do any exercises for about 5 days after. Once the swelling went down, the pain has been very manageable.
This is an advance warning for everyone who hasn't had a knee replacement yet. Aggressive, painful PT is bad for your new knee. You have the right to speak up and and say that you won't allow your knee to be hurt like that - and the therapists have to comply with your wishes..
 
Hi Tabbycat
I had a spinal and my legs were back to normal a couple of hours after back on the ward. The only thing I decided not to have was the sedative but next time I will!! I was fully aware of everything that went on and began to find it a bit difficult towards the end! I know it sounds daft but my shoulder started to ache on the side I was lay on and I wanted to move off it! If I'd taken the sedative that wouldn't have happened. But on the positive side, the anaesthetist was brilliant, the spinal was easy and he reassured me all the way through plus I felt nothing! Didn't have catheter, operation done in England North West.
Good Luck Hun all will be fine xxx
 
Hi @Jetmints, thanks for that. My goodness, you were brave, no sedative! If they can't knock me right out I will be out of there (if I could run) :bolt:No catheter sounds good, I don't want one if possible. I hope your recovery is going well.
Love, Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
Hi
Probably too brave I wouldn't recommend no sedative, spinal with yes but not without. Anyway you must do whatever is the the most manageable for you, the anaesthetist has to grant your wishes! Well within reason, he won't pull a Mediterranean cruise out of his hat!!
When is your op?
Jet xxx
 
Hi @Jetmints, thank you for that reassurance, I need it at the moment :scary:I'm going to ask for a GA, I think it's the safest way of ensuring I don't wake up. I'll take the after effects as they come. My op is 21st April, so not long to wait, or get ready :scare:. A cruise after though, that would be good!
Love, Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
Hi @Tabbycat I just wanted to add my experience with spinal anaesthia with sedation (happy juice) during my LTHR 2 years ago. I loved it, and was so glad to wake up feeling on cloud nine with no pain. The feeling in my legs came back gradually over a period of a few hours and was of no concern at all because I was feeling so relaxed and happy. Of course you must go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. I hope you've been able to email or phone your OS's secretary so you can put your concern to him and begin to relax, at least about this issue, which has been causing you a lot of stress.
 
@Tabbycat
For medical reasons, I can't have a spinal anaesthetic, so I have had three knee replacements with a GA each time.

I alerted my doctors to the fact that I react to many medications by vomiting and the anaesthetist made sure that I had drugs on board, to prevent vomiting. Each time, I woke up woozy, but comfortable. I was able to sit up in bed and stand beside my bed (with help) on the evening of my operations. I didn't feel any after-effects from the GA.

If a GA is what you want (and you do have a sound reason) then say so.
 
@beaglador , I haven't been able to e-mail the secretary yet, she's been away again in Scotland (her mum passed away), but I will Monday and ask her to mention it to the OS on Tuesday when he is at the hospital if she can. My letter came today confirming the day and time, and a comprehensive questionnaire to fill in and take to the pre op assessment. Worryingly though, no mention of any joint replacement class. I e-mailed the physio department today about it, but no reply yet. Strangely enough, I feel quite calm, now it's officially in print (it probably won't last) :scare:. This waiting is such a roller coaster of emotions.
Thank you @Celle for your advice it's appreciated.
Love, Tabbycat :kittykiss:
 
Here in NZ, I don't know of any hospital that holds joint replacement classes. However, my surgeon has produced a comprehensive booklet, which he gives to all his patients, along with his own, verbal explanations.
 
Once the swelling went down, the pain has been very manageable. I even went out yesterday to target in an electric cart which was a fun little outing from getting so stir crazy.
Target in two weeks, something to look forward to. Problem is I am dangerous in one of those electric carts.
 
Hi Tabbycat. You sounds just like me! I haven't scheduled surgery yet due to high anxiety. I'm just all around terrified! Never been in the hospital before and never had surgery. Course, if I don't have them done soon I won't be walking! Interesting thread and very helpful! Good luck to you!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm not sure if a spinal and an epidural are the same. When I had surgery on my meniscus, I was still breastfeeding my daughter, so wanted the least amount of medication in my system as possible. I asked for an epidural rather than the general anesthesia they were going to give me. I remember being on the operating table when they were jyst getting started. The surgeon repositioned my knee, and I could feel it. I spoke up right away. The anesthesiologist said something to me, obviously upped the dosage, and next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery. So my experience was that even with an epidural, I was out like a light.

That said, I agree with others that you should talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist and express your concerns and wishes. I wholeheartedly believe in advocating for yourself in medical issues.
 
Thanks @Judywade109, I know I need this done, and I won't chicken out, I just need help to conquer my nerves. I will tell you this though, if I can get through this, anyone can, and if I can help someone else take the plunge I will :yes:
 
Hi @Tabbycat until yesterday I was completely calm about the anaesthia as I had such a good experience during my LTHR in 2014, but now I'm beginning to worry. Yesterday I spoke to a friend who recently had a TKR by my surgeon and he said he was awake for, at least some of his op. Not because he asked to be. Yikes! Now with only 2 days to go I have something else to worry about. I am also fighting what seems to be a mild virus and the surgeons secretary has said I should turn up on the day (6:30am) and the anaesthetist will decide if I'm fit for surgery. O joy!
How did your pre op appointment go? Did you get your anaesthesia question sorted?
 
I spoke to a friend who recently had a TKR by my surgeon and he said he was awake for, at least some of his op. Not because he asked to be. Yikes! Now with only 2 days to go I have something else to worry about.
Prior to your surgery, speak the the anesthesiologist about your concerns. Make sure he is aware of this so that you can be out of it for the entire time!
 
Hi @beaglador, you must have read my mind, I was just wondering where to post about my pre-op today, I didn't want to derail someone else's thread, because I've also been following @Dawni and @CaliGirl on this topic. I went into the pre-op a little nervous and sat down with the nurse to go over my questionnaire. It was quite comprehensive and included a HADS (Hospital Anxiety and Depression Score) which I hadn't seen before. I was within range on the depression part, but 'at risk' on the anxiety bit. The nurse said the surgeon, anaesthetist and nursing staff all read this questionnaire. The question of anaesthetic came up quite early on in the conversation and the dreaded 's' word was mentioned. I immediately spoke up and said its a no go for me. The nurse did try to convince me it's the best thing and preferred, but the reason she gave was that they don't like to give GA's for an operation of that length! I quoted a statement I found on www.frca.co.uk (Anasthaesia UK) about spinal anasthaesia for total knee replacement which says "It is advisable to use general anasthaesia with definitive airway control for patients who do not wish to be awake". To be fair to her she did listen to my objections, and could see I was getting upset, but said it is something to be discussed with the anaesthetist himself. I checked whether a urinary catheter would be used, the nurse said not as a rule unless you cannot pass water afterwards. One sigh of relief! I made a point of asking for anti sickness meds if given morphine. Blood thinners are in tablet form and it's not warfarin so no blood monitoring, and no Heparin injections, yippee! By the way, did you know Heparin is made from animal products? I didn't. Another nurse came in to do my blood pressure, ECG, swabs, weight and height. The nurse described my urine sample as 'lovely' :) Then I found out that both nurses had been at my pre-ops in 2009 and 2008, and recognition dawned. This lightened the atmosphere a lot, and we ended up talking about the television programmes we remembered as kids, we must be around the same age. Then we ended up comparing hot flushes! One good thing was that the nurse confirmed its ok to use the Oestrogel, apparently it's the oral HRT which can increase risk of blood clots (another sigh of relief). The nurse advised to stop all herbal supplements a week before surgery, but my vitamin b complex and d3 are fine. Because I have a hiatal hernia I need a Lansoprazole tablet the night before and the morning of surgery just to ensure no acid reflux. I have to go back for a second blood test next week and the nurse rang earlier to say she has arranged for me to meet the anaesthetist after to talk about my concerns so at least it will get sorted the day before the op. I might take my husband in with me, there's safety in numbers.
Sorry for this rather long post and thanks if you have read this far, I hope it's been useful. Karen, discuss your fears with the anaesthetist, and don't agree to anything you are not happy with in your heart. I hope your virus doesn't come to anything, and that your op goes ahead as planned. Thinking of you and sending love,
From Tabbycat:kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom