TKR Almost one year out

Cabu, overall sounds like you are doing great! And remember, you are still healing and are only 12 weeks into a 52-week recovery! I hope you get the ankle and foot thing sorted out.
I think many of us get leery after knee replacement, not so much afraid of pain but of doing some damage to the new knee (which we rarely do!). I think you will eventually forget about the knee and go about your business.
Glad to hear you are not hung up on the numbers but focus on the functionality of the knee! I think that’s a good lesson for all of us.
Come back soon and let us know how things are progressing.
 
Hi Cabu. Sorry that you are having issues with body parts other than your knee, that must be demoralising for you.
Being ok with your old pain and afraid of your new pain is a case of “better the devil you know”, I’m the same. It’s a good thing, stops us from doing something stupid too soon!
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
Hi Cabu, I’ve got some achy places, too, similar to you from outside of operated leg from knee down through lower leg. To me, they seem to be places where my leg is now longer, since that was the shortened side due to my wonky crooked leg! I use a salve I have, legal in this state, that contains a bunch of herbs as well as some CBD oil… it seems to be quite helpful. If and when the pain was sharper and felt more like nerve pain, then I used some of the magnesium gel I’ve mentioned on it.

But, I’m back to doing lots of things I did before, minus working in our store on my feet…just working from home and going in a few times a week…

I’m having some shoulder issues, but that may be my fault for allowing my shoulders to try to do everything! Silly shoulders!
The shoulder issues could also be because I drove to Portland, 2+ hours away, on Wednesday, then drove back. I stopped twice on each 2 hour leg to walk around, and that really helped. I iced when I got there, though, and when I got back. Had to stop to charge up our electric car, so, since that’s also a bit new, am discovering charging stations near places I can get is a meal or do some useful errands… Next time, though, I’ll take my ice packs in a cooler so the ice is better at covering the leg area needed… my friend had peas but only a few in a little bag so it wasn’t that much help…

Hoping you get some good ideas here to aid in making your trip in a week or so easier!
 
Hi everyone
Hope everybody is doing well !!!
I’m 15 nearly 16 weeks post RTKR

I’m progressing well I would say,I been doing lots of things I wasn’t able to do up to this point in my recovery

I’ve had a three day trip with lots of driving very little icing (even though I had two lovely swims in the sea) and survived,actually more than survived I enjoyed the mini break with my family !!

I’m still having some degree of stiffness and pain but most of the time I’m not taking any painkillers. I would have said last week that I had reached the place I was in before I had the replacement regards ability to do things,drive,walk(any distance with discomfort)but this week I feel I’ve improved on that,not by a lot but there’s still a difference. Although I still walk pretty slow my gait is far more normal an my knee feels good and strong when I’m moving.
Stairs are still a pain in the butt and I can only do the side ways coming down good leg bad leg etc but I can go up pretty normally once I don’t rush it. Even the other day I had been on a little trip with my friends and on a spur of the moment we visited a castle …..if I had known before hand the amount of steps I wouldn’t have gone …BUT I managed them all and had no ill effect that night or the day after except tired legs. That feels like progress to me,I find myself planning more things out of the ordinary and not having to think about the ordinary everyday jobs as I do them

The fatigue is still something that exists and I find after a busy day or two it catches up with me so I’ve been having nice early nights to bed and lazy mornings:)
Once my kids go back to school the lazy mornings are out so I may as well enjoy them while I can !!

I’ll keep updating as I progress
Catherine.

please admin can you change my post name to 16wks and progressing
Thank you
 
Sounds great, Cabu! I think I’m about as you are, also at just about 16 weeks… doing more than I could do pre-TKR… I’ve gotten my stride longer by walking with Nordic Walking poles when I walk, but lately no energetic walking is safe due to really intense heat here, in the low 90s even in the middle of the night, plus smoke incursions from the frighteningly many fires around us. Sometimes I'm up in the middle of the night, so I'm still trying to be early to bed too! Good to hear you’re doing well at this point too!
 
Good to hear your doing ok @BBCG,the heat must be dreadful,I melt when it gets any way hot here so I couldn’t imagine that kind of heat. Also the smoke from the fires !!! I hope you and your family are able to keep safe from both x
 
Hi all
Four and a half month update !!


I’m doing very well thank god,I would say I have resumed “normal life” for me.I’m trying to walk a little more and longer distances,I wouldn’t have been walking much prior to surgery because of pain so that’s something I’m trying to build up again not in the least because I need to lose some weight. I rarely have to take any painkillers and even if I have a busy or heavy day once I can get to bed and elevate and do a bit of icing it seems to be enough. Once or twice I had to resort to painkillers but usually only Advil+paracetamol. My knee still swells and my thigh gets swollen and tight but not particularly painful.I still get the occasional zingers but they usually only last a few mins at a time.

As I said before I haven’t a clue of numbers re Rom or extension but I have a far better functioning knee than I had before surgery.some days when it’s swollen I can’t bend as much but once the swelling goes down the bend come right back
I’d say one of the most obvious improvements for me is I no longer walk like a penguin :loll::heehee:
My gait has improved dramatically. I remember reading on here of a poster that used to exaggerate his knee bend just doing everyday tasks and I started doing that around the house and our yard and concentrating on the heel to toe andalthough I’m sure I looked hilarious it’s seems to have paid off because I have what feels like a lovely straight walk.


As I have said before I did NO formal pt at all. I done gentle stretching and flexing exercises,heel pumps and (very) short walks. I was recently at a physio for work on my ankle and Achilles (on my operated leg) and I was telling her this and that I had taken time to heal my knee first and then use it and she was shocked. She said to me oh you were very lucky to get back all the function without exercising. I didn’t agree about being lucky but I let the hare sit. I think my decision at the start not to go this particular physio was correct as I feel she would have not understood the bonesmart way. And she is a wonderful physio and would often say that if it hurts don’t do it but I still think she would have struggled to appreciate my “lazy” way of recovery. However all I can say is that it has worked for me.

looking back over the last 4 and a half months I realise I had not a clue of the journey I was about to embark on,I think it happens a lot of people on here,your worn down from pain and your decreasing ability and even though I know my surgeon read out a page of side effects of surgery and general recovery guideline my pain brain just heard two words (which I don’t think were even said
:) :-) (:)Pain Free !!!!! …….that’s all I was thinking. And the irony of it is after TKR the pain is immense, in the days and weeks after you realise what you thought was pain and discomfort was actually a walk in the park !!!HOWEVER ………roll on time and slowly slowly things improve and every little milestone is to be celebrated and it feels like suddenly (even though it’s anything but) you don't have pain 24/7,you don’t have to brace yourself mentally for things and you do activities once again without having to be prepared medicinally and mentally !!!

while I’m aware that my recovery journey is far from over I’m enjoying the fact that my recovery journey is going well.

And looming over the horizon is the second knee which in my head has become 2022s problem.!!!

hope everybody’s recovery is going well
Catherine.
 
@Cabu I understand how you feel. I had tkr on July 29th my sons 18th birthday. I'm only 38 and have 3 children as well. 20,18,16. I'm used to being busy too. Three kids and I was working 60 to 80 hours a week outside the home. When I read your earlier post of breaking a sweat just emptying the dish washer. I was like Yup that was me too. I hope your doing well and sorry about the first few days of the start of your recovery.
 
Thank you for that great update and for confirming that we don’t have to do a painful rehab to have a great outcome. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everybody hope you are all recovering well !!!

I have two questions for anyone more than 5/6 months out from TKR

does the fatigue last this long or is it possibly just me ??
and secondly I’m having pain in my upper thigh and it feels bruised even though I haven’t done anything different in the last few weeks

On a plus note the knee itself is coming on nicely,I haven’t quite forgotten I’ve had it done just yet but there are definitely hours where it’s not an issue in any way which is good
 
Hi @Cabu ! I enjoyed reading your recovery thread. I am 3 weeks post-op and hope to be doing as well as you when I'm at 5 months. I remember that feeling last time of not thinking about the new knee and it finally feeling like it was my knee and not a new one. Looking forward to getting to that point. Best wishes on your continued recovery.
 
Hi everyone I hope everybody’s recovery is going smoothly. I’m almost a year out and I am happy that I had TKR. I have almost no pain in the knee at all and can bend and straighten it with ease. However I still find stairs a challenge,it feels like the outside of me knee tightens up as I’m climbing or descending stairs and then that gets painful and the knee can swell up depending on how many stairs I do.I still find if I do too much walking or standing or if I over exert myself that I know I’m going to have trouble after in the form of pain and swelling.That not withstanding even with these issues it’s a pleasure to be able to walk half normally again without a limp(mind you I’m kinda limping on the other side,that also need to be done) and to not be in constant bone on bone pain in that knee is incredible. Im just curious I suppose does anyone else have the same or other issue after a year and is it wishful thinking that this too will improve or is this as good as it gets
 
Yes, you will continue to improve well into your second year. I did and many others did, also. My whole leg was very tight that whole first year, but it relaxed over the second year, and my ROM also improved, as I continued to heal.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I’m having pain in my upper thigh and it feels bruised even though I haven’t done anything different in the last few months.
Hiya @Cabu,
I am 3 months and I also have upper thigh bruised feeling.
I can see it was a while ago. Did it resolve or do you still have it?
Thank you
 
@sazzie Cabu hasn’t been back here since July 2022, so you might not get a reply. But, she may get an alert that you quoted her post and come back to answer you. Just wanted to let you know that. :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom