TKR After surgery...4+weeks

Wishing you well. Yes, MUA will help some people. In your case, though... extension is something that often comes slowly because it takes time to stretch the tendons. Usually MUA is for flexion. Let us know how your procedure turns out, okay?
 
Wishing you well. Yes, MUA will help some people. In your case, though... extension is something that often comes slowly because it takes time to stretch the tendons. Usually MUA is for flexion. Let us know how your procedure turns out, okay?
Will do!! Thank you Susie and all!! [emoji5]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
It does seem so early, but I hope all goes well with your MUA and that it improves your extension - let us know how it goes - all the best!
 
An MUA seldom helps with extension (straightening). I hope yours does, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't.

It's not at all unusual for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion, but there's no need to worry about that, because it can continue to improve for at least a year post-op.

MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)
 
An MUA seldom helps with extension (straightening). I hope yours does, but don't be disappointed if ti doesn't.

It's not at all unusual for extension to take longer to achieve than flexion, but there's no need to worry about that, because it can continue to improve for at least a year post-op.

MUA: the ineffectiveness of early MUA (JBJS)
Thank you all! I will keep you updated! [emoji5]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
Just as a point of clarification for those who may read your thread, the "Conclusion" you posted is from a study done in India in 2009 of patients who had MUAs in 2007. While I'm not suggesting that makes the information either right or wrong, people do need to realize that it is not anything recent, even though it was published online in 2015.

https://publishing.rcseng.ac.uk/doi/10.1308/003588409X359321
 
@Lorlynn769 can you please share how it goes? Unless a miracle happens in the next few weeks, I am sure my surgeon is also going to suggest this. So far I haven't read too many positive experiences on here. I am going on a cross country trip in early May and never dreamed I might still be struggling, but that's only six weeks away. So the question is, if I do consent to it, if necessary, do it before the trip so my leg bends better for the car trip, or wait till after the trip since I seem to be a lucky one that has low pain tolerance and the MUA might stir things up?
 
I will definitely let you know how my MUA goes. I'm very hopeful..really ready for a better bend and straighten!! My Specialist said this is the way to do 8-12 weeks, it's most effective, so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
I will definitely let you know how my MUA goes. I'm very hopeful..really ready for a better bend and straighten!! My Specialist said this is the way to do 8-12 weeks, it's most effective, so

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I put crossed fingers emoticons...didn't show up up above...so...here's hoping!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
My knee...8 weeks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
My knee...8 weeks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Photo...8 weeks
[Bonesmart.org] After surgery...4+weeks


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
That's a nice scar! Mine is quite a bit more "outspoken" than yours. :loll:
 
Your knee is nicely bent too isn't it? Are you sure you need that MUA? :) :-) (:

In two weeks my knee flexion has improved by about 20 degrees after seemingly being stuck for ever at about 85/90, and it now feels so much more likely that it will improve. This has been at the expense of my extension, which has gone from 0 to about +5 because I've been concentrating more on improving the bend.

I've just finished reading the fantastic, critically acclaimed book 'Complications' by Atul Gawande, a surgeon. It offers a fascinating insight into the medical profession.

One important message that comes through is the variation in opinion on virtually everything they do! Of course they all follow standard protocols, but they also have very different ideas about what is best and when.

Go to one doctor, get one opinion and treatment (very much based on their own experiences and interpretation, not necessarily always the perfect solution, but well intentioned) and go to another and get offered something completely different.

Such is life I guess. All the best for the MUA, I will be crossing fingers and toes (and even my knee) for a great outcome!
 
Very lovely scar and a wonderful bend! Why in the world would you want a MUA when you don't need one?!
 
Thank you all! Had the MUA..had a bunch of adhesions broken up. I am a bit sore, of course, but do notice my flexion is already better! @Rob, that book sounds great, I will have to check it out. Hope everyone is healing up and doing alright.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
I've just finished reading the fantastic, critically acclaimed book 'Complications' by Atul Gawande, a surgeon. It offers a fascinating insight into the medical profession.

I recently read this book and another book by Dr. Gawande, Being Mortal. Brilliant writing, filled with insight and compassion, about medicine and also the culture in which it’s being practiced.

@Lorlynn769, glad to hear the MUA went well. Keep in mind your knee is now back in the immediate healing stage again, so treat it to lots of elevating and icing to keep things chill. I hope you see good progress going forward. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom