TKR After surgery...4+weeks

Totally agree with you, jockette!!! 7 months post op and I still pray each day for patience!!! Ugh!!!:bored::censored:
 
You're doing great! Six weeks is a good place to be (things start looking up) and you're almost completely on over the counter pain killers. Excellent! The 3-4 hours of sleeping is, alas, quite common. It took me four months to reliably sleep through the night and six to get back to normal sleeping. Some people pull it off earlier, but if you find sleep being a problem still going forward you have lots of company! And your leg will get straight, it just needs more time. I'm glad you're seeing improvements!
 
Hold on and cherish each of those little accomplishments. They add up real fast!
Good luck and keep us informed on how you are doing.
 
Every day successes are wonderful! You are coming along great!
 
@Lorlynn769, it sounds like we are in the same place and sharing the same kneeversary. Don't we wish we could get more than four hours sleep? That seems to be my limit too. I'm not sure which wakes me up the most - my knee or the need for a potty visit! Either way, hopefully we can both get back to sleep. Have a great day!
 
Hi group...
7 weeks now since my tkr. Newer physical therapy is going well! Leg still not able to straighten quite yet, but is bending pretty well. This scares me some about it not straightening, worry some, but seeing my Surgeon next week, so we will see. It is still 2" swollen approximately by measure.
Crossing my fingers about this. Hoping to not need a manipulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
Sounds to me like you're doing well! It's not at all uncommon for a TKR to not be straight at not quite two months. Often your knee was not straight going into surgery, which led to shortening of the big tendons behind the knee. Those tendons are thick and tough and can take a while to stretch out to where you want them to be. But stretch, they do! It took my left knee about five months to stretch to straight. I did it just by walking every day, adding distance and lengthening my stride. Happened quite naturally.
 
Sounds to me like you're doing well! It's not at all uncommon for a TKR to not be straight at not quite two months. Often your knee was not straight going into surgery, which led to shortening of the big tendons behind the knee. Those tendons are thick and tough and can take a while to stretch out to where you want them to be. But stretch, they do! It took my left knee about five months to stretch to straight. I did it just by walking every day, adding distance and lengthening my stride. Happened quite naturally.
Thank you, Susie! So nice connecting on here with others who have more knowledge and insight! I will keep going..furthering my walks as I have been! Take care!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
@Lorlynn769. You are making progress. It’s too early to be thinking about a manipulation. You (we) are still healing and have more to go. @SusieShoes is right about the knee pre op often is not straight. I know mine wasn’t. So I have to work (carefully) to stretch them. I still feel discomfort when I try to straighten my knee. The tendons do feel tight. You are doing the right things.

Hang in there!!
 
That 2 inches of swelling is probably what’s keeping you from full extention. Once that goes down you should be able to straighten. I found it helped to let my leg bridge between my chair I was sitting on and the ottoman. It felt good to stretch this way a few times a day. There are photos in this link. :)


https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/
Thank you very much! Good article and information! Thanks for the support!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
@Lorlynn769. You are making progress. It’s too early to be thinking about a manipulation. You (we) are still healing and have more to go. @SusieShoes is right about the knee pre op often is not straight. I know mine wasn’t. So I have to work (carefully) to stretch them. I still feel discomfort when I try to straighten my knee. The tendons do feel tight. You are doing the right things.

Hang in there!!
Thank you for the support! Yes, I am very positive and hopeful with this new knee! Pleased with my progress too! Take care, too! [emoji5]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
Well..my update...manipulation for my knee is next week. My Orthopedic surgeon says it's good and needed. My 'bend' is good, just not straight yet at 8 weeks out, unfortunately.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 
Why have you schedule an MUA? If your bend is good, you don't need it. Besides, it is too early to even think about a MUA. If you're considering it for your extension, I've read it won't work for that.
 
My Orthopedic Specialist says it definitely will help alot, so I am trusting him on this one!
Did read alot and sounds like I am a good candidate. Sure hoping so. Thank you for the support.
[emoji120]
[Bonesmart.org] After surgery...4+weeks


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom