Lounge Doctor

THR acetabular cup problems

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, He claims to do more revision surgeries than anyone in Boston - so here's hoping!
Alan

Hip4life

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi, Alan. I’m really hoping this doc can give you some answers. It is very disheartening to have on-going pain and struggle to find solutions. I’ll be very interested to hear what he has to say. Make sure you take your list of questions and points you’d like to cover. Deep breath. Best wishes and positive vibes for Wednesday. ❤ Pat

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Everything is connected...so I'm hoping that the issue that has been plaguing you, once resolved, is likely to resolve all the things that arise from compensation.
Of course I have no direct insight, but I think of your long journey often, and you know I will be on your corner as you search for a resolution.
Virtual hugs for peace of mind after talking to the OS tomorrow, @allj

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
I love you women. You warm my heart. Thanks so much!!!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
It's just a telehealth appointment and you are still in charge.
I know how wearying this has been and yeah, the timing with the 'we wont mention the dumb ole viris' isnt great...
But you have got alot of life you need to be living.
Hope you like this feller/lady?
Be nice.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @allj
Wondering how your virtual appointment went?
:fingersx: it brings you closer to getting a solution.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Just had you on my mind @allj and hope you are well.

Hate to think of you being in pain and not being able to resolve it all this time so if you get the time, please do let us know how you are.

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
Thank you so much for your thoughts! I'm doing poorly.

I had another THR for the right hip done on 9/21/20. I had a sharp pain when stretching and was x-rayed for a possible displacement. I may have dislodged a nerve that was cut after being trapped after a hernia operation (or not) but am having allot of pain in the groin during recovery.

But it's only been a month. I tried to do the same exercises on the left side where I had the previous THR and where the cup is raised about 2mm but this made the left leg pain worse walking upstairs, just walking and occasionally giving out at the top of the quad. I'm hoping it will die down again.

This last surgery made me realize I don't want to go through another hip surgery to revise it. I was forewarned about the possibility of multiple complications by the revision surgeon who did this last surgery as well as his nurse practitioner. When I told him that I was having a hard time living with the pain he referred me to a surgeon who could do a tenotomy even though he previously said they were too unpredictable to do. The referred surgeon had limited if any experience doing these and recommended cutting the muscle at the cup rather than at the trochanter saying it may grow back adding that there weren't enough done to say how frequently this happens.

I found a study reporting it grew back in 2 out of 209 cases. I believe he was doing this as a professional courtesy since the revision surgeon operated on his father. Just to complicate my decision, I had buttock pain previous to the left hip surgery (I thought from a torn labrum) but no pain in the groin. I am unsure of the source the continued buttock pain, so had an EMG done suggesting a distal demylenative neuropathy. I don't want to have the muscle cut if the buttock pain is from the prosthetic. So that is how I am. Not good really and confused.

I am looking for an experienced surgeon to do the tenotomy is Massachusetts. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening. I hate complaining!
You're much appreciated!!
Alan

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @allj - I'm sorry you're still having a bad time. I do hope this second hip replacement recovers more smoothly than your first one.

Here's a copy of our recovery guidelines, just to remind you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Would you like us to change your thread title, to reflect that you've now had a second TR? If so, just post what you'd like your new title to be and we'll change it for you.

OP
OP
allj

allj

Country
Thanks again
I do have another question in regards the first THR. I am probably going to have a tenotomy and need advice.
I met with a surgeon who is known for doing non-invasive laparoscopic surgery to discuss having a tenotomy. He said it is best to cut the psoas where it rubs the cup because there is a possibility of it growing back and also cutting it at the lower trochanter leaves it dangling possibly causing problems down the road. Is there any consensus on the best place to cut the psoas for a tenotomy?
Thanks
Alan

Last edited:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
From caregiver