TKR Almost one year out

Hi everybody

I’m just back from a little trip to town,after a week of driving I still find it a little sore,not enough to stop doing it and sometimes it worse than others. I had to visit my GP this morning as I had backache and groin pain that I was putting down to my many many different sleeping positions:heehee: But when I started feeling nauseous and generally unwell I had it checked out and turns out I have a kidney Infection.

I was telling my GP all about bonesmart and she was intrigued but also said well I suppose it makes perfect sense to be getting advice from people who have been through it !!!

I had a couple of little jobs to in town and we had to walk a little and then I had to queue in a place for about 5/6 mins but I tell you I’m only fit for bed after it :sleep:

I’m constantly amazed at how tired I get even when I feel very well I can get this “wash of tiredness” over me. Normally I would just carry on and do what I have to do and have an early bedtime but today I’m just going to rest.

Every day I’m delighted to say I’m doing more and more,I’m not sure I’m ever out of pain though but the pain was so bad before my TKR that I suppose I’m very accepting of a little pain now. I spoke to the GP about my other knee and she agreed with me that early next year seems like a good option. I don’t think I could do this again any sooner either mentally, physically or financially.

Hope everyone is as good as they can be !!!
 
Hi Cabu,
Bonesmart has been so helpful to me, as well!

I find myself at 4 months post op doing more and more each day, still listening when my knee speaks, and trying to stay patient!

I, like you will have my other knee done in the fall, too much of a summer person to give up the outdoor stuff! Someone told me the reason they do bilateral replacements is because you'd never come back!!

Take care and stay bone smart!
 
Yep Cabu totally agree Bonesmart has helped me a lot it should be standard practice by GP`s or surgeons to recommend this website after all the best knowledge only comes with experience and empathy. I too am doing a little more each day. Still have pain but different pain and stiffness but gradually it is diminishing hope you continue on your recovery. :dancy:
 
" Someone told me the reason they do bilateral replacements is because you'd never come back!!" :heehee: That sure is one of the reasons I had both hips done at the same time!

@Cabu The fatigue you feel is part of recuperation from any major surgery and alas can last for months ... though it does eventually go away! Your body is doing a lot of healing - not just the incision area but inside too! And healing happens a lot when you sleep.

It is wonderful to hear you are doing so well! I do hope your kidney infection heals quickly!
 
I went to my 8 week appt yesterday. I no longer need to go to PT. I think I have been to 15 sessions. they gave me exercises to do at home. The doctor asked me if I was ready to do the other knee.....I just laughed and said I think I'll wait awhile. I dont really have much pain but stiff when I first stand.
She asked me if I was happy I got it done.....I told her it still doesnt feel like my knee. I feel like I walk stiff legged more than I should. I have been able to walk 1 1/2 miles without any problem but I'm not sure I walk like a normal person yet. I have much back pain also but I'm told that is also normal along with the trouble sleeping. I've been working from home since week 3 but I am going back to the office starting Monday. The nice thing about working from home is if I get uncomfortable I can go sit in the recliner and ice if needed. We have the State Fair in August. I always look forward to going. I'm hoping by then I will be able to walk a bit better so I can enjoy it. I just keep telling myself next year at this time I'm going to feel fabulous!!
 
Gosh, you all sound like you’re doing great! The 2nd knee will be a piece of cake now that you know how BoneSmart works :heehee: . I had both mine done in a very short time period and I am really glad I did.
cabu, hope your kidney infection heals up quickly.
Let’s all keep the good times rolling!
 
So my “pretending to be normal”days have ground to a halt. Have a painful knee this morning for the first time in a good few days. I think it’s just from doing a bit too much and maybe a little too much driving so I’ll cut back on everything today and for the weekend.
I’m finding sleeping a real challenge the last two nights,no position is comfortable for more than 20mins or so and when I move it’s so painful it keeps me awake for ages again then “rinse and repeat” all night. My good leg(which coincidentally is also a bad leg :sad:)is probably causing me 75% of the problems, I’m just finding it difficult to find a position that both knees are pain free,so sleeping is difficult. I’m sure it will resolve itself though as I’ve found with this journey it doesn’t mind throwing up an oul challenge or two to keep us on our toes:wink:



,@SkiBikeHikeDude I’m sorry you didn’t get to go on your family trip but at least you know when you do get to go you won’t be worried about your physical limitations.

Instead of “work hard,play hard” we have to “rest hard,Ice and elevate hard” :heehee: for the moment anyway and don’t for get to dream big for all the things we are going to do with our new knees !!!!

Happy Weekend Smarties !!
 
Ah, elusive sleep! Cabu, I am far ahead of you in recovery and only this past week has sleep started returning to me, though not in the bed, still in the recliner. It’s just a fact of recovery that we have to get through. Rest up this weekend.
 
Hi all,
Just wondering about pain either side of knee ?
as my knee improves I get moments (and yes they are only moments )when I forget about my knee and I’m not guarding it as much. In one of these moments yesterday morning I was just sitting at the table having my eye opener morning coffee and whatever way I turned my knee the pain on the outside of it was excruciating!! It only lasted a couple of seconds but it took my breath away. It felt ok to walk on afterwards no obvious difference just a little achey around the side so I took a tramadol and some paracetamol and all day it was ok,I did try to ice and elevate a bit more than usual just in case.


It’s primarily on the outside of my knee which is also numb so when I rub it out I can feel it in my leg but not on the surface. It feels bruised,and last night in bed the inside of my knee also was cranky and I wasn’t at all confident turning over as I felt it didn’t feel solid or stable.This morning both inside and outside are achey not full on pain mode but I can feel a niggley ache on both sides.
Am I after injuring myself somehow or is this just something waking up and getting used to being moved again? is there any way of stretching/strengthening those bits of my knee ?my actual knee feels rock solid just all the bits around it are acting up
 
I could have written your post, @Cabu. My understanding of what you’re describing and what folks here call “zingers” is the nerves which were moved around during surgery are trying to get themselves back to normal and it takes a long time. I have had them when I am not moving at all, just sitting with my leg elevated.

I also have the numbness you spoke of and again, it is normal. So relax and know you’re not the only one having weird sensations and pains!
 
Thanks @FourCats,
I don’t mind the numbness at all!after I had my c-sections I had some numbness,some of which never recovered feeling and if it’s the same with my knee it won’t bother me too much,it’s just a pain when you have an itch on that spot :heehee:

The ever learning road of knee surgery recovery !!!

I’m planning on taking a little day trip to the beach tomorrow the weather here is nice for it (around 75 deg)it doesn’t get too much warmer than that here unless we are getting a really good summer, not too hot like some of the people here !!I hope all of you in the hot spots are keeping safe and well!

i don’t plan on doing anything when I get there only be lazy I’m not sure if I’ll go for a quick swim but mostly I’ll be sitting down enjoying the sea and all it entails. We live a little over an hr from the coast so it’s always lovely to visit and my hubby is driving so I don’t have to worry about that
 
Hi Cabu -I’ve been reading through your journey . I had RTKR on 4/2 and have had some setbacks. I also feel sharp pain on side and front of knee at times . I’m preparing to go to PT this morning . I’m still going twice a week bc of back and stomach issues some PT was delayed .
I think many of us feel the same as you . Just when I think things are better and moving forward I have a few not so good days . At this point not sure what to do but pray that all of this will resolve itself -the sooner the better ! Take care and glad your on board with this forum we are all climbing the hill together.
 
Roller coasters are fun, aren’t they? :banghead:
Cabu, you’re still early in the game - earlier than I am, but I still get the pains and ZINGERS! Don’t fret. Enjoy the beach. Take an ice pack along!
 
The numbness is a little weird feeling, but totally normal. Sometimes you will get a pain when you make a sharp move because your tissues are sensitive after surgery. I remember a few times where I "moved wrong" and ouch!
 
Hi Cabu i think i am in the same boat so to speak My PKR was a week before your TKR 19/04/2021. I do have the odd moments when i forget about my knee but only moments and the sharp pains can catch you by surprise. I am now back at work full time. I do take ibuprofen and paracetamol to help with the pain. But the pain is different from pre-op. More stiffness and swelling, ice and elevation help with this. The plus side i have found i walked over 3 miles combined yesterday at work. Pre-op i would have really struggled today with result of that but today a steadily got better as the day went on small improvements each week. I hope you enjoy the beach :dancy:
 
Hi everyone ….never got to the beach our car broke down on the way :sad:Such is life we went to a nearby river (more of a stream really )for a little while instead,I think if any one had seen us they may have called for help for us:heehee::rotfl: I walked into the little stream with the aid of a crutch and set up my foldable beach chair in the water (only about 9” deep) and I sat in there and watched the kids have fun,in a deeper part ……hopefully the beach is on the cards before the weekend as I think the weather is not to be too favourable next week !


I find myself being extremely nervous when I’m doing something I haven’t done in a while and when I’m walking I’m worried that I’ll fall over even though I’m quite steady on my feet I think it’s just the thoughts of the pain if I were to fall that makes me nervous.
 
Hi Cabu, I'm so sorry your coast trip became a river "sit"!

I have had those ouchy zingers plus have some considerable numbness in places, too. It happened last TKR as well, so it no longer alarms me, but I do address it with the magnesium gel I have, plus I massage that area fairly often, twice a day, typically. I use an herbal/CBD salve (which is legal where I live), and the combo of herbs seems pretty effective.

I've heard what FourCats suggests: it's nerves regaining their connections. That does make sense: when I dealt with carpal tunnel syndrome back in my early 40s, it took time to recover from nerve pain...

In my case, even in my "old" TKR knee, there are some slightly numb areas even now, 5 years later. So, I think massage has worked well for me, plus good old time...
 
Made it to the Sea today !!!

I was worried about the walking on the sand and the waves being too strong ……..I needn’t have worried it was the most perfect day spent a nice bit of time in the water which has done wonders for my knee,it’s the first time in 9 weeks when I felt normal,also the cooling effect of the water was like icing continuously and that in turn had a wonderful painkilling effect ….had no pain all day,home now exhausted but very happy:)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom