TKR Almost 5 months post op….struggling, frustrated and worried

My 12 week post op is in 8 days and I’m hoping I’m at least a little better than the 95 that I was at my last appointment
Rest, elevate and ice as much as possible. Your flexion is in there, it's just hidden because of swelling.

Even though your knee might not look swollen from the outside, you are likely still inflamed inside and that's what is restricting your bend. Once the inflammation goes down, your flexion will naturally improve.
Thank you! I need to keep reminding myself of that. I just read your journey and congrats! Are you still planning on getting your other knee replaced? I’m definitely in the “does it ever get better“ phase you mentioned in one of your posts so that helped a lot to hear that it does! This journey really is a roller coaster!

@benne68 Quick question for you as I’m still learning how to navigate this forum…when I responded to your message above I hit “quote this message” but didn’t tag you…did you still get it or do I need to remember to tag anyone I reply to? I’m not the most computer savvy person around. Thanks!

@DaveJH That‘s interesting that your doc said that and I hope it’s true! Mine tried to say I’d be 90% healed at 3 months - nope, not even close at almost 11 weeks. I’m glad you have had an uneventful recovery and water aerobics sound great! My recovery has been fairly uneventful as well far as no infection, no blood clot, etc. It’s the stiffness that’s driving my crazy!

when I responded to your message above I hit “quote this message” but didn’t tag you…did you still get it or do I need to remember to tag anyone I reply to
Hi Christie,
I hope you’re having a good day. It’s a hot one in my neck of the woods, Whew!

You seem to be doing fine with your communications here. :)
I will clarify this for you since benne68 is not currently on the forum and I’m not sure when she’ll be on next.

Whether you “quote this message” or “tag” another member, it will show up in their
ALERTS at the top right, to the right of their name.
Tags will show as “ChristieB mentioned you”.
Quote this Message will show as “ChristieB quoted your post in the thread“

Hope this helps!
@ChristieB

when I responded to your message above I hit “quote this message” but didn’t tag you…did you still get it or do I need to remember to tag anyone I reply to
Hi Christie,
I hope you’re having a good day. It’s a hot one in my neck of the woods, Whew!

You seem to be doing fine with your communications here. :)
I will clarify this for you since benne68 is not currently on the forum and I’m not sure when she’ll be on next.

Whether you “quote this message” or “tag” another member, it will show up in their
ALERTS at the top right, to the right of their name.
Tags will show as “ChristieB mentioned you”.
Quote this Message will show as “ChristieB quoted your post in the thread“

Hope this helps!
@ChristieB
Thanks, Layla! Very helpful! :thankyou:

@DaveJH Mine tried to say I’d be 90% healed at 3 months - nope, not even close at almost 11 weeks.
My OS said I'd be getting around pretty well by 3 months but the healing would continue and I wouldn't feel "normal" for about a year. I was back at work at 3 months but no where near healed. I would ice and elevate when I got home and rested on the weekends. Gradually over the next couple of months as the swelling decreased and I used my knee in daily activities I gained about 10 more degrees. But I was still pacing myself.

@DaveJH Mine tried to say I’d be 90% healed at 3 months - nope, not even close at almost 11 weeks.
My OS said I'd be getting around pretty well by 3 months but the healing would continue and I wouldn't feel "normal" for about a year. I was back at work at 3 months but no where near healed. I would ice and elevate when I got home and rested on the weekends. Gradually over the next couple of months as the swelling decreased and I used my knee in daily activities I gained about 10 more degrees. But I was still pacing myself.
@kneeper Thank you for your note. I was talking w/ my husband who was with me at the time and he said my OS said at 3 months I’d be doing 90% of what I wanted to, not that I’d be 90% healed. So I misspoke. I’ll be 3 months on Thursday and I‘m definitely not doing 90% of what I want to be doing but I’m trying to be patient. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done and I feel like I’m failing at this recovery. I‘m still only around 100/0 and limping most of the time. So discouraged, worried, and sad.

Christie, please do not worry. We heal at different rates based on many variables, so allow yourself more time.
You're not even three months into a recovery that can last longer than a year for some. If you're limping, continue to use an assistive device and really concentrate on heel-toe walking.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Please don't be sad. Give it a try.

1670298055216-png.87073

@Christie b

Christie, please do not worry. We heal at different rates based on many variables, so allow yourself more time.
You're not even three months into a recovery that can last longer than a year for some. If you're limping, continue to use an assistive device and really concentrate on heel-toe walking.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Please don't be sad. Give it a try.

1670298055216-png.87073

@Christie b

Thanks, Layla. I’ve been practicing walking like that and it definitely helps as long as I’m going nice and slow. I find I’m limping more when I try to walk faster or later in the day when I’m more tired/swollen. I’m also trying to stay positive and remember that this is a long recovery and we all heal at different rates. Last week I saw a new PT and he did not push on me at all, in fact he didn’t even touch me. He showed me some new exercises and had me ride a recumbent bike for about 10 minutes. At the end of the appointment he measured me at 100 on my own so I was encouraged by that. I’m ok with slow & steady. On the flip side my OS again mentioned the MUA and said the window is closing as I’m almost 3 months post op. I‘m afraid it would do more harm than good. It’s hard to feel pressure from an authority figure but after reading everything on here I believe I’ll be standing firm. I just wish there was a way to tell if someone truly has adhesions or not - the odds tell me I don‘t though. This is all so hard, thank you for listening

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Christie!
I find I’m limping more when I try to walk faster or later in the day when I’m more tired/swollen.
I found the same and didn’t even realize it. When it occurred (limping) someone usually pointed it out and it was when I was tired. I guess old habits die hard.
It has only been a week since you last posted, but I hope you’re doing okay.
A great weekend to you!

@Christie b

It appears that RBG hasn't been on the forum since early January, so she may not see your post and you may not receive a reply. Why don't you post an update in your own thread -- you may get better responses there. You can find it here: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/8-weeks-post-op-pain-swelling-after-pt.74044/page-4#post-1602869

Also, we can update your thread's title if you'd like, to something that reflects your current status. Just let us know!

Thank you! I was just trying to figure out how to post this on my own thread. Is there an easier way or should I just retype it? I’d say my title should be “Almost 5 months post op….struggling, frustrated and worried”

Thanks again,

Christie

@Christie b It is really hard to believe that some day our lives will not be built around the stupid knee. I keep forgetting that I'm just two months out and need to keep my expectations in check. I celebrate every improvement along the way and it keeps me more positive but there sure are days I'm weepy and tired. You'll heal when your knee is ready to. Hang in there!

Believe it or not, @Christie b, you are well within the range of a normal recovery with a ROM of 100 and 0. Many surgeons will not do MUAs for people with that ROM as they know there is more to come with time. The fact that you walk better when you go more slowly is your body telling you to take things easier for a while and allow it to heal on its own schedule. You can't rush it. Trying to will give you just the result you're seeing....pain, swelling and limping later in the day when you are tired. If you need to be up and around at those times, please don't allow the limp. Get a cane or walker and use it as long as needed so you don't limp. The limping is not good for your soft tissues.

You're not alone. Most of us get a bit impatient and want recovery to go faster. By the time you're at 6 months out, you'll start to feel a lot stronger and more "normal." Trust me...you are NOT failing.

Hi all and thank you @benne68, @sistersinhim and @Jamie for your help with both navigating this forum and for your encouraging words. I had posted my update on someone else’s thread as part of a response to them but wanted to post it here in my own thread. Anyway, I hope that makes sense!

Update: I’m about 5 months post op now as my TKR was March 15, 2023. I thought I had finally turned a corner about a month ago when I finally reached 120/0 after a PT group class. My happiness with that was short lived as I could barely walk the next day because of swelling/stiffness/pain. Ugh! It was my first class and it consisted of a full hour of knee exercises. I took a step back and focused on rest/ice/elevating for a few days but then life got busy w/ an out of town wedding for my niece, a funeral for my husband’s uncle, houseguests for the better part of 2 weeks, etc, etc. Just life in general. I’m still really stiff and hobbling around, I don’t know my current ROM but I’d be surprised if it was over 105. I was scheduled for 2 more of those group exercises classes this week which I have canceled. I am going to focus on rest/ice/elevating in order to get this swelling under control and will only be doing my ADL’s and gentle exercises. Recumbent bike & pool exercises as my knee allows. I may not go back to PT at all now that I’ve been switched to the group PT. I don’t think it’s anything I can’t do on my own and I think it’s done more harm than good by pushing me too far. I’m upset, worried, and frustrated with this setback but I’m not giving up! I know the stress isn’t good for my recovery so I’m trying really hard to be positive and remember that many people need a year or more to feel better. I’m not even halfway there at 5 months. Thank you for listening.

@Christie b It is really hard to believe that some day our lives will not be built around the stupid knee. I keep forgetting that I'm just two months out and need to keep my expectations in check. I celebrate every improvement along the way and it keeps me more positive but there sure are days I'm weepy and tired. You'll heal when your knee is ready to. Hang in there!
Hi @Tentcamper Yes, it’s hard to think that someday our lives won’t revolve around our knee and this recovery. I also try to celebrate every small victory, what are some of yours? I recently realized that I didn’t need to move the seat of my car back in order to hoist my leg in, I just bent it and went on with my errands. That would seem like nothing to someone that hasn’t been through this journey! Thanks for your note and you hang in there as well! :)

You are taking the wise approach. Your daily activities will be fine along with doing some gentle bending and stretching now and then each day just to keep challenging your knee a bit. From the sound of it, you will get plenty of therapy with that. Keep in mind that ANY movement is therapy. You don’t need this therapy and I believe you will do better without it. Many people do. Let us know how you get along. We’re here for you.

@Christie b wow, getting into the car and not having to stiff arm so you can drive! I look forward to that day. My recovery is pretty rough so I get excited about even the smallest improvement. I remember the day I didn't have to use a strap to hoist my leg onto the bed. I now have four little wrinkles on my knee which indicates there is no more swelling under there. I can drive! Yup, little things and I'll get there at some point.

Those little steps add up to a big step! That's what this recovery is all about. The first time I could go down steps the adult way was a thrill. It had been over 20 years since I had been able to do that! That was my huge improvement even though it took about 5 months, I did it!!

@Tentcamper I remember that day when I didn’t have to hook my good foot under my ankle to move my surgical leg - the little things are big things!! Sorry your recovery has been rough - I will say that my 3rd and 4th months were much better so hopefully yours will be, too. If only I could find that elusive sweet spot in between doing enough and doing too much!

@sistersinhim That must have been such a happy moment for you! I’m not close to going down stairs the normal way yet but I’ll get there. For now I’ll take it one step at a time, both literally & figuratively!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom