• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR acetabular cup problems

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hey @allj
I'm hoping this post finds you in a better position than when you last communicated.
I've thought of you often and hoped to see you post that you have found someone to correct the hip problem.

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands
Hello kind helpers
I made an appointment with a surgeon who does revisions. Do you think it's better to have a revision done by a practicing surgeon or at a good teaching hospital?
Thanks for your input
Alan

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Do you think it's better to have a revision done by a practicing surgeon or at a good teaching hospital?
If at all possible find a surgeon whose specialty is revisions. They are used to seeing difficult cases. Ask the surgeon how many revisions they do per year. The higher the number the better.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh @allj
So happy to see you have an appointment so you can get back to your life and out of pain.
I know this isn't how things were supposed to go, but we play the cards we are dealt right?
I will be rooting for you so please do let us know how it goes.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Alan,
It's good to hear you have an appointment. I think Jaycey's advice is the best. It's what I'd do. Please know we're here for you and stay in touch. We'd love to support you on the journey.
Have a pleasant weeeknd!
@allj

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
Thank You all for being supportive and helpful. Things aren’t going so well and don’t know what to do.

I met with Dr. Shekhman who does revisions. He said the angle of the prosthetic was acceptable and that making the cup flush with the pelvis would be problematic with the ball not staying in the socket. I previously met with Dr. Halawi, another surgeon who doesn’t do revisions, who diagnosed my problem as impingement and pointed out the culprit as a prominent cup. He had no problem calling out Dr. Talmo, the original surgeon, and told me to think hard before having a revision. He also told me it would likely be hard to find a surgeon willing to get involved. He said my best option would be going to a teaching hospital. He also told me there is a 50% chance of improving. It’s been 2 yrs since surgery and about 10 months since I was able to raise my leg. I am much better but continue to have significant psoas pinching pain. Wondering if there is a realistic chance of improvement beyond this or is this the way of my future. Any idea how this works?

The other bad news is that my other hip is going. I had an xray that found marginal osteophytes in the femoral head..rings of the hemipelvis appear intact” but showed I had “cephalad migration of the femoral head in relationship to the acetabulum”. (What is that). I also had an MRI of the hip that found there is “bone on bone articulation involving the majority of the articulation”.. “severe marrow edema”.. “severe right hip osteoarthritis”. From the xray Shekhman didn’t think I was a candidate for surgery even though I am in significant pain. I thought It would be a good idea to have the MRI re-read but need my PCC to do it. Even if he did would have surgery wouldn't I have the same problem with the cup being raised?

This has been a life altering and depressing reality. Any words of wisdom or advice is appreciated.
Thanks again.
Alan

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
There is one a short distance away in Springfield, MA (Baystate Hospital) but don't think it is renown. Mass General in Boston, MA and Yale New Haven are maybe more reputable. I'm not sure is there is one in Hartford, CT that is worth of checking out but it is fairly close. Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
Alan

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
Interview for the best surgeon first. Not the most convenient or the hospital This list I hope can stay. I have not researched any of the surgeons but note that many are with Hospital of Special Surgery in NYC. There is one at UConn Health in Farmington CT and one that is at my surgeons practice ( Dr. McGrory )

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
THANK YOU. I've been searching in the dark. That's the list I'm looking for.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
If you're willing to travel to Mass General, here are some surgeons for you to check out:

Boston, Massachusetts

These surgeons are available at Massachusetts General Hospital:

Rubash, Harry E., MD
Melnic, Christopher M., MD
Kwon, Young-Min, MBBS, PhD
Freiberg, Andrew Albert, MD
Bedair, Hany S., MD

@mainegirl1 ... thank you for that list. I'll do some research on the surgeons. When you stumble across a resource like this, it would be good to send me a PM with the link rather than just posting it in a thread. Good information can get lost that way and this is possibly something we can use.

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
Jamie - Thanks for the list at Mass General. The list of 70 best Surgeons from Beckersspine is from 2011! I really don't know how to figure out who might be best. I'm usually uncharacteristically timid (scared) and deferential with surgeons. Are there questions you would recommend that I should ask the surgeon that could help in my decision?
Thanks

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@allj
I do hope you find the surgeon who can help you.
If you use the @ sign before Jamie's name, she will be alerted to your question.
I'll do it to make sure she sees.
@Jamie

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Read the article Pumpkln linked for you and write out your questions ahead of time. Check out the surgeons I listed for you via the links and pick 2 or 3 to consult with. You'll find someone you're comfortable with.

Even though the list is old, it still has a number of good surgeons I recognize on it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mitzi107
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom