Guest viewing is limited

TKR Almost one year out

My surgeon gave me a “stomach protector” to take every morning before breakfast and said to take it as long as the antibiotics lasted, and I was still taking anti inflammatories. You can buy them otc in the U.K., don’t know about Eire. They really work, I forgot to take them sometimes and suffered like you. I live abroad now, mine are Omeprazole, but I’m sure a pharmacist could advise.
 
Hi Cabu!

Yeah, I joined the ODIC the other day, too! (OverDidItClub!) so opted out of PT today and am icing and elevating more, too.

I tend to also get digestive issues if I take antibiotics, so for me, at least, taking probiotics, or eating yogurt daily, etc. seems to keep the digestive demons at bay. I also found some digestive stuff that includes probiotics, the good bacteria that you need to replenish the ones wiped out by antibiotics. Whenever I have to take antibiotics, I immediately begin taking probiotics, or eating more yogurt, or taking Apple cider vinegar in warm water, or taking vitamins with probiotics... sometimes a bunch of those in one fell swoop!
 
You won’t get addicted my dr prescribed each week because of the restrictions and I was taking as much as I needed and they start cutting the amount you get after about 6 weeks if memory serves me. Stay ahead of the pain that worked best for me otherwise you’ll never catch up. Take care I’ll be back to it as I’m having my other knee done next Tuesday.
 
Hi hope everybody is doing ok ! Just wondering sometimes when I elevate my knee (usually on a stack of 3 pillows) it actually gives me pain in my knee. Is it something I’m doing wrong?it doesn’t happen all the time and I’m not overly conscious of where I put the pillows each time but I try to make sure that my whole leg is elevated

Anyway it’s supposed to be summer here but the weather is terrible so I’m back to walking around the house to try and get a bit of walking done. I’ve been doing a few jobs around the house but I try to do a job and then ice and elevate and rest. I try not to sit to long in the one spot but I our house is lovely and busy and there’s often people to chat to but I’ve discovered the hard way the sitting too long is a no no at this stage. I’ll be four weeks post op on Monday and although I’m not doing too bad I wouldn’t be half as good if I hadn’t stumbled across bonesmart. The advice and information I’ve gained has been brilliant and I’ve told a good few people about it.

Hope every one is having as good a day as they can and if not I heard a saying the other day and I think it’s apt for most of us here ...

“walk easy when the jug is full”

take care all !!!
 
Hi ghostpipe thanks for your reply,I also take stomach protectors,I have done since before surgery but I think the double antibiotics just pushed me over the edge of acidsville I found a solution thankfully in the form of a liquid acid suppressant that’s easily got OTC and I find if I take a small drop of it before I take the antibiotics it really helps
 
I hope your feeling better today !!it’s the easiest club ever to join
Re the stomach issues I’ve been taking an OTC liquid acid suppressant before the antibiotics and that seems to helping a lot also I read that bananas were good food for reflux so I’ve been having a banana for breakfast with a bagel or brown today most mornings.
 
Hi everyone,
1 month down and I feel as if I will never learn !!! On Sunday stayed in a sitting position with lots of little walking trips nearly all day. It was the first day I had no lying down or elevation time. We had a couple of visitors as it was my daughters birthday and I felt great all day no pain and I iced frequently while I sat and enjoyed chatting to my family,few twinges on Sun night not too bad,I slept pretty well,thankfully after week two I seem to have adapted well to the sleeping in a semi sitting position,anyway Monday I felt fine,delighted that I had no after effects of Sunday,I done my few jobs in the house and cooked the main meal,and before I knew it was 8pm and I hadn’t elevated my leg at all during the day. I felt good so didn’t think much of it
Woke this morning and my thigh was tight and swollen,my knee a little swollen but my ankle and foot were very swollen

So much for feeling like I was moving forward !!I’ve given the day (8.32pm here in Ireland )laying down with my leg up on a pillow stack,I drank plenty of water which of course meant plenty of trips to bathroom which is only next door so no issue. Thankfully my pain level hasn’t increased with the swelling but although it had gone down a bit from lying down I got up to eat dinner and I sat talking to hubby and kids for about 30 mins and it swelled right up again.

Is this a doing too much thing or a fluid retention thing ??the other ankle and foot are swollen also but no where near the size of my new knee leg.
Any thoughts??
 
Hi Cabu I to am only 48 and are 5 weeks post op from right P.K.R. I to found the fatigue really surprising and you get good days and bad days. I also thought i was a little to young for this but life sometimes gives you lemons instead of limes so to say. This forum is a life saver the members administrators are so helpful and supporting. I wish i had found it pre op it would have helped me prepare so much. I went into this thinking 4-6 weeks max and be back at it and walking miles a day. How naive i was its a roller coaster journey but with help and encouragement you can do it.
 
Swelling is very common when your knee is not ready to do what our minds think we can. Very often everything is fine at the time, but the the knee rebels later on.
 
@Ginger1210
Yep this forum is definitely a lifesaver. Like you I too only discovered it post op and it was only by accident as I was trawling through google the day after I was released from hospital looking for answers for a million questions that I seemed to have. Although my surgeon and hospital stay was great I didn’t realise just how little I knew about the operation id just had and the recovery that was to come. I think I’d become so worn out dealing with the pain of arthritic knees that I’d have agreed to anything the surgeon suggested. I suppose the notion of getting rid of the constant pain overshadowed all of the information I was given before the op and afterwards well the drugs were great any here I am four weeks later and learning by very small degrees what’s possible and what’s not. Hope your recovery continues in the right direction.
 
Yep I’m 4 weeks out too and Monday I went grocery shopping just 1/2 hour walking then sat for 1/2 hour waiting for my husband. So swollen! It is frustrating I think we’re feeling better but our knee isn’t. Gosh I sure pray in the next 4 weeks there will be some real improvement:yahoo::praying:
 
I keep saying one step forward two steps back - unless it’s baby steps !
im hoping I see some improvement in week 3 as at the moment I’m fed up !
 
Rollem, hang in there! Time will pass and bring healing.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom