Guest viewing is limited

TKR ACIM

Good Morning ACIM,
You may have some reading here envious of the sleep you're able to get. Many are restless, tossing and turning, can't get comfy, even roaming from bed to recliner in the night, like Goldilocks looking for that spot that was just right. :wink:
Sleep is good because our body does the majority of it's repair work while we're sleeping. It also improves mood, and enhances our motivation making us feel less impatient with everything and we know our patience can be tested in recovery. Your body is doing exactly what it needs to heal better and faster. So snooze away, in-between icing / elevating, navigating stairs, getting outdoors for some fresh air when you're able and engaging in some gentle stretches and easy walks. Happy Friday!
@ACIM
 
Thank you Layla. I am just going to check in quickly here and to tell you that, 10 days after surgery, ( can you believe it??!) I am starting to see some progress, very little, but I am seeing it nonetheless. Still extremely tired and sleeping all the time, sorry fellow bonesmart companions. But I think my mood is starting to improve and I have no idea what to expect from this point on. The last knee surgery I had 10 years ago was absolutely awful but this one is much better.
Have not started PT exercises yet. They are so basic and so simple and I have been walking plenty both with and without my Walker. I do go for my two week follow up next thursday, April 24th and they will want to send me out to outpatient PT. I may or may not go once or twice. It is a 45 minute drive each way and of course I cannot drive myself. Will have to see if someone can take me.
After my two weeks follow up I think I will be focusing more on getting my strength back up as I told my job I might be out 3 weeks and now I'm thinking I might be out four instead. It's a part-time position, Monday through Thursday, 4 hours a day and I'm sitting at a computer. I will defer to my doctor on this one but I really don't want to keep work waiting too long as I told them initially that after 2 weeks I could probably work from home for a couple of weeks until I go back to the office. However, I'm starting to realize that the onboarding process of getting everything into my house, computer, headsets, and all the instructions of having to work remotely, and then take everything back to work when I do go back physically might be more than I want to handle. Thoughts? You have been awesome and I don't know that I will sign up for a second month with bone smart. You guys have gotten me through the roughest of times, I think it's been four joint surgeries now that I have been on bone smart.
Blessings my angel.
 
I'm glad to hear you are doing well with your recovery so far! I checked and you do have physical therapy options close to you:

* Benchmark Physical Therapy
* Select Physical Therapy
* Roper St. Francis Physical Therapy

You can request that your surgeon place an order at one of these clinics for you rather than making a long drive. You may want to speak with each of them to see how experienced their staff is with knee replacement patients. But this may be a better option for you. At this early stage an hour and a half of driving plus the therapy time will likely be a challenge for you.
 
Fantastic that you are noticing progress, ACIM! Thankfully you feel this recovery is remarkably better than your first. :yes!:Are you able to ease back into work, to see how you handle it? Maybe only half the time for a couple weeks? If not, hopefully you can take breaks to stretch and walk and even ice a bit at your desk if you feel it necessary.

I hope you have a pleasant Easter weekend if you celebrate and also a good post op appointment on the 24th.
You're doing great! :egypdance:
@ACIM
 
Hi layla, intense pain today as I did too much yesterday. Am icing the knee and elevating and taking the pain meds. I am committed to not doing anything today.
As far as work goes I had planned on starting to work remotely as of April 28th. But I can see that the onboarding process with bringing a computer in, the necessary cables and then being on the phone with the office for the first couple of days to understand the system from a home basis just isn't something I want to do. I had planned on doing it for just a couple of weeks until I could get back to the office, so I don't want to have that kind of commotion for just a two-week stint working remotely. I would prefer to take an extra week and return to work around the 5th of May which would be just over 3 weeks of absence from my job. I think my biggest concern is that I get tired so easily. But I know it will continue to get better and I just want to sleep today. Pain is intense not so much on the top of the knee but down the back of my calf and on the innermost part of my knee on the inside of the leg. Even elevating hurts because it is stretching from the back of my calf up to my buttocks. Thoughts?
 
Oh no, I'm sorry your dealing with such pain. It sounds like you're in the ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Hopefully with rest / sleep, icing and elevation you're feeling good again soon.

I understand the reasoning in regard to your return to work. I only hope you're able to handle it. You have a little over two weeks to build more strength and stamina, so lets hope for the best!

It certainly isn't unusual to have a spike in pain, especially if you're feeling you overdid it doing more than your healing tissues were ready for. Rest and elevate for a day or two and don't push through any pain. Ice to reduce inflammation and maybe try some gentle calf stretches if you're able. Hopefully this is just a hiccup, which is common, but doesn't make it hurt any less or feel less frustrating. I hope these measures bring you speedy relief.
Hugs and best wishes!
@ACIM
 
I'll keep you apprised Layla. Thank you so much for your consistent support.
 
You're welcome. My pleasure! I hope you have a nice Sunday!
@ACIM
 
Hi layla, okay, just finished my first set of the PT exercises given to me when I left the surgical center 10 days ago. Damn, it hurts! And these look like the easiest exercises in the world to do. I think the quads hurt the most. I hate this! This is why I put the surgery off for so long. Did not want to go through any kind of pain again. I think the exercise is in total took maybe 10 to 12 minutes and I don't feel like I should be that weak that I am in pain.
 
It is way too early to be doing 10-12 minutes of exercises. Your body has been through the mill with this surgery and needs time to heal.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises. That is counterproductive.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Good Morning ACIM,

Remember this -
It is not necessary to force your injured knee to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through TKR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, gentle stretches and easy movement, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

I did some of the exercises the PT at my surgery site sent me home with...when I felt like it. I did them slow and easy, never pushing through any pain. I attended only three out patient PT sessions and didn't allow the PT to push me through anything that hurt either. I was bored and quit. I had read enough here that I trusted a slow easy approach works best and that is what I encourage you to try.

You're in pain because you just experienced the trauma of major surgery. Do what you're able only and that list will grow as your strength and stamina increase over time. If it's not too much of a hassle to navigate the stairs, you may want to try a short walk outdoors, if it's level ground and feels safe.
I hope today is a good day! Stay in touch! :friends:
@ACIM
 
Good morning all, it is an incredibly beautiful spring morning here in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
But I have been feeling very angry the last few days at having to rehab yet again from another joint surgery. I feel like flinging everything I own against the nearest wall and watching it break, lol! Just kidding.
The point being I have no idea which exercises to start today for PT. I have my two-week follow-up appointment tomorrow. I've been walking a little everyday and up and down the stairs as you know. Because I have been doing yoga for several years too my ROM is probably pretty good from doing the baby pose every morning and I know my flexion is good from stretching everyday. Thinking about starting some heel slides today? Maybe some very light quad exercises? Thoughts please. Also, off the pain meds as of today. Blessings.
 
Well hello on this beautiful Spring morning, ACIM!
Totally fair to feel angry about another rehab, it's no fun! There's frustration, fatigue, lack of mobility, and a feeling of dependency on others. The good thing is, it's only temporary... as you know, but nonetheless annoying.

If you want to try heel slides, I'd keep it short and sweet. You can use a sliding aid such as a plastic bag, or even a sock on a hardwood floor will work. This will help reduce friction. Gentle motion only. No pushing into pain. Great news that your ROM is good from years of yoga. That's a plus! I think mastering the stairs is good progress because many avoid them. I understand it was necessary for you, but it's still progress. And you're off the pain meds! :happydance:Yay!

Keep in mind that regaining our ROM doesn't require aggressive bending or challenging movements, in fact that approach can be self defeating. It is more about consistent, gentle repetition over time. Healing takes time, time for the body to recover, for the pain and swelling to ease, and for everything to settle. Your ROM is already there, just waiting for the right conditions to emerge. In most cases it doesn't need to be forced, struggled for, or stressed over, It will come naturally and gradually.

I wish you well for your first post op tomorrow. It's always reassuring to receive a nod from the OS, or PA, that you're doing well and things appear as they should. Please let us know how it goes.

Wishing you a beautiful day!
@ACIM
 
Thank you again Layla for your support and feedback. I think your plan for today, for me, sounds great. I will follow through and keep in touch. The only struggle I am having is keeping my kitty from jumping up on my knee, haha!
IMG_5767.webp
 
You're welcome!
Aww...feisty little fluff ball. Your kitty is cute!
@ACIM
 
Hey Layla, I just realized that when you were suggesting PT places for me they were all in charleston, South Carolina. I should have let you know that I am now living in johnstown, Pennsylvania. Big difference but my family is here and Charleston has become such a popular tourist attraction that it was outpricing me all together. Anyway, I'll update you tomorrow after I see my ortho for my two week Post op. Actually, it's not my doctor I'm seeing, it's his PA. Have a great day.
 
Hi ACIM,
I believe you're referencing the Physical Therapy Clinics that, Jamie, left you in Post 43 above. She was going by the location below your avatar (Charleston)

After a quick check online, I found a clinic in Johnstown PA. They have a Five Star rating if you care to research, read reviews, and consult with the PA tomorrow to get his thoughts. Possibly it's closer than 45 minutes from home. :fingersx:

Nova Care Rehab - Johnstown PA

Best Wishes tomorrow!
@ACIM
 
@ACIM …. If you’re no longer in Charleston, we can update your profile information or you can do it yourself. Please let us know which you would prefer.
 
Hi Jamie and Layla, got the name of the physical therapist that I believe Jamie left me. Not up to updating my profile right now as I've had a pretty rough 24 hours. Did not sleep last night due to ongoing throbbing pain. I cried for about 2 hours this morning and I think it was cathartic. Now for the good news! Went for my two week follow-up today. My ROM is at 115 and my Flex is at 1. The PA that follow me said zero was a completely flat leg so I'm assuming that one for my flexion is good.
Nonetheless it was a 4 hour trip and I am home again and hurting someone but hopefully will sleep well tonight.
Don't know how many PT sessions I will go to but I live with my sister. Her husband is a trauma surgeon at Panama Memorial Hospital which is just a mile from where we live. Given that I may only do one or two sessions, and based on my past experiences with PT especially the knee, the sessions that I do go to will quite probably be very limited.
Thanks for your good thoughts and hope to hear back from you soon. I did ask my PA today for another script on the pain meds given that I don't want to go through another night like I did last night completely off the pain meds. Does that make sense?
 
Hi ACIM, it's nice to hear from you and read your update.
I am sorry you're dealing with pain and it's interfering with sleep. Crying is understandable. I'm sure you're not alone in feeling the need for that type of release. Your body and mind are going through a lot. Pain, fatigue, lack of stamina, limited mobility, a temporary loss of what used to be normal for you. Hopefully crying felt healing for you.

Great news on your follow up with the PA! It's always reassuring to hear you're doing well. A four hour trip is a long one. I'll bet you were stiff afterward. Hopefully you are able to sleep well tonite and it's definitely sensible that you asked for a refill on pain meds, especially for evenings just like this. Two weeks post op is early into the healing process. There will be pain as you know from your first recovery.
Wishing you sound sleep and sweet dreams! :yawn: :sleep:
@ACIM
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom