Guest viewing is limited

THR Am I being daft?

@Tiggy
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Tiggy,
I see, from the posts you made in the pre-op area, back in 2016, that you had loosening of the femoral stem of your THR and that you needed a revision.

Did you ever have that revision and, if so, when?
There seems to be a big gap in your history about your hip. It would be a big help if you can fill us in on what's happened between 2016 and now.

Why did you have an injection into your hip?
 
Since original op in 2016 I have had countless bone scans/x-rays etc these have shown a slight improvement In the overall condition of the stem. In as much there has been less “uptake” on bone scans and no marked increase in any pedestal effect of stem.

My consultant decided to give the whole process a 2 year and review as in some cases complete recovery for uncemented hips can take this long to heal. I am still getting thigh pain and unable to walk without a walking stick as I get what can only be described as “tired pain” in my thigh and more recently the hip does a double clunk where if moved in certain positions, especially if I turn over in my sleep, it Hurts at the time then throbs for a good while

After I was sent for an injection into my tendon but that was not done as there was no evidence the tendon was “snapping” so as a last diagnostic resort my consultant said he’d inject Novocain (no steroid) into my hip to see if it gave me any relief from start up thigh pain and general discomfort.

Had the procedure today and only when I got home I thought to ask how it was going to work in an artificial hip joint. I’m in a lot of discomfort in my groin so not aware of any change. Not even sure what to expect, how long it’ll last or how it can work when it was injected into a false hip!

Thank you for your reply.
 
Thank you for the update.

@Josephine - can you comment on the injection Tiggy has had, please?
 
Such injections have a dual purpose.
1. is to see if the injection will resolve the pain completely in which case it will be clear this is the site of the pain
2. if it does not resolve the pain then it is clear that the pain is arising from a different source

In other words, the injection is both therapeutic and diagnostic.
 
Thank you Josephine, my head couldnt get around how can injection into something that’s artificial stop the pain as it doesn’t feel pain! But I suppose it’s the surrounding bone etc that will gain benefit. How long roughly will I feel the benefit for? Because I’ve just had a really good nights sleep!
 
How long roughly will I feel the benefit for?
Hard to say as everyone reacts differently to these injections. Glad you have already seen a benefit. Long may it continue.
 
I have presume that because it was just local an no steroid then the pain I’m experiencing today is because it’s worn off...so basically I went through 50 mins of an unpleasant procedure for 6 hours relief...
 
@Tiggy I'm sorry that the injection did not provide more relief for you. I do know that in my situation, I had a number of injections and some provided no relief and some a couple hours. The most relief I had from one was almost 2 weeks.

I hope you find out what is causing your pain so that you can get it resolved. Hang in there!
 
Thank you for your reply! I think this injection was just diagnostic, to see if after the pain in my thigh would go with LA...I hoped for a week or so but since it’s just LA then after a few hours I suppose it wears off...consultant said if pain went then it is hip and that means I may get my revision now. I just thought it’d last a bit longer xx
Hope your revision recovery is going well @Marvy
 
When do you have to report back to your surgeon about the injection? Since it helped for only a short time, it might be a good idea to tell him that, sooner rather than later.
You'll let us know what he says, won't you?
 
My appointment will be in 2 weeks. I’ve got to keep a pain diary for those 2 weeks but I’m sure relief was so short because it was just LA with no steroid. It was just a diagnostic injection, obviously if it’s numb it’ll be the hip. I presume it’s like having your tooth numbed, when LA wears off you’ll Feel the pain again! At least I can report to consultant I had a few hour relief xx
 
So sorry :console2:
Prayers you find relief :prayer:
@Tiggy
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom