THR Almost 5 months post-op and still a lot of pain & swelling

mostly R2F C - but some R2FW and X.
I had the hip aspirated and it came back negative for infection. There were some white blood cells present which the surgeon says indicates inflammation.

He wants to go back in there and do a left hip capsulectomy. I don't know exactly what that means. He says I have joint impingement syndrome.

But I can tell you that it is worsening and I am limping again. Its a constant pain down my thigh - at the incision. But by far the most pain is from my groin - it is very tender even after a year and a half and it sometimes feels like someone is stabbing me with an ice pick. It hurts 100% of the time with no relief. It feels like every step I am fighting to overcome the hip "binding up". I am at a pain level 4 constantly with spikes to 7.

He has prescribed gabapentin, indomethacin and Celecoxib. All of which do not alleviate the pain and have some strange side effects. I am only taking the indomethacin at the moment. Advil does nothing either.
 
Hi @snay502
We really need to tag @Josephine on this since it's been over 5 weeks since she posted the graph.

Great news there's no infection! I'm really sorry you're suffering such pain. I'm sure Jo, can explain the capsulectomy you mentioned. I hope the procedure brings you speedy relief.
Wishing you comfort in the interim.
 
Hello from VA @snay502

So sorry to see all the pain you are dealing with. Really hope the procedure finally brings you relief. Will be watching for updates. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
There were some white blood cells present which the surgeon says indicates inflammation.
This is true.
He wants to go back in there and do a left hip capsulectomy. I don't know exactly what that means.
It means that if, as he suspects, the capsule is being nipped somewhere around the hip, then it will be inflamed and he would go in an cut out the bit that is being nippped.
He has prescribed gabapentin, indomethacin and Celecoxib. All of which do not alleviate the pain and have some strange side effects. I am only taking the indomethacin at the moment. Advil does nothing either.
That's no good. At least take Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals. That might help some. Other than that, you could probably do with something like Tramadol 50mg 4-6 times a day along with the Tylenol.

However, the real fact of the matter is probably that there is nothing that will work for you so long as the inflammation continues.
 
Update. Will do surgery in a couple months to remove scar tissue and impingement. He wants to replace the ball and the liner in the socket while he's in there. Says there is a lot of scar tissue to cut away as well.

He had tried to talk me out of it because this surgery "is not typically done" - but I just turned 50 and I don't want to live like this for the next 20 years.

I am a big guy. So although its been going on two years since the THR and the scar is much less visible now..... he will have to open it all the way up again to get in there deep enough. It's like starting over. I am looking forward to some relief. And i'd like to play golf again some day or bowl.... or right a bike with my 9 year old daughter.
wish me luck and thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it.
 
Have you seen anyone for a second opinion? If you've got a couple of months, it might be worthwhile. We may have vastly different issues, but my psoas impingement was dealt with thru a small incision and arthroscopy. They didn't need to mess with the ball and liner so quicker recovery than what you're looking at. As I say, may be different issues but it might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion from a doctor that does arthroscopies.
 
I've seen two other surgeons (although not arthroscopic guys) who tend to agree with the impingement theory. I say theory because all of my test results come back negative. I asked about that much less invasive procedure to my main surgeon and he says he cannot guarantee any improvement with that approach. With his way he committed to 80% plus relief. IDK. I am just way tired of it now. Its been a long time - I would have thought he would have done something a long time ago
 
I hear you - I had to do an end run around my original surgeon. He just passed me off to PT and then pain management. It was a bit interesting going in for my one-year check just a couple of days after seeing the other surgeon and setting surgery date!
 
I've seen two other surgeons (although not arthroscopic guys) who tend to agree with the impingement theory. I say theory because all of my test results come back negative. I asked about that much less invasive procedure to my main surgeon and he says he cannot guarantee any improvement with that approach. With his way he committed to 80% plus relief. IDK. I am just way tired of it now. Its been a long time - I would have thought he would have done something a long time ago

Hi,

Did you end up having surgery? How are going now?

hope you issue is resolved
 
mostly R2F C - but some R2FW and X.
I had the hip aspirated and it came back negative for infection. There were some white blood cells present which the surgeon says indicates inflammation.

He wants to go back in there and do a left hip capsulectomy. I don't know exactly what that means. He says I have joint impingement syndrome.

But I can tell you that it is worsening and I am limping again. Its a constant pain down my thigh - at the incision. But by far the most pain is from my groin - it is very tender even after a year and a half and it sometimes feels like someone is stabbing me with an ice pick. It hurts 100% of the time with no relief. It feels like every step I am fighting to overcome the hip "binding up". I am at a pain level 4 constantly with spikes to 7.

He has prescribed gabapentin, indomethacin and Celecoxib. All of which do not alleviate the pain and have some strange side effects. I am only taking the indomethacin at the moment. Advil does nothing either.

what you’ve described is exactly what I have. I’m two years after the surgery and turning 40.

ultrasound didn’t show joint effusion so hip has not been aspirated for now. injection yo the psoas did nothing
The second doctor wants me to see decease specialist to see if there any low grade infection

I’m so angry at the first doctor I can’t describe as I also found out my hip global offset is reduced by 8mm. And this is the one of the best surgeons in Australia.

I’m going to ask second doctor to go in and have look. Remove scar tissue if any. Also I want my hip offset to be restored. Not sure if it can be don just by liner and ball changing

the life is hell now. Always irritated because of constant pain which affects my family. I’ve got young son and this affects him as well(((
 
Hello @M_Mar
I‘m so sorry you’re still struggling. I hope you find relief soon for both you and your family’s sake. Pain is draining and even exhausting at times. I understand your frustration in not having clear direction and pray there is no infection involved. Please keep seeking answers and working toward resolution. We’re here for you if you need support, encouragement or just feel the need to vent.

I want you to be aware that (snay502) has not checked into the forum in seven months and may not see your comments or answer your questions.

Wishing you comfort during your quest to find relief.
 
Back
Top Bottom