TKR Almost 10 weeks out and hanging in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this impression from my Therapist, that if you don't use it, you will lose it! I am concerned that scar tissue will develop if I don't exercise the knee and this could prevent future ROM increases.
Well sort of true, but the exercises need not be stressful, gentle stretching is all that's needed (as you are already doing, I read) until swelling and stiffness are gone.
I do use the stairs at work versus the elevator and my home workout consists of riding the stationary bike for 10-15 min (no load) to keep the knee loose.
Using the stairs puts force through the knee and I'd say is contra-indicated until the swelling is down.

Bike with no load is perfect and you probably don't need anything like 15 minutes continuous; as soon as your leg is rotating smoothly and easily, that's enough for that session. Many short sessions is good.

Sounds like you're well on top of it; now it's just time.
 
Hi Camano76
I'm at 10 weeks today BTKR - I did my first 45 minute drive and meeting yesterday - all went well until the ride home and I was suddenly exhausted. Can't imagine working and doing the commute on a daily basis. I have the luxury of also working from home so today I did just that. Legs were tired and sore, needed to be home elevated and icing. Take it easy the best you can. I also hate the tightness, if that alone would go away, it would be so much better.
Stacie
 
Just passed the 13 week mark. Have been following the stretching only mode with some stationary bike riding. I had been doing one stair exercise where I put my foot on one step and lean forward bending my knee attempting to touch the next step up with my knee. It took me several tries to reach the next step and couldn't hold it for any period of time. It's been a couple of weeks since I last tried this but I did it s few days ago and could reach the next step without any difficulty. I had to double check and see if I was doing it the same way. Hooray for progress.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
How's your commute going with work and all? I feel for you and the 45 minute drive. My problem at first with driving was breaking... "a definite necessity." lol Hope you'll got a handle on how to cater to your knee once you get to work.
 
The driving is still tough, especially the commute to work. Pretty stiff when I arrive, and by the end of the day. Ice as soon as I get home helps, but it is SLOWLY improving. Thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have a month before I go back in December. Trying not to over do it for Thanksgiving dinner or I WILL PAY when I go in that Monday. 25 Kindergartners :happydance:HELP!!! :scary:Thankfully I work down the street, they may find me with my knees in the kitchen's ice machine on my break though. :yes:
 
Camano76,
Great to hear about the progress! Little by little it will come, trust me!

My commute this morning was 45 min....to go 10 miles !!!!
We have some pretty terrible traffic here, 2nd worst in the nation by some accounts.

Take care,
Roger
 
Wow!!! That is really a great report!!! I'm so glad that taking things easier has helped. Quite frankly, it does in sooooo many cases. Just keep doing things gradually. You have plenty of time to get better and your body will appreciate that you don't push so hard that it swells in rebellion.
 
Camano76,
Great to hear about the progress! Little by little it will come, trust me!

My commute this morning was 45 min....to go 10 miles !!!!
We have some pretty terrible traffic here, 2nd worst in the nation by some accounts.

Take care,
Roger

Thanks Roger. Sorry about that commute. Hope that doesn't happen too often.

Lee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have a month before I go back in December. Trying not to over do it for Thanksgiving dinner or I WILL PAY when I go in that Monday. 25 Kindergartners :happydance:HELP!!! :scary:Thankfully I work down the street, they may find me with my knees in the kitchen's ice machine on my break though. :yes:

Wow 25 kids. Good luck with that. Funny comment about the kitchen ice Machine.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Lee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Coming up on 6 month anniversary from surgery date. It's been going fairly well. Minimal swelling if any visible. Knee is still stiff after sitting for any length. Seems leg muscles are still tight. Any recommendations to aid the healing process?
 
Actually, there is only one healer, and that's time. Sorry. No one here so far has found any shortcuts!
 
I'd say just do a few gentle stretches each day--other than that as maryo52 says, it's just time.
 
I have heard massage is helpful to muscle recovery and that stiffness feeling. Any thoughts or experiences?
 
I have been through multiple surgeries in my lifetime and this has got to be one of the TOUGHEST. It usually takes a year+ to recover from a traumatic surgery such as this one.

If you take it easy in the beginning and give your body time to heal, you will be less likely to develop adhesions. Don't be afraid to just slow down and take it easy - you have a great excuse.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom