Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACK! OMG! TKR on May 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the good side. Now you can work on recovery. It will be slow but hay it was well worth it; Take care and remember Ice, Ice or pain pills too.:doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:
 
are you saying that the pain comes back between doses, it doesn't touch the pain, or you always have some pain?

i think having some pain (not bad) is probably to be expected,but if it's going up to a 6 or 7 even while the meds are on board, then something's not working well.
Definitely call the doc's office tomorrow--early--because you know it can take while to get a call back.

It's terrible that they sent you home so early--evidently before they had your pain properly managed. Resting, icing and elevating is your "job" right now. Your "hardcore" OS should have just a few hours of post tkr experience to get a clue.


Well, I just had some toast and tea to settle the stomach from the pain meds and have a moment of clarity to respond.

I always have some pain but sometimes it is worse; I am taking all of the meds and they do work, can't imagine not having them. It may get up to a 6 or 7 when I move it from the bed to the floor and it bends... OMG that hurts. Once down on the floor it is better again.

I'll wait on calling, don't know what they would do for me right now and I am taking BS advice, elevating, icing and resting. Thanks Kneeper!
 
My status today, almost a week after surgery, is I am still on a good dose of pain meds. And today for some reason, getting up is hard, last night it was easier, today very draining and tiring.

And I haven’t used anything other than the walker. I do have crutches but the few times I have tried them I didn’t have the strength to keep using them.

I have a hard time getting up even using the walker to brace against and pull up the rest of me. Once up I am ok for awhile, except for the knee not bending enough. I sit on a high bar type stool in the kitchen and warn other about my toes sticking out and in the way, even with the higher chair.

When did you know it was time to start gravitating to crutches and away from a walker? And did sitting in a lower chair help you get more exercise in on bending the knee? Or did in come with time? Should I be trying harder to get in some exercises or be still mostly in bed with foot up?
 
Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Remember though you're only a week out and things can only improve. Why don't you try calling your doctor and see if you can take a different type of painkiller - you should not have to suffer like this. My GP told me the other day - there's nothing worse than being in pain and being miserable. It probably won't help your recovery. Now - with regards to excercising - my opinion is, if it hurts, don't do it. If it was me I would just keep resting, icing and elevating, and perhaps do some ankle pumps to keep the circulation going.

Hope you'll feel better soon! :flowerysmile:

I'm sure others can give you some proper advice on this. In the meantime - keep you're chin up and remember it can only get better! Less than 3 weeks for me now; by the time I have had my first TKR you'll be over the worst of it.

Perhaps it's time for chocolate?
 
I used a walker for 8-9 weeks, but didn't need anything in the house at around 6 weeks I think. After I stopped with the walker, I used (and still use) a cane for supporting the unoperated leg. I never used crutches...

1ELISEA, you are barely a week out, so of course you still need support from a walker. The healing process is very s-l-o-w! You will know when you're ready!

Oh, and I am over 5 months out and do not sit in low seats. Maybe after I have recuperated from the next TKR! :snork:
 
Elisea, slow down, honey! Here in the beginning you do not want to have to get up from low surfaces.

And I never used anything but a walker. I used it for 3 weeks. When I had my hip replaced I used it for 6 weeks because I wasn't allowed to fully weight bear for that period of time. There is not a set time frame for any of this. You do what you need to do for you.

What you NEED to do is take your pain meds on a schedule, get LOTS of rest, elevate (toes above nose), and ice, ice, ice. Just gentle stretching and bending--ankle pumps, straight leg raises, heel slides--off and on during the day and night.

And, of course, take and eat whatever you need to to stave off the dreaded constipation monster that comes with the pain meds.

This recovery is going to take you as long as it takes you. That's the way it works. You do what your knees will allow you to do, and you do those things carefully. This is not a competition--it doesn't really matter when someone else was able to do anything---it's all about YOU and only YOU and what YOU can do when YOU can do it.

You are going to be fine----but not today or tomorrow and maybe not next week or the week after, but YOU ARE GOING TO GET THERE! So chill, baby, chill!

Take care of yourself, chill out, keep us posted. We care!
 
Alright, appreciate the reminders. I am less than a week out of surgery so my expectations are higher than my abilities it appears.

It seems, at least when I read about them, that a lot of forum patients are up and about right away; which could be where I am in a few weeks. At least I'll hold that thought.

It is good to know that not everyone is up using crutches right away and a walker is fine. I am not a huge person, and my arms are strong, yet the body is unwilling to comply to orders to get up. It's like it's on a mini rebellion for doing something so traumatic to it.
 
Elisea- I never used crutches, just walker and cane. Needed the walker for about 2.5-3 weeks, then went to cane. In the beginning, you are more down than up, and only for the bathroom or when you are tired of laying around.
When I was lying down and awake, I always did ankle pumps, from an insane fear of blood clots.
Don't expect too much of yourself at this time.
 
My surgery was May 31st so we’re pretty close. I’m still taking full doses of my medication, set my alarm so I’m not late or I pay for it. I use a walker all the time, can’t imagine getting around without it.
I’m not sure what you mean by using your walker to get up from a chair. My husband has suggested I do that but can’t figure out how. I only sit in chairs that have arms for me to push myself up I have the walker right there to hold on to when I stand up.
I don’t sit with my feet on the floor very often, there’s too much pressure from the swelling and my knee is not happy in that position. Most of my time is spent in the recliner with my feet up and ice on my knee. I do try to remember to do ankle pumps as much as I can since I’ve heard they help reduce swelling and prevent blood clots.
I had my first PT session at home today, nothing strenuous and she left me instructions for the exercises she wants me to do every day.
I really think you’re doing ok. I know it’s not easy but be patient, you’ll get there but it’s going to take time.
 
Hi Morning Glory
I use the walker to steady myself then lean forward onto it. Or if I am at a counter, I push with one hand on the counter and the other with a hand on the walker. That's how they taught me in the hospital. Works pretty well.

I don't have chairs or recliners high enough to get in and out of comfortably. Pushing up using the arms of a chair would require someone else pulling me up at the same time.
Hmmmm... not a pretty picture. :rolleyespink:
 
You know, no one ever showed me how to use the walker. They gave it to me and sent me on my way. The therapist that comes to the house watches every move I make like a hawk so I guess with the chairs I have this works best for me. We even brought an office chair with arms out to the kitchen table so I could get up easier. I haven't used that yet with this knee though.

I think I'm going to try sleeping in my bed tonight. I gave it a test run before so I know I can get in. Again..not a pretty sight & graceful is not the word I'd use but I did it!
 
Elisisa,

Please do not compare yourself to anyone else! Every one reacts differently to meds, to recovery and so on....

I started out with a walker, but I had used crutches for 2 months before this surgery so I am more comfortable with them. That doesn't mean that you would be. When you are sitting in a chair, push with your arms and have your walker in front of you. It will get easier as the days go by. You just got out of surgery.:wink1:
 
Jancat: me too (I had a PE before). Husband said I was doing ankle pumps while I slept!

Pooshay- My INR was all over the place and so I had this fear that it was a sign that I would get a blood clot! No rational basis I know- but it was something I was so frightened of! One would have thought I had restless legs syndrome!
 
So how are you doing today?
Sandy
 
Hi. Good to see you've come through.

Like others I was using crutches before so find them easier

The first two weeks was a work up to get out of bed lunchtime. Have a shower then rest and come downstairs to the sofa

The more you're resting the more you're healing. Your scar that's healing will thank you

Take it easy. Your strength will gradually increase. First two weeks is rest and getting to the loo and sofa/bed

Keep up the good work!!
 
At the week plus a couple days mark I am a mass of moving black and blue marks. And the spot on the thigh where the tourniquet was is a wall of red and brown swollen skin but is slowly getting better….. I think.

This morning I woke up and found the bruising had moved into my ankle and calf which is now all black and blue. And the knee is very stiff. Now icing and gently using the CPM machine with low settings to just get some movement with it.

At yesterday’s Drs appt he thought scar looked fine and said movement was well within normal for the first week. He said things were progressing normally.

Dr was actually more concerned about my heart as I had some problems with breathing the night before. I am monitored regularly for a heart issue so will make that appt when I am more up to getting around.

Nothing has been mentioned about PT yet, probably still a couple of weeks out; right now it’s still gentle stretching and icing per the Dr. (Yes, I HAVE heard that before; never remember where.) And Dr didn’t mention or push for any certain flexion/extension with me. Just the statement it was within normal range for this time in recovery. I like that as I am not fretting then, about getting an extra two degrees flexion or some such number.

That’s enough writing for now. Time for more pain meds.
 
Anyone else have problems with sitting for longer than a few minutes in a chair? What do you for it?

I can sit for about two minutes before my leg starts aching. And I can't get my leg pulled back underneath as much, it won't go to a 90 or even 75 degree angle comfortably.


How do you pull yourself up when you can't get your foot under you enough to stand?

 
This is why an electric lift recliner is such a blessing--you can just push the remote button and it will almost put you in a standing position.

I didn't sit in regular chairs much the first 4 weeks--mostly I was in my lift recliner with my legs elevated even if I wasn't icing--could still see TV and read and snooze.

So if it's uncomfortable----don't sit and if you do be sure someone is around to help pull you up.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
 
Yeah, that is my concern when I go home and won't have anyone to pull me out.
Four weeks is a long time to not sit in regular chairs. I thought the last week has been rough, sounds like the next three won't be a party either.

But not like I didn't know that I guess. I can envision the emergency phone call to my neighbor to pull me out of a chair. :hysterical:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom