TKR Amymj Recovery Thread

Thanks for the recommendations. One would think with all the surgeries I have had I would be still OK with the hydrocodone. I think part of my problem is that I have Ehler-Danlos, so some meds produce paradoxical reactions and I just can't tolerate them, even rather unexpectedly!. The best is my giant ice pack!!!! And plenty of time on the couch! Thanks everyone!
 
You must have been exhausted after your day yesterday. I can't imagine how awful it must have been sitting and waiting. Hopefully there was room to put your leg up. Maybe it led to more sleep? Did you drive there? Last time my PT had me drive at week three. I'm really backing off the drugs so hopefully that will happen next week again. Does your "sore place" move around in your leg? Mine does. Sometimes it's one side or the other but mainly it's deep inside. I guess that's where they do the most work but the ache is a pain in more ways than one. Try to rest and ice today. Can you stay home?
 
There is a spot in the recliner today for most of the day today! I am looking forward to that!! I am going to an acupuncture appointment and then will just be homebound. I have been driving. Very close distances though, my surgeon said as long as clear 4 hrs. of hydrocodone. I am down to one at night which I feel is pretty good? Being tired sure makes the emotions go all over the place!!!
 
I agree about the emotions. I alternate with being pleased with my progress and incision and being down due to the aches and boredom. There are just so many Blue Bloods and NCIS that I want to watch! We have Netflix but I've never used it. Maybe now is a good time to check it out but I really have no interest. I think the "blue days" have arrived but I know they won't last long. Time to tough it out! Have fun with the acupuncturist. I've never tried it.
 
I first tried acupuncture about six months ago? I have found it helpful for pain relief. Today was my first session after surgery. It is very relaxing and when I got home I had the best long nap. My acupuncturist is wonderful, it had been recommended to me by my PCP and surgeon. My joints just keep failing and so I use different modalities to help control pain. Know its not for everyone but I have found it helpful.
 
I don't remember feeling so antsy

OMG!! Me too! I feel like I have ants in my pants constantly. You’d think it would be a nice break to lie around all day and read or watch TV. I HATE it. Seriously, I am having such a tough time sitting around ALL day. Bored out of my mind. I don’t like looking at my bed and getting anxious.

Now the little things like driving to the pharmacy and going to PT or lunch are like going to Disneyland

Can’t wait to get back to the gym and work.

My friend gave me the best advice last night. She said do something in your house that you never have time for like cleaning out a junk drawer or organizing photographs. So I’m actually going through my old photos so I can digitize and create some photo books for my daughter who is away at college.

For what it’s worth....
 
3 weeks in today! Second (left) TKR was Jan. 15. I am feeling better and stronger every day. My pain is managed well during the day with Tylenol and Ibuprofen and Tylenol combo on p.t. days. I still take a small amount of hydrocodone in the middle of the night as I always wake up around midnight with quite a bit of pain. Am tapering though as I seem to have the tendency to be quite uncomfortable if I just quit narcotics.

I might add I also use essential oils on sore muscles and also do acupuncture once a week. I have to use all kinds of different things to manage pain, don't tolerate meds well. P.T. is going well...I go three times a week. my ROM is 128 but please don't compare yourselves to me as I have hypermobile joints. I really need to work on strengthening my muscles but I will slowly and gently.

Sleep is pretty good, I still wander around once or twice a night but not working right now allows for naps during the day. Icing and elevating cannot be overstated! Also not pushing one's self to the point of exhaustion is important. These lessons I have learned!

My family, friends, coworkers are huge blessings to me...I really hope to be able to one day return their favors. I hope everyone is doing well. This is not for the faint of heart but I believe if you are well informed and have this wonderful support system on Bonesmart, you will find many friends and encouragement. Hang in there everyone, there is something about hitting that three to four week timeframe!!!
 
Great 3 week report. I’m trying to taper off pain medicine also. That point of exhaustion hits you in the face, and bam, you’re done! I know this from experience, I think we all do! A ROM of 128 at 3 weeks is amazing, that’s about what my 6 month old left knee has. My flex with this knee isn’t as good as my first one, but I know, don’t compare. Like you said, being well informed helps.
 
Good to hear from you, jboles! I hope you are doing well. It is so easy to compare, esp. when we have done two knees. I hope your recovery continues to go well!!!!
 
Girlfriends, I think the stars were aligned for us the week of January 15th, 16th and 17th. I have to stop and remind myself that that is just 21 days! Our bodies are amazing healers. As the old lady in our group, I could not be more pleased for all of us. I come from a family that our insurance guy says has longevity, i.e., we live long lives. I figure these new knees should keep me going a long time. My mom lived till she was 94 and I can remember watching her "waddle" every morning on her arthritic knees. She never had replacements. I had begun to waddle, too. Not an attractive sight. So - we should be good to go. Now - where to go? Anywhere we want!!!
 
Right on, MS girl!!! I like your thinking! I'm hoping you are doing well too?
 
I’ve been waddling for a while now, I sure hope I can learn to walk correctly again. We sure have come a long way for 3 weeks, it will be amazing what the next 3 weeks will bring!
 
You will definitely learn to walk right again. There is no one who can stop you! It will be fun to see where we are in three weeks. Probably not the dramatic changes we've already had but that's okay with me.
 
You are all really encouraging me, my surgery was a week behind yours. Last night was one of my best, I was able to stay in our bed the entire night and avoided the “witching hour” midnight pain that had been plaguing me. This morning I even laid on my sides for a few minutes. Hopefully I’ll be driving next week, I’m no longer taking narcotics and go back to OS tomorrow.
Love your positivity!
 
@LuckyKY, fantastic that you slept in the bed! I've been in the recliner for awhile. You have inspired me to try the bed tonight. Thank you!
 
@LuckyKY most nights I’m able to stay in bed, but if I do wake up, it’s usually around 4am, then I head to potty and downstairs for an ice pack and the recliner.
 
Question for anyone to chime in, I don't remember this happening with my first TKR. I am having difficulty sitting in the car, there's something about where the seat hits the back of my leg (behind my knee). Really makes for some deep bone pain. My knee really isn't that swollen, there's just something about sitting that way (or in a dining room chair at the table). Is it a circulation issue? Does not feel like nerve pain at all. On Monday I will be four weeks post op. Thanks every/any one for help.
 
I've had more pain behind my knee this time too. Before this surgery, the anesthesiologist put in 5 or 6 shots in a small place behind my knee. They hurt a lot going in and were supposed to help with the pain later. I don't know if they helped but have wondered if that's why I'm having this aching behind the knee. I had lots more bruising there this time also. Maybe just a result of doing different things inside my knee but I'll be happy when it ends. Hope yours does soon too.
 
Could it possibly be tourniquet pain? I was really bruised with this knee on the back of the thigh especially. It’s almost gone now.
 
Question for anyone to chime in, I don't remember this happening with my first TKR. I am having difficulty sitting in the car, there's something about where the seat hits the back of my leg (behind my knee). Really makes for some deep bone pain. My knee really isn't that swollen, there's just something about sitting that way (or in a dining room chair at the table). Is it a circulation issue?
I had this after both my TKRs. I think it's something to do with the way the seat presses on the back of your leg, which may have some impact on the angle of your femur in the knee joint itself.

For me, it gradually went away, as my knees healed.
I did find it was helpful if I could put something under my feet, so that my leg was lifted slightly and the seat didn't press against the back of my leg as much.
 
Back
Top Bottom