Very often a different surgeon will not take on another surgeon’s case before a year is up. I think it might be called professional courtesy. I’m sorry that’s the case here. 


United StatesI’m glad you have renewed hope.That will definitely help you continue on.I am feeling hopeful again. Knowing that time and therapy are all that can help my knee recover from the PT-caused trauma has helped.
United StatesI finally said enough. I am so thankful for Bonesmart. I was almost in your situation. I realized I am the one wearing this knee, and I know my limitations. After reading many stories, I followed suit and quit PT to work on my own. doing great, and you will too!!I had a TKR of my right knee on July 19. After the first few weeks, I did not have intensive pain. I tend to forget the degree of pain, but I do not have pain in my knee itself now at 10 weeks. However, the physical therapy, which I have done in the PT Clinic three times a week beginning the week after surgery, has been very aggressive, particularly in trying to increase the flex of my knee. I have screamed and often cried as the PT pushed me to pull the strap back harder to increase the flex. On 9/20, I pulled to 115. On 9/22 I was urged to pull harder, and the flex was 118. Two weeks ago the flex was 92 unassisted.
After Wednesday, my knee is swollen above and to the right of my kneecap, and I can hardly walk, even with my walker. Prior to Wednesday, I walked some with my cane, but use a walker nearly all of the time. My leg has not strengthened enough to not use the walker. Although, for the first time, the PT did not measure on Wednesday, she still had me do 15 pull backs, which stressed my knee. When I went in on Monday, 9/27, I told the PT that I am not going to pull my knee back again to the point of screaming. He said if they can’t stretch it, they can’t help me. He looked at my knee and suspended therapy until after my OS looks at it. He said he’ll wait to see if the OS says where I am is fine or that they need to continue the aggressive therapy. My OS said he could not see me today and he will be out of his office until Tuesday, 10/5, so I have an appointment that day.
My OS told me at the 8-week checkup that I would obtain no additional ROM after 4 months, so I have been concerned. I have been reading posts on here since last week, and it appears that I am not limited to 4 months. I also understand that the excruciating pain I have suffered in PT is unnecessary. I do not intend to continue allowing the aggressive therapy. Medicare and my Medigap insurance are paying for my therapy. It seems to me that if I want to use therapy to increase my ROM without such extreme measures and to strengthen my leg, I should be able to do so. I will discuss it with my OS next Tuesday. Meanwhile, I am icing my knee three times a day and taking Tylenol to forego pain and ibuprofen for the swelling.
I have read all the links concerning BoneSmart’s procedures for healing and am now basically following them. I guess I would like to have encouragement in my decision to not allow any more aggressive physical therapy. If I refuse it, I may not be allowed to have the therapy, but I’ll deal with that if it happens.
Moderator note, this post can stay here in this thread, it has been copied to MoragsMum’s recovery thread
United States
United States
United StatesThere is a type of physician called a physiatrist . I suspect Chris is doing what you need, but if not, try looking up that term.@Jockette Daniel, the PT that was here on Tuesday, explained to me that surgeons only do surgery; they do not deal with anything else. He said the only time an OS would deal with a muscle/tendon problem is when it requires surgery; otherwise, the matter is handled by physical therapists.
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
We have many members who are not walking normally in this time frame, including me.I know of absolutely no one else who has had a knee replacement who is not walking normally, generally a few weeks or definitely two or three months after the surgery.
This is what I’ve had to do with the results of my PKR. I have more problems now, even 6 years later, than I had before the surgery. Three second opinions find nothing to fix. I‘m thankful that it’s not any worse. With some adjustments I am able to manage life well enough.I have decided that learning to live with my current physical condition may be the only way forward. I don’t seem to have any other recourse, so I shall continue to keep on keeping on.
United States