Guest viewing is limited

All Clear and Ready To Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@bab123

I've had you on my mind as well, wondering if my hip sister is hanging in there mentally. My mind is gone, but I'm actually quite happy that it is (I can't even remember how to worry)! :heehee:

It's a very good idea to more or less hibernate until D-Day, as so many people are walking around with all kinds of different bugs that we need to avoid.

Today hubby is installing some blackout drapes in my recovery room. Since I'm prone to insomnia, when I do fall asleep post-op, I want to sleep as much as possible. I seem to have an internal clock whereby I am suddenly wide awake around 9:00 pm every night. Afternoons seem to be my sleep delight time. :alarm:
 
@Cynthia777 - excuse my garbled message re "hip support" - it wasn't a mechanical or medical device (!) Purely thanking you for being my tandem hip buddy. :loveshwr:You'll be storming through ahead of me and I will be watching for news as you move through phase #1 to phase #2. You are sounding more and more upbeat - and that's exactly the way to be. Think positive and all will be well.
And ...... has that hubby got the case sorted yet? :what:
Mine was talking about building some sort of wooden contraption for me to do jig-saws on when I'm home .... ??
I'm imagining something large and heavy (another Fred Flintstone inspired) - I smiled. At least he's trying!:oyvey: Rest up over the weekend - exciting things coming your way xx
 
@Miss Muffet....you are just adorable! Your upbeat attitude and sweet spirit will make this journey far easier for you.

Your hubby sounds as adorable as you do! I own one of those precious men too....oops, did I say "own"...I did and I meant to! :heehee:
 
@Cynthia777 - he's a little bit of a BIG diamond. :snork: Wants desperately to be useful and says he feels useless this side of surgery. He will be like a wasp on steroids afterwards - (think I may need to ask the Doc to prescribe a valium sandwich for him in case he gets out of hand) I think it's the same for anyone in this sort of situation though ... they want to do it for us. My Dad used to say "just grit your teeth and get on with it" . In one particularly tough experience I remembered his words - I ended up in emergency surgery with a broken tooth. Hee hee! :rotfl:
 
I'm going to go back and read your (and a few others) entire recovery thread again this weekend.

I'm already in the process of doing this lol..
 
Jaycey is right, @Cynthia777. The build up to the sugery is so much worse than the actual thing. You are literally in the roughest part of this whole thing. This time next week you'll be over halfway there because you'll have this dreaded first hip done and will be a pro by the time the next one rolls around.
Guess what I did yesterday? I made the decision to go without my cane all day. I have used it sporadically and definitely since we had our big snow and ice storm last week. Everything is melted though and I just wanted to see how it went. I had my PT session and then ran errands. At home, I made a hearty meal and then did the clean up.
My gait isn't perfect, but it's getting there...and here's the best part: I am not in pain.
Oh, Cynthia, it's just incredible. I can't explain to you how amazing it is to be able to do what I want, when I want and not have to think about how much pain it will cause, or budget my precious steps.
You're doing the right thing and when you're on the other side you are going to be the most incredible cheerleader for people in Pre-Op because you'll have tons of empathy and you have the sweetest spirit.
Big Hugs, Friend. :loveshwr:
 
Numb already, @Cynthia777? Then you are truly ready!! As far as packing, I didn't use anything in my stuffed duffle bag except for underwear, a shirt, and loose pants. Oh, and face soap. They provided me with a toothbrush and toothpaste, and I was out of there before ever having a shower. I stayed in the slipper socks they provided, as did everyone else I saw. The books, notepad, etc. never got touched as I was too doped up to even watch TV, much less read or write. The lotion, lip balm, gum....forgot I even brought them, and wouldn't have had the will or energy to use them anyway.

So....pack light! :) Did bring my phone of course, to post the recovery thread. ;)
 
@DeepBreath

How awesome that you're able to get around without the cane and more importantly, the PAIN! I know you have suffered for a very long time and I can't imagine how free you must feel.

I think, after a certain amount of time, we tend to "settle" and/or accept the pain that we live with daily. It becomes our "normal". I'm certain once through the surgery and recovery, none of us will ever take for granted our ability to walk painfree again. The pain has truly become second nature for me, but when I dream about the things I'll be able to do again, I get butterflies in my tummy. :yes!:

I'm so happy for you my friend and talk about sweet?....you invented the word! :angel:
 
@Hipster2016

Thanks for the heads up! My list probably has over 25 items (OCD). I really had decided to pare down until my PCP said I could be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days (although the surgeon said 1 day). Didn't like the sound of that and I'm hoping he doesn't know something I don't know. :shocked:

I know I really won't care what I brought with me after surgery, as I'm sure just getting up for bathroom trips and PT will be exhausting in itself. And if I have bad breath, well, sorry nurses, I really won't care! :heehee:
 
Too true, @Cynthia777! I came back from a bathroom run to find the brush and paste, figured it was a hint! :snork: They actually offered me depends-type disposable underwear, in case I was slow getting up, but it felt better to wear my own, you know? I would bring several pair...it took me a couple of tries to master the raised toilet seat...oops.
 
Hi @MI Chickie!

I look at it this way, if I don't jest and laugh during this journey, I'll surely cry and crying isn't good for you...or is it? Lol! I actually trick my mind into thinking its happy all the time. I try not to think about things like, "Oh, when I wake up tomorrow morning, I will only be three days away from being sliced open."...:heehee:
I LOVE the "hip upgrade surgery"! I am a manufactured housing dealer and I offer upgrades to my clients when ordering their homes. I think our surgeons should have a viewing room for us..."And which upgraded hip would you like? The metal, ceramic or the polyethylene upgrade? :rofsign:
 
Oh so exiting! You won't know yourself! Will be excited to read your recovery thread for advice for my upcoming surgeries!! The week will drag and then the day will be here before you know it!


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Diagn.1999 at 12 yo. From Victoria, Australia. Planning to book sequential unilateral THR July 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi
Thanks for the encouragement! You're so right about dragging on! Once you really KNOW you're going to actually go through with the surgery (I cancelled a few times :snork:), then you just want to get it over with. I want I get my second one done as quickly as possible, so I can really be looking forward to total freedom. I may not feel so gung ho after Tuesday. Lol. As they say, one day at a time, right? :-)
 
Yes, I wish my surgeon did bilateral so I could get both done at the same time. The wait between the two them knowing what's coming for the second will be interesting to say the least!!
What were your reasons for cancelling the other times??


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Diagn.1999 at 12 yo. From Victoria, Australia. Planning to book sequential unilateral THR July 2016 :)
 
Good morning @dandy_candi and @Cynthia777, my fellow double hip tandemees. :cheers:
When my surgeon broke the news to me this week (about needing both sides done) I exclaimed "What, at the same time?!" But he said he rarely did both together. His view is that he does one and this in turn helps to relieve the pain on the other somewhat because it had been relied upon to back up the worse one (if that makes sense). Once hip #1 is complete you feel 50% better and want to get steaming on with hip #2. The recovery (he says) from the second surgery is good because you have a decent first hip to support the new one - plus you're an old hand at this by now and know the ropes!:yay: He said I won't believe what a difference having both done will be. He has ex-patients who do all sorts of things without limits. One he mentioned does eventing - and there was me thinking I'd never straddle a horse again with my dodgy hips :horseriding:. I haven't sailed in about 18 months :capn:or biked :biking:or swam :swim: (hips won't work) or walked any distance :walking:which is why I've added extra pounds I'd love to shed. But knowing all of this will come good means I can look towards getting fitter and trimmer, regain my confidence and dignity and LIVE again!!! And what's more 2016 will be OUR year when we 3 will do it together :wowspring:xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom