Guest viewing is limited

TKR Adhesions and Pain 14 months After L TKR<

@BenU I saw your benedryl suggestion here last night at 11. I was lying in bed crying because I knew another sleepless night was commencing. So I decided to try your suggestion and miracle of miracles I slept five hours. Woke. Then again two hours. Thank you. Here's a ? If I take it every night will the effect wear off? Also I feel slightly hung over. I guess that will wear off during the day?
 
Wish the benadryl trick would work for me but it doesn't. I tried taking zzzquil sleep aid and that did nothing as well. I dread the nights coming knowing I'll be lucky to get 2 hours of sleep.
 
@Barnmom22 I don't believe you'll need a sleeping aid for more than a month. Sometimes our bodies need a little help getting back into our normal rhythm of sleeping. I took Tylenol PM and still do when my I have aches and pains at night or have done too much. During my recovery I kept a Tylenol pm bedside just in case. I am glad you got some sleep last night.
 
I think it just depends on the person....I have taken Tylenol pm with my pain meds every night for years. With my chronic pain (shoulders, back, and neck), I seem to need a little more than usual. And it takes 60-90 minutes to kick in. I updated my signature, because I wanted "full disclosure"......so you would know of my ENTIRE pain journey through the years. Things that work for some of you recovering from " just" a TKR, might not for me....because of my other pains.
 
Another "disclosure"......I have been in school for YEARS.....trying to finish with a degree in Nursing, medical assisting, and ultrasound. Got close, but couldn't finish because of my many surgeries and life (marriage, having / raising my son, and divorce). Heck I have enough education to be an MD if I was young enough to to thru it! Anyway, I am very knowledgeable In the health field. So no need to sugarcoat anything!
 
You have been through a lot, I trust you know best what works for you. Hope you find something that works. Hopefully time will heal your knee, one less thing to deal with.
 
You're never too old to finish any of your schooling. Nursing was my third profession graduating just before my 40th birthday. I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up!
 
inPain50,

I also hope that you find something that works for you, as you have been through so much. I'm a long-term student too. I returned to college at 50 to finish my B.S. and after graduating in 2014, began working towards a PhD. That is one reason I chose to do both knees at once - no time for one and then wait for the other.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

Kay
 
You shouldn't need sleep aids. The reason your sleep is disturbed is because of pain! So get your pain medication sorted - meaning make sure you are taking enough - and you will find the night's less arduous.
 
Put on my 1st 3-day patch Wednesday afternoon.....and right on cue, I started feeling really nauseous about 10 hours later. Had to take something for it, and didn't sleep all night. But I was up ALL day, running errands (knee wrapped in an Ace bandage)........with very little pain (none in the knee, and a good bit less of my chronic pains)! I'm cautiously optimistic. My biggest issue, is that I am allergic to the adhesive (been itchy)...... We will see how bad it gets after it is removed. I will use benadryl cream and rotate to other areas....ANYTHING to have some decent relief (finally)!
 
Oh dear - what a bummer! I remember years ago when I was on HRT, my GP persuaded me to use patches and that was when I discovered I was sensitive to the adhesive which was supposed to be hypoallogenic! Yeah, right! I had to keep the patches on for 5 days at a time but when I took them off, the resulting red ring took about 10-15 days to even improve. Consequently, because I moved them around from place to place, I ended up with all these red rings all over my belly! Don't know if you remember the children's tv programme Captain Scarlet, but his arch enemy was the Mysterons whose weapon left rings on their victims! That's just what I looked like!I do hope you don't get an attack of the Mysterons!

[Bonesmart.org] Adhesions and Pain 14 months After L TKR<
 
I looked up the fentanyl patch side effects. They even have forums for that! One contributor said he/she was told to get Flonase spray, and apply to patch area, and rub in and let dry....THEN apply a new patch.....and they NEVER had a skin reaction again. I am getting some Flonase, and trying this tomorrow for my 1st patch "chage"......I will let you know (3 days from now) if it works. The area under the current patch is red & irritated (trying not to think about the itch!) Using benadryl cream around edges, but doesn't help UNDER it.
 
That has to be miserable! I hope you find relief fast. It's bad when the cure is as bad as the ailment!
 
Josephine......just wanted to wish you good luck on your shoulder surgery this Monday. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
 
Why thank you.

As for the Flonase,, ya live and learn!
 
Hello all, I haven't posted here since a few months after my tkr. Others areas of "life" have taken over. Anyway, I had a difficult recovery - lots of pain with aggressive PT, not adequate pain relief, and not being "proactive" with aggressive home therapy (said my OS).

So here I am, over a year later, with a knee that is painful daily - especially with ANY kind of use (can't even use steps without swinging my leg out). I haven't had my flexion measured lately, but it is under 90 degrees (extension is zero, and hasn't been a problem).

Last December, I had extensive allergy testing, because I thought I was allergic to my knee (turns out, I am "sensitive" to the cement, but the only metal I tested positive to was GOLD).

I went to my OS this week, and he has decided to send me to another practice, for a second opinion on what to do next. The choices are: do nothing and live with what I have (or don't have in this case), surgery (open or arthroscopic) to remove what I'm assuming are adhesions (I have had excessive scar tissue on several of my other surgeries), or a revision. Any of these choices is not ideal, and brings with it more pain.

I see the new doc in 2 weeks, and would like some feedback on what to ask, what to push for, as far as the best choice for gaining the most mobility. I am 51, and just can't imagine living in my current state for 40+ years. Any and all advice is welcome.
 
Hi @inPAIN50 - I'm sorry you're still having pain and problems with this knee.
I think it's a good idea to have a second opinion - your surgeon is right about that - but it would also be a good idea to seek a third opinion, from a surgeon who specializes in revisions, because these surgeons see problem knees every working day and can often see a problem and solution that has eluded others. You need an independent opinion, one that will not be influenced by your current surgeon, so look for someone who is not connected in any way, either, professional or social, with your current surgeon.

Do let us know what the second opinion surgeon says, won't you?
 
Back
Top Bottom