TKR Amymj Recovery Thread

Thanks, ladies! Always encouraged to hear from you!
 
I am six weeks post op tomorrow RTKR (Jan.15)! The past two weeks have flown by! I think that has been a good thing. I have had a busy last two weeks caring for my teenage daughter who had orthognathic surgery. I will say this...I thought this TKR was tough, which it is, but I don't know if I have ever seen someone in more acute miserable pain than she has been for the first three days of her adventure! Both of her jaws were broken and her chin was realigned. She now has more screws in her jaws, chin, and face than I have ever seen in my (dental) career! She is doing just fantastic I am very happy to report! The young heal so quickly!

I was able to keep up very well during those two weeks, so I thought? I just want to see if anyone has had any experience with this particular pain I have been having the last three days. I need to qualify the situation by saying the left leg has had a busy 16 months. Hip was replaced Nov. 2016, arthroscopy/menisectomy left knee June 2017 and then the TKR was done six weeks ago. I am having pain down my femur on this side after walking about five minutes into being up. The pain is deep, does not feel like muscle or nerve pain, but bone. I see my surgeon on Tuesday but I am starting to get worried. Now that my daughter is better I feel like I can more fully concentrate on more rest, elevation. Do I need to worry that I have damaged something or is it just that I need to head back to a more sedentary lifestyle? Thank you in advance, any input would be appreciated.
 
Is it your left knee that is having this new pain, @amymj ? Not the right, TKR knee?

It could be that it is reacting to the increased activity while it is the main support for your right knee, but I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you, so we can see the location of this pain and she can possibly offer more detailed advice.

And yes, now your daughter is feeling better, ease off the activity and spend more time resting icing and elevating.
 
yes, this is on the left side. It runs down the side of my leg. At night at reat the area of my (replaced) hip side hurts as I was thinking I had some bursitis? Then after walking for about five minutes it starts to hurt down the side of my leg, a deep "bony" pain. No denying that I have been up and about too much the last two weeks... :(
 
I should add my knee feels pretty good! Most of my pain is associated with the exterior hip and down the side of my leg.
 
Back
Top Bottom