Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

@Jockette Yes I often forget that the rest of America doesn't share the weather we have here in South Florida - sorry :flwrysmile: I'll send some sunshine up your way!!

I just removed the high seat off my loo this week but am wondering if I made the right decision :flabber: it's the getting down is the problem - it reminds me just what a big surgery this was!!

Do you still struggle to get into the car? I find it uncomfortable to get in the passenger side, more than the drivers side, because I can lead with my dodgy knee on the drivers side.

It was nice to hear from you again Jockette :loveshwr:

@liam2015

So nice to hear from you!

I bought one of those desk cycles but honestly have not tried to use it yet. I'm just happy doing the walking for now.

I do have moments of aching pain when I rise from a seat but it passes in 5-10 seconds. The stiffness is there most of the time. When I walk I am aware I am still limping but only slightly. When were you aware you were finally walking normally without a limp?
 
I would keep using the raised toilet seat. Staying at a friend’s house at 4 months post op and painfully struggling all weekend with their standard low seat caused a major set back for me that took 2 months for me to recover from! (we had an out of town wedding in that 2 month period that set me back also) We’ve had the higher seat for years so even before surgery I wasn’t used to the low ones anymore.

I do still struggle getting in and out of the car on the driver side. Not so much on the passenger side.
 
Just read your last post @Irelandliz and apart from the high toilet seat (I’m still sliding leg away to get down), desk cycle and sun (it is sunny here but cold!), your post would sound like what I would post!
I’m 16 weeks out and still limp slightly but I’m still only doing short walks. I was doing too much and had to back up my exercise and daily living. Sounds like your on track to me.
 
hi again Irelandliz ~ to answer your question about my awareness of whether i was limping or not, i don't know. in spite of my flexion being very slow to improve, i never used a cane and i only used the walker for 3 weeks as i felt quite comfortable walking and found i was carrying the walker as it was easier to walk without it. i tried to bring awareness to my walking technique, especially in public or if anyone was watching. of course i would slack off when alone.

i also discarded the raised toilet seat at the 3 week mark because i couldn't stand my leg hanging. just be cautious sitting and getting up and for now, try to hang on to something solid, like the bathroom counter to help you until you feel more comfortable. i still use support sometimes even though i don't need to. i try to practise sitting on the toilet, lowering my body slowly and same getting up. (i've been known to have a crash landing on the toilet lol). it's possibly good exercise for my quads. getting in and out of the car is a lot easier now ~ remember i am 4 months ahead of you.

your walking will eventually help the swelling to subside. it's also great that the stiffness you mentioned subsides after 4 to 5 seconds. you are almost half way through this (approx.) year long recovery. you'll get there.:flwrysmile:
 
@Jockette
Thanks for your reply I am definitely more comfy on the drivers side because my dodgy leg goes in first lol - I still stress getting out of the passengers side though!

@Gel-girl thanks for your input :-) I have walked about four times this week, not every day and I only go up to about 2000 steps adding a few more each day. Once I get home I put my polar cube on and ice my knee for an hour or more to keep the swelling to a minimum.

I have tried the desk cycle once or twice but am afraid I'm going to get sore so I only do a wee bit at a time!

I saw the surgeon on Friday and he was pleased finally with my range of motion. As I was told on here - my rom would come right in its own time and it has, just by walking. Nothing else!

@liam2015 you are right about the walking - who knew! Lol. I thought I would be always struggling with the swelling as long as I am walking but doing so has definitely helped move the fluid away from my knee. In fact now my knee has some shape again and is not just a big round blob.

I am finally feeling more normal than I have in six months - woohoo!! :wowspring:
 
@Irelandliz - If you want to work on getting rid of the raised toilet seat, remember that you use the same muscles to sit on a dining chair and get up again. Practice sitting down and standing up again with the dining chair, using no hands.
Then try doing it with a chair that has a lower seat. When you're confident doing that, try it with the toilet.
 
I second using dining chairs for practice. I don’t have lower toilets at home, so used dining chairs and the ones out on my screen porch (wrought iron and sturdy). Don’t do it too quickly, though that’s easier. As your legs get stronger, you will find all lower seating stops being a problem.
 
Dining seat practice good idea. I just glide down with foot out. I too crash land on the loo occasionally! I appreciate the worry about the ROM too, more so lately as I can’t see it changing - I have the stationary bike side onto a mirror (nice sight). I can’t believe so many Bonesmart people are so wrong and that ROM will eventually arrive. We have to have faith in those that it’s happened to however difficult it is to believe. There’s too many of them!!! I can’t wait for the day I’ll have full ROM back and can ride my bikes, stationary and real, once again. It’ll be epic
:bicycle1:
 
Hi Everyone,
Well since my last message I have gone through quite a few weeks of the Blues. I have mastered the art of standing up and sitting down without aid so am thrilled about that, even though it took me seven months to do so :umm: but I am there so Yayyyy!! :yes!:
I have had a few other issues though with my ankles being very sore on and off which leads me to think it's something I'm doing to make them ache. I have also been having shooting pains in my new kneecap which don't last long but take my breath away for a few moments. I still am like a 90 year old unfit old lady when I rise from the sofa - for the first mnute anyway. It is indeed a sight to behold!!! And not in a pleasant way sadly.

Has anyone else had issues like this?:beg:
 
I think the shooting pain in the kneecap area is probably something we call zingers. They are the nerves in the knee that trying to reattach. I still have minor ones in my numb spots.
 
There are certain sofas that I can’t get up from without help, my son has one!
 
There are certain sofas that I can’t get up from without help, my son has one!

I often think of that movie with Reese Witherspoon Sweet Home Alabama when Candace Bergen catapulted out of the recliner Lok and I think that's what I need when I sit on our sofa... Hubby refuses to buy recliners sadly [emoji30]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think the shooting pain in the kneecap area is probably something we call zingers. They are the nerves in the knee that trying to reattach. I still have minor ones in my numb spots.

Yes I remember those from the early days of recovery and thought they were behind me lol - I guess not! My leg, below the knee on the lateral side is still completely numb so the zingers aren't rejuvenating those nerves sadly [emoji30]. But life is good and I'm starting to be grateful I had the surgery [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I still have the same numb spot, too. My left knee has areas of numbness from all the surgeries on it, too. I think it's just a byproduct of have numerous surgeries.
 
Hubby refuses to buy recliners sadly
[Bonesmart.org] Almost one year, still a bit sore
Personally at this point in my life I don’t like recliners. They don’t just put your feet up, they tip your upper body back and my back and neck don’t like that. I do better sitting upright with my feet on an ottoman.

I’m glad you’re starting to be glad you had the surgery.
 
Personally at this point in my life I don’t like recliners. They don’t just put your feet up, they tip your upper body back and my back and neck don’t like that. I do better sitting upright with my feet on an ottoman.

I’m glad you’re starting to be glad you had the surgery. I’m not there yet.:boohoo:

That's what I do too - put my feet on an ottoman and sometimes when I'm making jewelry I forget to get up and move around and when I have to get up, for the loo or something I can barely hobble - it is not a pretty sight lol

I am still using my polar cube and I think that has helped my recovery more than anything. Do you still use yours?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
No, I stopped icing at about 6.5 months, it started to actually hurt. I figured at that point I didn’t have enough swelling to “cushion” the cold feeling, if that makes sense.
 
I love this talk about ottomans. Anyone remember when they were called"hassocks" .. Used that word at a furniture store this weekend with a young person and she just stared at me. My son was along and said " she means ottoman".haha...I googled, of course and the answers are all over the map! Found this from a 1953 newspaper.
[Bonesmart.org] Almost one year, still a bit sore

Hassock, ottoman, footstool..WHATEVER. ....THE TKR friend.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom