PKR Almost 3 week past PKR

@IAPILOT are you a ref or one of those crazy coaches that run up and down the field. :heehee:

UACars, I am one of the refs. Not every football fans favorite person on the field, but we do see our share of craze coaches!!
 
UACars, I am one of the refs. Not every football fans favorite person on the field, but we do see our share of craze coaches!!
I admire your service! Sometimes there are too many disruptive foul mouthed fans.. I couldn't do your job.. I'd be in jail
 
Just been reading through this. I have to say that my quads are in great condition. I exercised them ++ during my wait for my TKR. However, I'm still scheduled for a MUA as my ROM is still stuck 50. Are my quads too strong?!
 
Are my quads too strong?
If you look at a professional skier or a skater or gymnast who gets down really low and look at the flex in their knees, having ROM limited by "too strong" quads doesn't seem to ring true, does it?
 
No. I just wondered if they pulled harder against my hamstring muscles thus keeping my legs too straight and restricting ROM. Must be adhesions/scar tissue/whatever.
 
Well Josephine we can agree to disagree. My OS and PT have both commented how being in such great shape will help with my recovery. I guess you not knowing me nor having never worked with me I will continue to take the advice of those that have.

As far as hurting versus painful goes. The first time they ask you to bend your leg it hurts. The first time you have to do steps it hurts. There is a very big difference between doing to much and it's painful and doing something they ask that hurts.

I guess that is why there is not one sure way people recover from this.

Agree. On day 5 leg lifts felt like a railroad spike going through my knee so I stopped. But I came back to them in a couple of days and now day 10 zero pain. Same with step ups. First time I tried them they were uncomfortable for sure. Now, fine. 101* on day 10. Not that I'm fully focused on ROM, but that's certainly a great number.
 
Being fit prior to surgery makes sense. I imagine if you are 50 pounds overweight, it would be a laborious recovery. Thanks for the links @IAPILOT

I was thinking of getting a rowing machine (yes, I know I won't be able to use it for weeks after surgery). I really liked running, but I'm a goody two shoes and will follow my OS recommendations of no more running. :(

I love the C2 rower but I think it's better in a gym setting, as a component of your workout. (Unless you are just one of those people who don't get bored). We just got a Peloton back in early December as a "prehab" and rehab gift to myself. I cannot say enough good things about it. Simply incredible. Highly recomend
 
. I imagine if you are 50 pounds overweight, it would be a laborious recovery.
Not so. I am 13 weeks out..Off the walker at week 1. Worked out for an hour in the gym and then danced for two hours to Zimbabwayan marimba band last night. Its fast music.. I can walk faster and farther than I could before surgery.. and am 50 lbs over.
I expected my knee to push back this am.. but no.. it wants to go snowshoeing. First a session on my home exercise bike. It looks like the Peloton but is a cheaper but still sturdy knock off. I love it for winter. Not so much for summer when I can ride outside!
I like the rower too.. But am working up to my pre TKR resistance...150 lbs is a bit too much.. 90 fine..I have paddled all my life including before TKR doing pretty fast canoeing.

Everyones recovery is different but weight may not affect recovery at all. TKR allows you to get active again..
 
@mbrown onky because you asked.
This update is only about my progress and what my PT and home workouts are.

Brown, things have been going very well. Tomorrow will mark 5 weeks after having a partial replacement (right side) on Wednesday of this week I hit 125* and a -2*. Still doing PT 3 days a week for 30 to 45 minutes. I also workout everyday for 45 to 90 minutes. I went and bought a Bosu ball and also 0 to 10 lbs ankle weights. The ankle weights are in my opinion wonderful for me. I wear them all morning until lunch and will than take them off until I do my exercises. I have been able to ride my bike on a trainer, it was a little uncomfortable at first and if I couldn't make it around I would just do what I could. Today I got 3 miles in and could only do a mile on the treadmill. I ice my knee 4 times a day if I need it or not. During workouts I like to do some yoga, I modify some so I done pull or stress anything too much. If you do try working out go easy and keep your new knee straight out to avoid planting on it.

Friday I was givin the OK to lightly jog. I have tried but I only do a fast walk. Last night we went to a basketball game and we don't have very good parking pass so that means a long walk. I do bring a cane because I know I'll get tired and it will help out.

Next week we are going on vacation so I will do lots of pool exercises. I'll let you know how it's coming along after that.
Cheers
 
Dang @IAPILOT that's remarkable! It gives me hope! MUA tomorrow and I really hope it's what I need. I am 99% sure its' adhesions. I am raring to get on my Nordicktrack Freestrider which I love plus my elliptical and bike and to do some yoga and stretching. I mentally miss working out so much. I have not been able to do anything because I'm at 75 ROM. I want my life back!
 
Glad that you showed "Atomic Push ups" we do them during pre ski conditioning, but I did not know that they had a name!! At 72 mine were not quite as fast!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom