TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

@kayow11 .... I agree with the body having been through a lot. Sometimes I need a reminder of that. I’m not old, but I don’t spring back like I used to. This is realism.
@Jockette ... Hi you! Got through my first full week since my finger accident. So weird how things seem to get put on the back burner when new blips in life happen. My knees still don’t feel like my own yet, but I’m hopeful they will with more time. I’m grateful I don’t have the extreme bone on bone arthritic pain anymore, or the crumbling cartilage and loose bone fragments floating around. That was havoc. I’ve learned to accept what is, be patient, and go day by day. I’m starting to like my new knees but I know it’ll be a bit before I can say I love them. They are a work in progress. @Ellie@0318 ... It was a tough decision to make concerning both my replacements. But quality of life is more precious than quantity. I can now sit on the floor with my 1 year old granddaughter. Something I never thought I’d be able to do before, and after my replacements until very recently. It was such an amazing feeling to be with her playing on the floor, nothing like it! @SusieShoes .... I’ve thought about your story often when I wasn’t here, on Bonesmart. You truly have been a huge help to me, thank you for being so patient and understanding. Hugs to you all.
 
New weird uncomfortable sensation on back of left knee. Feels like an intermittent pulsating pain starting in back near inside going upward about 3-4 inches. It started a few days ago. Not sure if it’s a nerve, but blood clot has come to mind, not sure because it’s been 4 months since TKR and I thought I was out of the woods concerning blood clots. Hmmmm. I took Tylenol and have heating pad on it. Any thoughts?
 
Let’s tag @Josephine to see what she says, but I had weird aches and pains for a while with my TKR. If you’re worried about a blood clot I think it would be warm and red.
 
There could be a few things responsible.

Show me where this pain is using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<
 
@Josephine Its the inside back on left leg but your chart that says Back looks like there’s kneecaps so assuming it’s correct.... BCDand E areas @LB3. Also it feels like an ache at time, other times a stabbing pain. I see some mild bruising but I didn’t hit my leg. Extra swollen today, I was on my feet all day at work.
 
@Josephine .... makes sense! Thank you. But why all of a sudden? I’ve been back to work since June. And this started about 4 days ago. I seriously thought I developed a blood clot. My left knee swelling has never really gone down all that much. But it’s been worse lately because of extra time on my feet I guess. I’m icing/elevating right now which I haven’t had to do since 3 months after surgery, April 4. Even my right tkr knee and leg seem tight and slightly swollen. Do vein issues occur months after TKR’s? Plus the weather here has been brutally humid and hotter than normal.
 
I doubt it has been "all of a sudden". I've suffered from it myself on numerous occasions and it does tend to ebb and flow. But it's never gone, not completely. I had periods when I would have to do a stretch for a few seconds or a few minutes but it helped. I found I could do this one absolutely anywhere!v Just push your heel to the floor and lean forward as well until you can feel the stretch in your calf. Hold it for as long as is comfortable for you the slowly release. If necessary, do it 2, 3 or 4 times but never more and never more than 10-15 seconds each stretch.

[Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<
 
Will do. Actually I did that at break today at work but thought since I felt it more in my calf than thigh that it wasn’t going to help. New stretch for me on my breaks now. Thank you.
 
The hamstring go down into the calf - like this- and transfer the pain and tightness to the calf muscles.

[Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<
 
My PTs has me do that stretch everyday around month 3-4. It really helped my tightness in my calves.
 
I used to work in a back and neck clinic, and one of the main stretches we taught for hamstrings is to lay on your back, both knees bent, and take a belt or strap and lasso it around The middle of your foot, and keep that leg straight and bring upward until you feel a great stretch in the back of your thigh. Hold for 5 to 15 seconds. Keep the other knee bent while doing this.
We taught this to relieve stress on the back, since the hamstring attaches in the bar rock area and goes down to the upper calf, but it is the best hamstring stretch I have ever done. Can't do it anywhere though, so that is a minus. Need to be in your bed or on a couch, but the floor might be hard to get up and down from.
I haven't been on the floor since I had my knee replacements. Not sure I could get back up very well.
 
Thanks all for info and suggestions. I don’t have pain or tightness in my calves. It’s been in my thigh area. I’ve been more active past few days, stretches and also went swimming a couple days ago. The cool water and gentle kicking and movements in the pool have helped more than I could imagined. My legs and knees feel very good today. Yay! Almost feel normal. It’s an unbelievable feeling, I never thought it would be possible since approximately year and half ago when knee pain started getting bad. I’m feeling blessed today. Thank you all here on Bonesmart, honestly, I couldn’t have made it through this journey by myself without your support. Hugs!
 
What a wonderful, uplifting post you have written! It shows those behind you that things do get better!
 
Hi all Bonesmarties! I’m doing well. Since last weekend, I had more pain in back of knee. On Thursday, yesterday, it was horrible. I took it upon myself to get an ultrasound. Fortunately for me, I have a relative that has access to ultrasound equipment in a physicians office and they fit me in and I got one today. No waiting. I left work a little early, but it was important for my own peace of mind because of how painful it felt. It worried me. Results showed a cyst that had burst. I’m thinking it burst yesterday because of the pain I was feeling. There is fluid in the tissue surrounding the cyst so that means it’s draining. Thank god it wasn’t a blood clot. I just got to let nature help me drain this thing by icing and elevating. I go next month for 1 year visit for right TKR. At that time I’m having X-rays on both TKRs. Im working full time, on my feet, walking, squatting, you name it. I almost feel like my knees belong to me now. My left TKR was April this year. But I feel it’s doing well other than the recent cyst issue. But this too, shall pass. Hugs all. :)
 
Onch! I know that hurts! You're doing so good, and had this happen. I've not heard how a busted cyst is treated. You're a first for me. So, icing and elevating will help to drain that fluid, just like you do for swelling? That's certainly easy to do. I pray the pain eases up quickly.
 
@sistersinhim ..... I knew on Thursday something was going on in my knee because of sudden onset of pain behind my knee and calf. Pain that I never experienced before. I took a Tylenol at work for first time in long time. I’m wearing a compression stocking from toe to upper thigh. It feels amazingly good. I’m icing and elevating now. I also did some research concerning bursting bakers cyst after tkr and it’s rare. I see my OS in September and hope I could hold off a visit before then. Also hoping this cyst drains by itself and doesn’t come back. But my spirits are good! I’m not gonna let this put a black cloud over my head. I’ve been through too much and conquered to keep this from getting me down. I’m Done with Down! This too shall pass. I’m sure of it. :good-bad::yahoo:
 
I also did some research concerning bursting bakers cyst after tkr and it’s rare.
This kind of special you don't wanna be! :rotfl: Your attitude is wonderful! With that positive outlook, you'll do just fine!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom