Revised PKR to TKR Agilitymom's revision recovery<<

It is fairly common for surgeons to find more things going on when they actually get eyes on inside your knee. The imaging and tests are good and very helpful, but they are not everything. This is where the skill of your surgeon comes in. You always want someone who can feel that twinge of alert that something is wrong even if the tests look pretty good.

So how did your appointment go? @agilitymom ?
 
Last edited:
@Jamie sorry it has been so long. Feels like the world fell apart for a while. I have not had any appointments as everything has been cancelled. I did see Dr. Fabi back whenever and he agreed with what Dr. Copp has said previously.
Evidently Scripps here in San Diego is doing surgeries again. I have left 3 phone messages and 1 email over the last 3 weeks but no return call. So no idea what is going on. I assume it is like this most places. Just wish I could get a call back to let me know they are working on rescheduling me. Venting! Sorry.
 
You can bet these folks are jumping around like a cat on a hot tin roof when trying to open surgeries back up again. You're doing the right thing by calling and being the "squeaky wheel." Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get a call eventually. I heard one surgeon recently say he had more than 80 surgeries that had been cancelled and now he has to figure out which ones need to be rescheduled first. Your frequent messages may help you get ahead of the pack.
 
@Jamie I am in! I got a call Friday that if I could swing it my surgery could go on June 1st! I jumped on it and began the pre op dance. As of today I am now only a Covid 19 test on Sunday away from surgery. Oh and insurance approval. The Dr seems to think that the Open Lysis of Adhesion is not going to solve the problems. He thinks there is loosening and maybe other problems besides the adhesions. He is still going to see if he thinks the lysis of adhesion surgery will take care of my problems but he is scheduling me for a full revision as that is what he thinks it will take. I am good with that as I have very little confidence in the knee appliance as it is now. We will see. Going to be weird being in a civilian hospital and nobody can come in. I am happy but nervous.
 
I hope it all goes very well for you!!
 
Great news! I guess you "squeaked" just enough to get 'er done. Proud of you. You know, you'll be fine in the hospital with no visitors. You can get good rest and concentrate on healing. I actually preferred that for my second knee replacement and shoulder replacement. Nurses are all you need in those first critical days. There is always a phone or Skype call if you're missing friends and family.

Best of luck and let us hear from you!
 
Knee surgery revision is done! Dr ended up having to replace everything instead of the Open Lysis of Adhesion. Surgery took over 4 hours and Dr said in a very nice manner that the 2nd appliance that was in was not working correctly and the patella button was not tracking correctly. So he took everything out and put in a different type of appliance. I stayed 2 nights and got home yesterday. I am very encouraged by the outcome so far. Lots of swelling but I am icing lots.
The only hiccup is that the case manager did not get authorization for PT in advance. It takes a bit longer for military authorizations if you want to go off base, which I do, so no PT in place, but I have my BoneSmart exercises that should be sufficient. Overall I am feeling very confident this time around.
As everyone in the hospital told me, "Third times a charm." Of course it helps I have a different Dr and hospital than the previous 2. Happy camper so far.
 
Wow.....wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you. This sounds like the right surgeon to get the job done. Don't worry about the delay in getting therapy ordered. You can do your own gentle bends and stretches in the meantime and you'll be just fine. Be sure and get up to walk around the house a bit every hour or two during the day. Don't spend too much time sitting with your leg down as that can contribute to swelling. Rest, ice, elevation are the rule of the day....along with lots of smiles that you're on this side of that "charming" revision.
 
Third time is a charm and you are going to rock this recovery!
 
Thanks @sistersinhim and @Jamie . One week post and having a bit of a tough time. My calf, shin and ankle hurt so much yesterday and last night I could not sleep. Keeping timely on pain meds and other meds prescribed but the ache was constant and is continuing this morning. Not quite as bad after a brief walk around the house this morning but still painful. Any ideas what may be causing this? Trauma from surgery is all I can think of.
Luckily my 2 Velcro Aussies are taking great care of me. It is a constant battle to see who can get closest to mom.


F3250FDC-EC17-44CB-BFEC-08756BA6034E.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My calf, shin and ankle hurt so much yesterday and last night I could not sleep.
Only a week out from a 4 hour procedure - sorry but all this is post op trauma. Ice and elevate as much as you can. Short walks just to keep the circulation going.

Your dogs are lovely but do they put pressure on your knee?
 
It looks like your dogs are added weight to your knee. That would explain the extra pain. Also, I don't see a slight bend there. Knees like a slight bend in them.

What was the exact date of your revision?
 
Wow! Those are serious NurseDogs! More than just the laying on of the paws! That's full body therapy x 2!!
 
I agree with the posts above. You mustn't allow your dog nurses to lie directly on your revised knee. That's forcing extension that you probably don't have at this time. I suggest you elevate your knee higher with a stack of pillows to discourage them from picking that spot.

The shin and ankle pain are most likely from the surgical process where they manipulate your leg to make sure everything works properly. Be sure you're taking the maximum dose of your pain meds on a schedule until that resolves.
 
My dog nurses only gave the impression of being on my leg. Probably camera angle. After 3 of these surgeries they know the boundaries. I have trained them to bring me my walker or cane and to pick up things I drop.
I am almost 2 weeks post and the swelling is sooo much better. PT took out the 31 very stubborn staples yesterday and then suggested I take a very light weekend so as not to open up the scar. Seems like staples should not be taken out if scar could open easily. But since I am taking this surgery at my own turtle pace that is fine.
@Jamie the home PT guy wants me to try to not elevate my leg unless it is just using a rolled up towel under my ankle. He says I will not get the extension I need if I don’t. I tried it 2 times and both 5imes the back of my knee got super painful within minutes. They also did not elevate my knee in hospital. Is this a new torture device Or is it new thinking in the knee replacement world? I use 3 pillows as shown in Bonesmart article. I may need bigger pillows as I had 3 in the pix above. Anyway, I feel I am doing well for 12 days out.
 
the home PT guy wants me to try to not elevate my leg unless it is just using a rolled up towel under my ankle. He says I will not get the extension I need if I don’t. I tried it 2 times and both 5imes the back of my knee got super painful within minutes. They also did not elevate my knee in hospital. Is this a new torture device Or is it new thinking in the knee replacement world?
This just is not true. Having that towel underneath your knee is way too painful and not doing a bit of good and is keeping your soft tissues unhappy. Most of us have elevated toes above nose for many weeks, if not months. Elevating forces the fluid in your leg down and out of the body. It sounds like your PT and hospital aren't up on the latest ways to treat a tkr.

The easiest and best way I improved my extension was to walk with a longer stride, heel to toe gait. It didn't happen quickly but did work and now my knee is nice and flat.
 
Elevating your leg on pillows or with a support such as the Lounge Doctor and putting your ankle on a rolled up towel are two entirely different things. The pillow elevation is done for comfort and to help reduce or prevent swelling. What the therapist recommended is an exercise to encourage extension by stretching the muscles and other soft tissues. As you found out, it can be a really difficult one when done early in recovery.

Let me reassure you that you have plenty of time to get your extension. Once you are more mobile, it can be helped with slow walking, making sure you use the proper heel-roll to toe gait. It's certainly fine to elevate your leg with ice when you are seated in the chair with your nurse dogs. Glad to hear they are helping you so much!

As for the lack of elevation in the hospital, that's not new. We see that along with hospitals who don't use ice. It's not the best, but fortunately you aren't in the hospital long enough for it to be a problem. Both ice and elevation are extremely helpful for pain and swelling. Doing either or both will not hurt your leg or slow your recovery and, for most people, it's the difference between having pain and being more comfortable. It's the old story....listen to your body and go with what works best for you.
 
That's great to hear. As you know, there will be ups and downs.
 
Five weeks post surgery and still needing to ice and elevate most of the day. I am walking a bit, way less than I would like, but when I walk my 10 minutes or less I get terrible pain in my lower leg shin area and into top of my foot. Super painful. Worse if flex my foot up towards my knee.
on a good note I am doing better than before the revision on flexion and extension. Fired my first PT because he was trying to push me too hard and fast. He had never dealt with a revision or second revision. Starting aqua PT tomorrow.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom