Guest viewing is limited

Revised PKR to TKR Agilitymom's revision recovery<<

Is a 21 day culture normal?
The culture taken from my knee took close to 21 days to give a result. My surgeon said their standard practice was to culture for 30 days before giving up.

Some infections are very slow growing and some won’t grow in culture at all. He said that about half of infections won’t show up in a culture even though it is actually present in the knee, and you actually want a positive culture result so you know exactly what antibiotics to use.
 
I hope you are able to get this test done. It sounds like a good thing to try at this point. In answer to your questions, WFD is right that some infections are difficult to grow and the longer culture time will hopefully allow some results to show up. The fluid taken from your knee is the same, but there is a greater likelihood of getting a good sample from an open area than with a small needle in an aspiration.
 
I have an ice machine that wraps around my knee and compresses while it is on. It shows temperature of water that is circulating and it has the ability to be set at 20, 40 or 60 mins. Best part is it only cost $189. It has been amazing and with its use I am 17 days post op and essentially no swelling. I bought bottles of water and freeze them and just exchange the bottles. I can give more info if needed. Got it off Amazon. It is from PhysioNatural Store.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Jamie and @WFD for the info. I also read in an article that mycobacterial infections don't show up until a long culture. I was diagnosed with a mycobacterium lung infection back in 2019 and am wondering if that could be a factor. Who knows? More questions for my doctor.
 
The meeting of differentsurgeons was last Thursday. My new Dr called me Monday and said based on the bone scans showing some loosening and the last aspiration showing high level monocyte count all the surgeons agreed another aspiration should be done and if shows same treat as an infection. So he wanted me in this Monday for another aspiration which they will send to a spe ialty lab and culture 21 days. He also has asked the head of the department to take a look at me and my case that same day. He is very considerate of the fact that i have to travel 2.5 hours to see him.
I feel happy that a doctor is finally willing to help me and nervous about the aspect of an infection. At long last someone is willing to go the extra mile to figure this out.
 
I’m glad you’re receiving help and hope this will be the turning point for you. Hang in there!!
 
We're with you, here for support all the way. Please keep us posted.
@agilitymom
 
Met with 3 different surgeons on Monday. They all poked, prodded and messed with my knee. Discussed my bone scan and prior aspiration results. Then told me that my knee has something wrong and they are very perplexed. Did 9 x-rays in weird positions and then another aspiration. This one is going to be cultured for 21 days. Also they mentioned doing some kind d of fairly new DNA testing on the aspiration fluid which gives some results in hours not days. Have a phone appointment to discuss those results on Friday. Also said if not infected we would discuss Dr going in and replacing a plastic disc that he says is too large for my tiny knee. He says it is 7 mm and he would put in a 5 or 3. Would also remove scar tissue, so a lysis of adhesion again. That is what the last Dr was going in to do when he ended up replacing the whole thing because it was loose.
So no news yet.
 
Thank goodness you have doctors who are trying to find a solution for you. I pray that they do and it's something that will be fixed permanently!
 
Great news...you have a date! We'll update your signature.
Wishing you comfort over the next several weeks as you await your surgery date, agilitymom.
@agilitymom
 
I continue to walk, though slower and less than before, to try to stay moving. But something really weird happened 2 days ago. Just walking down my flat street and felt something kinda give out behind my bad knee. It was soo painful that I sat down. I could barely put any weight on my right, bad, leg. It also swelled up behind my knee. So for 2 days I have been resting, elevating and icing. Yesterday I had to get out for an hour and had to use my cane.
I have no idea what has happened. If not better tomorrow, Monday, I will call my doctor.
Anybody experienced anything like this?
 
Yes, my "good" left knee gave out with horrid pain in the fall of 2021. Got it worked up (there are several possible causes so I won't guess as to yours!!!!) and tried conservative treatments (non weight bearing on crutches days at a time when necessary, rest, injections, PT) for a full year. The knee remained unstable so I then scheduled the L TKA and had it January 2023.

I suggest getting to a medical provider ASAP.
 
Hi agilitymom,
I hope you recovered from whatever happened last time you posted and your surgery is still on for tomorrow.
If so, I wish you all the best this time around. Please update us when you're feeling up to it.
Hugs and Best Wishes!
@Agility
 
Been a long time and a revision and spinal cord stimulator surgery since I was last on. More stalking than anything. I was doing OK after revision in Nov 2023 but got some severe nerve damage that has only gotten worse. So got a Nevro spinal cord stimulator implanted 6 weeks ago. Getting decent nerve pain relief but no knee relief as I knew would be the case.
In the past 3 months my knee keeps swelling more and more and is warm and super painful. Dr took a sample of fluid from my knee today. I do not think it is infected.
I think it is scar tissue built up and getting worse. I asked about that and the young dr, works with my surgeon, said he did not think so as arthrofibrosis ijs mainly within first 6 months.
Is it true that arthrofibrosis is only early and not later on after 1st year?
 
Welcome back @agilitymom ! I'm going to tag @Pumpkin who has done some research on arthrofibrosis in the past. I hope you get some answers soon!
 
It's good to hear from you again, but I'm so sorry it's not good news with your third revision. Have you been using the same OS for all your surgeries?
 
@sistersinhim I have had 3 surgeons in 4 replacements. Not a fan of using the same doctor if I don't have to. I had no choice on the first 2 surgeries as I was required to see the Navy doc.
 
I’m so sorry that things are still not going well. :console2:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom