TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

I was able to do a backward rotation on my recumbent bike. It was a week or so before I could do a forward one. Have you tried the backward rotation?
 
I was able to do a backward rotation on my recumbent bike. It was a week or so before I could do a forward one. Have you tried the backward rotation?

I haven't no! At what stage where you able to pedal a full rotation?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I rotated backwards at around 4 weeks. I had been rocking back and forth without going around for about a week. My seat was all the way back, plus a was sitting on a pillow to make me higher and further away from the pedals. Oh, and I cheated a little bit by lifting up my right butt to make me even higher! But, I finally was able to do it! My bike is a recumbent, which I find easier than a upright to begin with.

And remember that I did no PT at all, just ADL, so my swelling was no bad at all. That had a lot to do with how I could do a rotation at 4 weeks. Swelling is what's holding you back.
 
Last edited:
hi Ireland liz...congrats on the 90 degrees flexion ~ sounds like you are experiencing small improvements. when your knee is ready to do the full rotation on the bike, you will know it and you won't be afraid to let it happen...it will just happen, just like that. how do i know? i finally made a full rotation, just a couple of days ago ~ just happened. last time i tried, a couple weeks ago, i could only go half way ~ there would be no way i could go all the way round as it hurt when i was stopped at half way. i'm not sure what exactly happens, maybe some swelling subsides; whatever it was, i'm thrilled even though it took such a long time (7 plus months). you will get there too. great to hear you're working on your jewellery making ~ good for you.:wreath:
 
@liam2015 that's great news! It's so funny but you feel there should be a celebration :wowspring:when we reach milestones because this is such a bumpy journey fraught with lots of impediments along the way! When I realized my leg was at 90 degrees yesterday I wanted to tell everyone lol but only my Bonesmarties can really understand the elation I felt.

I am still staying close to home more than I ever did before and only going out when I absolutely have to. The one other thing I have never mentioned is that I still cannot bear anything tight on my knee so the silky palazzo pants I bought prior to surgery are all I basically wear - I cannot bear to wear my stretchy jeans even or leggings!! My leg is 'tight'' enough! Is anyone else in the same boat? :bawl:

@sistersinhim i am going to try those backwards rotations but I do feel the rocking back and forth definitely helps too :-)
 
Yes, yes, yes, about having trouble wearing certain pants!!! I wear only shorts at home. My husband is cold all the time so our thermastat is much higher than most people, so shorts work for me.

Going out is an issue. The most comfortable pants are my oldest and worst looking jeans. But, hey, my knee tolerates them. But the minute I get home my knee knows it and screams for shorts.

I did buy new pants recently, they are a looser fit and a thin, dressier knit that my knee is tolerating ok.

My daughter is getting married soon. I bought a beautiful long dress. I tried to on pantyhose and there’s no way I can get them on, I can’t bend my knee enough. They were always difficult when I was young thin anyway! So I tried knee highs. Oh my goodness, the knee high made my knee feel like sharp spikes were driving into my knee. And they didn’t even touch the knee!!! It looks like I will be wearing bare feet and sandals. Thankfully it’s a long dress.

And I am almost 9 months post op. When will it end???
 
@Irelandliz ! I am so happy for you! 3 months out and now at 90! This gives me hope. I'm being so pressured by my Doc to push through all this and get to 120 by the next time I see him. I thought that was insane and off the richter scale... I am so disappointed I have a doctor like this. I wish I could change Doctors. I feel I have no support for where I truly am. sigh. I have to go back and refresh on your thread to see your progress again as I feel it will give me much needed hope at this stage. I'm 6 weeks out from my original TKR and 4 weeks out from my 2nd MUA surgery. So the OS tells me I'm really only at 4 weeks Post Op which shocks me even further that he wants me at 120 in 3 more weeks!
 
@sistersinhim i am going to try those backwards rotations but I do feel the rocking back and forth definitely helps too :)
I started with just rocking back and forth for at least a few weeks before I even attempted to do a backward rotation. Rocking is a really good thing for working on your bend.
 
@funkymuse
I am really sorry that you are being pressured, I have felt that too but as I have come to learn on this forum you have a voice and it is your body, no-one else's! Speak up and voice your feelings.

I can't believe they expect you to get to 120 degrees, I imagine your knee is a puffball like mine was with so much swelling and a constant tight band above the kneecap! With all that fluid in there your knee can't be expected to bend so far!!

I tried PT and I was in so much pain and discomfort afterwards that I decided, on the advice of my friends on this forum, to stop and be kind to myself. Although the progress is slow it is still progress :happydance:and although I only recently stopped using my cane I am able to walk without it now quite easily. So progress will come as the leg is allowed to heal.

Please don't be discouraged and come on here as frequently as you like with each of your issues - start your own thread so everyone can find you easily and follow you, as I will most definitely.

:roseshwr::loveshwr:
 
I am now at 4 1/2 months and am walking normally, most of the time anyway. When I have been sitting with my legs up and I want to get up to walk, the pain is quite sharp and debilitating for about 2-3 minutes until I am moving again. Same if I am sitting with my knees at 90 degrees for more than 10 minutes - I have to stand and Stretch like a cat before I can actually walk properly.

However...... I have come a long way and am able to poke fun at myself now when I whinge in company lol I am not doing any Physio other than daily walking and some sessions on my exercycle and every day it gets a bit easier to drive.

Thanks again to all my cheerleaders - all the advice was and is appreciated [emoji173]️[emoji173]️
 
Last edited:
My last thread said 5 weeks so I felt I needed a new title also because I couldn’t find my last thread lol

I am just about at 22 weeks post op on a RTKR and although I am driving (albeit just in my neighborhood) and I am walking (mostly in my home and occasionally at the grocery store) I still find that I am in quite a bit of pain. I rarely take pain pills now but instead reach for my polar cube when I’m in pain and although I am not doing anything very energetic I find that my knee is always swollen.

I have not done PT as I felt it wasn’t in my best interests- I felt that I was taking one step forward and three steps back when I went there - and honestly just the day to day use of my knee felt like it was enough exercise. I couldn’t cope with the swelling and pain the PT caused.

I have purchased a desk cycle but find even that just makes my knee swell even more so I am endlessly strapped up to my polar cube.

Is there an end to this do you think or am I going about my recovery all wrong?
 
@Irelandliz
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
You may find that taking Tylenol will help with the pain you are experiencing.
You are still very early in this year+ long recovery, you have quite a bit more healing ahead of you.

I am going to tag @Josephine our Forum Director and Nurse, to help figure out why you are still in a lot of pain.
 
Hi Elizabeth, I was actually thinking of you today, that we haven’t heard from you in a while. I figured it was because you were feeling better. I’m sorry you’re not yet.

I’m not really doing so great either, with some new discomforts. I am trying the hang in there and let time do it’s thing for my knee. I have my one year check up in 2 months and will get X-rays then. It’s been a long 10 months for me!
 
@Pumpkln Thank you for your suggestion - it's so funny but I couldn't find my original thread so thank you for merging the two - if it's possible maybe I could change the name to Looooong recovery!! Lol I'm sure everyone would agree :heehee:
 
@Jockette so nice to see you again - I have been trying to stay positive and then I remembered that my friends at BoneSmart are the ones to chat to about this :bawl:

I am really sorry to hear that you are not doing so great either! I definitely understand the ups and downs of this well maybe for now just the downs :boohoo: and I also understand what you say about new discomforts!! Sending you a hug :tada:

My knee, when I concentrate to take full normal steps, clicks. So I end up limping again :flabber: when I am walking, I am usually ok - its the sitting down and getting up is the problem - maybe I should be doing some exercises to try and strength my quads but honestly when I try the swelling starts and I forget about it for another few days. :thud:

Hubby is on at me to go and see the OS again but each visit is the same - 'why aren't you at PT', and then he presses on my shin towards the table to get more ROM at which I usually yowl lol

Ice is my friend!! Oh and Tylenol lol
 
Your thread title is changed. Anytime you want to update your title let us know and someone will change it for you.
 
Hi all
So now at 5 1/2 months and am walking in my neighborhood every morning now. I just increase the distance a little every day and I am finding that even after a few weeks my leg is not quite so tight! The pain is still there though during the day - every time I get up off a chair which is very frustrating. I ice every day and thank goodness for my polar cube - it definitely offers pain relief.

I still can't say I'm happy I have had this operation. I can only hope I will continue to improve.

Thank you again to all the people on here that have given me wonderful advice!
 
Hi Elizabeth, great to hear from you!

That’s great that you are walking, and that being in Florida you have walking weather! Walking is the best thing you can do!

I can’t wait for warm weather that will last. It’s in the 30s in Delaware right now. But going up close to a shocking 70-ish mid next week.

I’m not ready to say I’m happy I did this either. Maybe someday.

Take care!
 
hi there ~ i'm sure you will improve. i found that 7 months post op was a turning point for me when i noticed i could go down the stairs easier and could finally pedal my bike. almost 10 months post op and even better, especially after a vacation in jamaica.

when you say you have pain when you get up off a chair, is it more stiffness than pain? just wondering. the stiffness in my case is subsiding. i was sitting in a very cramped seat on an airplane recently for over 4 hours and i wasn't too stiff...yes i was a little stiff, but i think anyone would be after 4 hours and not getting up, even to go to the bathroom. i'm happy for you that you are out walking every day ~ that's a huge improvement.:thumb:
 
Back
Top Bottom