TKR Adhesions and Pain 14 months After L TKR<

Definitely ice and elevate that knee, but live your life, walking around the house etc. Don't try to walk a big box store or a mall, treat your knee with TLC for a few weeks and it'll love you back. I think Pumkln says you can't bend a hose full of water. That's your knee, it's full of swelling and bending is painful and nearly impossible. Release the water from the hose or the swelling from the knee and bending will happen, but the more swollen the knee the longer it'll take.
 
is that they have us doing therapy (the kind that hurts) from the day after surgery!
Yes, I know they do but it's not confined to a district. We get PTs like that in the UK too! It's just as wrong.
So when all of the " pros" tell me to keep moving, and that what I'm feeling is normal, what else am I supposed to do?
Just say no. It's your right to chose. Just remember they don't have control over this, you do. It's all about consent. I can think of no other situation where we would submit to such abuse without asserting our own preferences. Dentists, for example. You wouldn't allow them to pull a tooth without some kind of anaesthetic, would you? Well the same applies in this situation.
I just don't know if stopping therapy completely is the right thing. Maybe I will take one week off and see how that goes.
You will need more than a week to test this out. You will need to give it 3-4 weeks before you notice the benefit.
 
@inPAIN50 My OS does training for other physicians and has some published studies. Interestingly, he spoke about how a surgeon puts in a new knee, sees the patient for followup visits and the knee is working properly and THEY are pleased with the result, but that is NOT the end of the story. From the patient's point of view they may still be in pain and a good percentage are not happy with their replacement. He also believes that pain control is a priority. He seems to be flexible about PT also. One or two visits to make sure you know what to do and how to do it. He was respectful of my wish not to do a lot of PT. He's not an advocate of painful PT. He does hips and knees only, and is a revision specialist.
 
@inPAIN50
I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time during your recovery! Although I didn't have my knee replaced (I had both hips replaced), I decided to follow Josephine's advice and forego any form of PT (other than the ankle pumps, I didn't even do the exercises the hospital sent me home with) and my ROM has completely returned (as I write this I am sitting Indian style). My gait has also returned to normal. I really vacillated whether or not to go to PT, but I had read so many other members threads who ended up with chronic pain issues from PT, so I didn't go. Hope this helps. Good luck to you. :-)
 
I have never had professional pt for this replacement or any other of my knee surgeries. I did the ankle pumps and very gentle leg lifts. I was alone almost all the time, so I had to take care of myself, which included meals and keeping my ice machine full. This daily living has rehabbed my knee, no real exercises except what I mentioned. I have done very well and never had the agony of pt. You don't need pt, your daily living is your pt. And to top that, it's free, no co-pays! Please give yourself at least a month off from all exercising. You will be glad you did! The BoneSmart way is the best way. So many of us have the experience and know this is true!
 
@inPAIN50 - I'm sorry you're having a painful and hard time in your recovery.

I'll add my $.02. I had a RTKR on the 12th. My OS isn't a fan of PT and said if I go, "don't let them touch you."

The surgical PA told me that the only thing I needed to do was to elevate and ice until my knee could bend to 90*. My OS is in the top 3% for low complications in California.

You've received some excellent advice here.
 
Because of all of the healing words and advice, I have decided to cancel all of my P/T appointments (2 weeks worth), and do a lot of elevating and ice. Two painful and stiff days following my last session on Thursday, have convinced me I need to do this. Hopefully, when I see my OS on August 16, I will feel and move better than my last appointment. Only if I am progressing, will I (maybe) not have to face stern words from going against his advice! I will keep you all updated....thanks everybody!
 
I thought I would try and upload some pics of (both) knees, for comparison. There really is no swellinfpg to speak of. I do notice that my TKR knee is slightly more reddish than the other one. And my varicose veins bulb more (I didn't have this many or this big before the surgery). And the majority of my stiffness is just above the knee (I keep saying it feels like I've got a really big/tight rubber band above my knee).
Well.......I am unable to include pics right now. But if any of you have comments on the description of my TKR knee, I would be glad to hear from you!
 
I think you're making a good decision, especially since your last PT appointment was felt for TWO days. Yikes!
 
A comment on the Nustep. It is a good machine but not so soon after tkr. IMHO you'd do better loosening up for a few minutes on a stationary bike.
Try giving yourself a knee "vacation" for a few days and see how you feel. If you're like me you'll notice you get the most gains after being "lazy." As we like to say "work smarter, not harder."
 
I had surgery a couple of weeks after you. I had PT but didn't let them hurt me! I tried to follow the Bonesmart mantra of ice, elevate and take pain meds. There were times I over did and paid the price. Most of my overdoing was being more active than I should have been. I didn't do a "recommended" exercise if it caused me any pain. I was in good shape before surgery. I am now through with PT and have -136 flexion and almost perfect extension.
I know my knee is still healing so I will continue to be careful. Sometimes I forget and go up the four steps to my bedroom using alternating legs. It will all come in time if you are kind to that new knee. There are PT's and OS who believe in the Bonesmart way. I wish you well and a quick reduction in your pain.
 
OH yes! I wish this was required reading for all health professionals!
 
I had that tight band feeling for the first month. My dad who had both knees done never had that feeling. I told him it felt like I was pulling on a rubber band as I walked, but amazingly that rubber band feeling eventually went away.
 
Just cancelled ALL P/T until further notice (or forever). BenU.....I take benadryl (tylenot pm) every night...2 with my 5mg of percocet. But lately, it hasn't helped. Usually after tossing and turning for several hours, I then take 2 Aleve PLUS 3 more benadryl (without the Tylenol).....I then drift off for 2-3 hours. Still waiting on authorization from my insurance for an Rx for Lyrica (for my chronic pain), and a fentanyl patch. May be a few more days before I know whether or not they will even cover it. So I guess a few more sleepless nights are in my future
 
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain, stopping PT is the best decision, when you feel better you can do you own excercises and just everyday living helps us get back normal. I don't understand why so may physical therapists feel they have to push you to the point of pain.

I hope your doctor is able to find a way to help with the pain and sleep problem. Feel better soon!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom