TKR Almost 5 months post op….struggling, frustrated and worried

@DogTiredKnees Oh I hear that last sentence! I can’t wait for the day that this recovery doesn’t take up 90% of my thoughts & energy. We’ll both get there, one way or another! Good job walking further today! I think we have to celebrate each little thing just to stay positive throughout this journey. Last night I slept on my side for a good 3 hours before having to go back to my back, woohoo go me haha :)
 
@DogTiredKnees Me too! It takes me forever to get comfy on my back and I usually end up watching TV until all hours of the night (much to the chagrin of my husband lol). Just one of the many challenging parts of this journey. Can I ask how you knew you needed a revision? I hope that whatever the problem was is fixed now.
 
@Christie b My knee never felt “right” after my original TKR and MUA. I sought 3 opinions from different surgeons and the consensus was that perhaps part of my original replacement was too big. That’s what led to the revision. Unfortunately, during the revision surgery, my femur and tibia were fractured and I also sustained an MCL avulsion fracture. Before the surgery my surgeon explained that fractures were a known risk with a revision, but I obviously never dreamed it would happen to me! This has slowed down my recovery somewhat and I’m still at 72 degrees after the last physio session. However, the surgeon said my recovery would take up to 2 years, so at least he’s not expecting too much at this stage of my recovery. That’s one good thing!
 
I'm a little late to the party but wanted to chime in as someone of a similar age who's also had a TKR. My second was almost 2 years ago now.

It is really hard to believe that some day our lives will not be built around the stupid knee.
This really will happen, don't worry! It seemed like all I thought about for at least 6 months post-op was my stupid knee and even after that. I'm at the point now where I rarely think about it at all except when I see my scars on my knees and when I got through security at the airport. :heehee: You WILL get there!! Time and patience is what it takes. Kudos for ditching that horrible PT who caused you pain.
 
Thanks, @Christie b :) I’m not sure if fractures are a known risk for ALL revisions, or just mine. My leg has got quite spindly since the original TKR.
 
@Susie-Q Thank you so much for chiming in! Every time I hear something positive like your result it renews my hope that eventually everything will be ok. I really am trying to be patient and not stress too much but I can’t seem to turn off that little voice of worry that this is my life at 53 years old - so limited in my activities and hobbling around. On the plus side, my doc has taken X-rays and says everything looks perfect. I’ve gotten to 120/0 twice in the past couple months then regressed when my knee swelled up (likely from overdoing it) so I know it can get there. Hopefully taking a pause on exercise and focusing on rest/ice/elevation will get this swelling/stiffness down. Thank you again!
 
I’ve gotten to 120/0 twice in the past couple months then regressed when my knee swelled up (likely from overdoing it)
Cause and effect.

I had a very tough first year, and I “only” had a PKR. But, I had a lot of improvement in my second year! I’m sure you will, too.
 
@Jockette Thank you! I think PT was doing more harm than good so I canceled my appointments and have been doing gentle exercises at home in between ice/elevating/rest. Like 5 minutes on the recumbent bike or 10-15 minutes in the pool just walking or doing lunges on the stairs. Hopefully I’ll be able to find that elusive sweet spot in between not doing enough & doing too much. Appreciate you and this forum so much!
 
Like 5 minutes on the recumbent bike or 10-15 minutes in the pool just walking or doing lunges on the stairs
Are you sure the pool walking isn't actually stressful?
I live in London and don't have easy access to a pool. The first time I tried some gentle exercises in a pool was at about 5/ 6 months, on a spa day with my daughter. By that stage I was regularly walking 10,000 steps/ day without much pain but I found that 10-15 minutes in the pool was really deceptive and much more work than I realised.
 
@EalingGran That’s interesting that you say that about the pool, I’ve only done that twice and I was more swollen the next day so I’ll back off. It just felt so good & so easy compared to the other PT exercises, I see what you mean about it being deceptive! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! I hope I can get to the 10k steps/day without much pain soon. I‘m usually 6-7K/day but very swollen/painful at night. It’s so hard to figure out the right amount because I don’t know until it’s too late that it’s too much.
 
Walking in water and swimming are like using weights on your legs because of the water resistance. As you found out, the workout can sneak up on you that night and the next day!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom