Guest viewing is limited

TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

I’d say your fall is still affecting your knees. At not quite 2 months from your last TKR I’m not surprised you have swelling and are sore, especially after falling. It can take a few weeks for soft tissue to recover from the jolt of a fall. My college roommate fell years after her TKR and it still took weeks for the soft tissue to heal.

I may have said this before on your thread, but it took a year before I felt 100% myself and even longer for my ROM to level off. I know it’s boring, I had an extended recovery due to a second surgery and infection, but you can’t hurry the healing process. When I got bored I visited friends (where I would elevate my leg) or go out to eat (where I would elevate my leg) or go to the movies (you guessed it, where I would elevate my leg).

Have you tried walking with a cane, walking sticks or walker for now? Your knees may just need that extra help and support. I used a cane well after I returned to work at 3 months post op.
 
@KarriB i don’t want to start depending on the cane again. I think of it as regression not progression at this point since my surgery. I’ve been doing a lot of ice/elevate and just basic necessities. I have PT tomorrow, I have to go. I cancelled last Thursday. Hopefully I’ll find out what’s going on then. I don’t know anymore.... this isn’t how I imagined my knee replacements to go, how much they would affect every aspect of my life. Wake up call to anyone who thinks it’s just a knee replacement, there’s wayyy more involved than just a skilled surgeon and his knife.
 
Patience, grasshopper.....:wink::wink: This recovery is a MARATHON, not a sprint. 6 weeks is very early in the recovery. You will have good days, and you will have bad days, and occasionally you will have a great day. As time goes on, you will have more good days than bad and more and more great days. I recently read the following on a thread that someone said their doctor told them and it's so totally true.......Hang in there!
[Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<
 
Also, using your cane when you need it is just common sense. It's not a regression! If I'm recalling correctly, after one of my surgeries I was barely off the walker at 6 weeks and then used the cane for quite a while. Your poor knee was assaulted like crazy and will take time to heal and recover. Think about it; when a child breaks their arm, they are in a cast for 6 weeks. Your knee, and the bones around it, were sawed off, hammered, drilled, cemented, sliced and diced....And it takes time to recover from that! As for PT tomorrow, no, you don't "HAVE" to go. They won't send the police to your door if you skip it. It's your knee, and you are the only one who can make the decision to attend PT or skip it. Your doctor may strongly suggest you go, but you make the final decision, and IMHO, your knee needs to rest right now, not exercise.
 
@lovetocookandsew I am still not at the point where I can trust my new knees. I know if I trip or slip, I’m going down. My thigh muscles weren’t that strong to begin with so this just makes it worse. Not being able to do athletics my entire life I did however love to Hike, ride a bike, and walk without fear of stumbling. This fear is my new normal lately since September and I’m sick of it. I feel so much older than my age. It’s depressing and definitely life changing for the worse not better. Maybe someday? I need it badly now.
 
We all want it "now", but that's not how this surgery and recovery works, unfortunately. You need to take a very large dose of patience, and allow your knee the time it needs to recover. If you don't, your recovery will be delayed and much more difficult. If your knee is swollen or hurting, that's your knee telling you, "Danger Will Robinson!" and you need to listen. Even on days your knee is feeling great, you need to phase in your activities, so as not to overdo and stress your knee. Again, this recovery is a MARATHON, and the key is PATIENCE and TLC. You need to use your cane until you no longer need it. If you are hurting and unstable, that's a big sign you need support. You may be frustrated and impatient, but this recovery takes time and you need to give your knee that time.
 
Ok so I guess at this point onward I need to pray, hope, and have faith that my knees will heal and become strong enough to carry me through the next days before I return to work and then pray, hope and have faith that I can work through an eight hour day then pray, hope and have faith that they hang on until I finish my day. Then repeat. Ok. I think I get it now.. That’s all I can ask for. Thanks everyone here on Bonesmart. You’ve all been very supportive and very knowledgeable.
 
Ok so I guess at this point onward I need to pray, hope, and have faith that my knees will heal and become strong enough to carry me through the next days before I return to work and then pray, hope and have faith that I can work through an eight hour day then pray, hope and have faith that they hang on until I finish my day. Then repeat. Ok. I think I get it now.. That’s all I can ask for. Thanks everyone here on Bonesmart. You’ve all been very supportive and very knowledgeable.
Hi Needhope. Left a response msg for you on my thread... wrong place. lol
 
Actually, you need to elevate, ice, walk around your house doing normal things, don't over stress your knees, eat properly so your body has what it needs to heal, use support devices as you need them, and have PATIENCE. Personally, IMHO, the last one is your achilles heel. It's okay to have the occasional pity party; we all do; but you can't make it your daily routine. At some point you need to accept that this is a long recovery, fraught with both good and bad; then begin to celebrate the good and learn to live with the bad.
 
Last edited:
Using the cane is not regression if it lessens the pain and/or swelling of your knees. With TKR surgery pain is a sign that you’re doing too much or expecting too much right now from your new knees and the bones that they were placed in. If you don’t trust your new knees (and that’s a very common issue at 2 months) then it just makes sense to use a device. I don’t think many TKRs are walking without a device at some point during the day at 2 months post op.
 
@Needhope. I'm not a doctor but it sounds to me as though you are suffering from depression. It's not surprising really considering the huge surgery you've gone though and having unrealistic expectations of how long your recovery should be isn't helping. I know you need to go back to work as you need the money, i'm in the same situation as i'm a single parent but if you could just maybe take each day as it comes and not try to worry about everything at once, it may help ? Failing that, maybe see your GP and have a chat with them to see if some anti depressant medication would help ?
 
I am still not at the point where I can trust my new knees. I know if I trip or slip, I’m going down.
That is one more good reason why you still need to be using your cane.

Using your cane isn't a regression - it's common sense. It's better to use it than to risk having another fall.
This is where you are now, but it isn't where you are going to end up. Wishing to be further along and able to do more things won't make it so. Healing takes time - a lot of time. Do try to accept that and dig deep for more patience.

Give yourself and your knees the time and the treatment that they need, to do their job of healing.

If you like, think of your healing knee as a baby growing inside you. When you were 3 months pregnant, did you worry and fret because the baby wasn't a fully-formed eight-pounder? No. You knew that, given time, you would eventually have a beautiful baby to hold.
Similarly with your knee, it isn't fully healed now, but one day it will be - and it will feel a whole lot different from the way it feels now.
 
knee as a baby growing inside you. When you were 3 months pregnant, did you worry and fret because the baby wasn't a fully-formed eight-pounder? No. You knew that, given time, you would eventually have a beautiful baby to hold.
Similarly with your knee, it isn't fully healed now, but one day it will be - and it will feel a whole lot different from the way it feels now.
That is an excellent comparison!
 
As I have written to you before, I had my right total knee on September last year, and my left knee revision one week before you had your last surgery.
My first one year old knee, still gives me trouble. It isn't Strong, feels weak and unstable at times, has poor balance and proprioception, gets tired, achy and painful easily, so you see it is not completely abnormal to have these symptoms still.
I still can't stand or walk even 20 to 30 minutes without problems. And of course my nine week old knee is worse. I also can't bend well which creates its own set of problems. 95° on my one year-old, and maybe 80 to 85° on my nine week old.
As everyone else on this site has advised you, to not be so unreasonable and unrealistic about what you think should be happening. I know the feeling. But I have accepted that my situation is slower than most, and what choice do I have but to wait anyway.
Worrying , being negative, being a pessimist, super stubborn, all contribute to extra misery mentally and physically. I do know that your nature is to worry, and I am glad the meds have helped some, but some of it is mind over matter.
Have you considered going to any counseling, or joining a ladies church group for a Bible study or anything like that to give you extra encouragement?
I know you have the job situation which is a big concern. But if you go back to work and can't do your job, there are other options. I don't think you will starve or lose your home. Some things may change though.
You can't control the future just by worrying about it so much. Do what you can and see what happens after that.
I put a cane by my bed at night, and when I get up to use the restroom, or get up in the morning, my knees both feel very stiff and sore so I use the cane and it helps. I usually don't use it around the house during the day, but if I go for a short walk, or to the store for a 10 or 15 minute shopping spree ha ha, I use the cane.
I also use those little electric carts if I have to go to the store, If they are available. I really really need the extra help and support. I always wait for the handicap bathroom stall too, so I don't take chances of hurting myself.
I don't know where you get the idea that it is regression to have to use the cane sometimes. You have to put that thought out of your head, it is ridiculous. You are always too hard on yourself. I don't give a rip about what anyone thinks. Just take care of yourself and do what you need to do.
Hopefully in a year or so, hopefully less, we will both be on here, advising others and sharing our long long stories. Look forward to that. Try to profess healing and trust in God over your situation.
 
After I read the recent post from Celle, I readily agreed with her regarding the need for you to use a cane if you feel unstable, and as if you are going to fall. Why would you take that chance!?! That is crazy to take the risk of falling and ruining your surgery or breaking something else.
I am trying very hard to be real careful with all my movements, knowing my deficits. I sure don't want another surgery or another problem from falling. I have more than I can handle already, and so do you. :no-fin:
 
I’m new to the forum, and I don’t know all your history but I will say that you should be as gentle with yourself as you would with your best friend in the same situation. Would you advise a friend to use a cane and not worry about it? Give yourself the same love and understanding. I wish you well.
 
Hello Bonesmart Family...
I’m back to update and hopefully help others. I went back to work in a factory on June 27. Tough day but I made it through which empowered me mentally. I worked that week which ended up being only 3 days because I went back on a Weds.
The following week happened to be 4th July week, I worked all but that day which we all had off. So, 4 day week. Not horrendous, I made t through. Felt amazing to get back and feel like a productive member of society again. It’s been a long time. My new left knee is actually doing very well. It didn’t balk too much from what I was asking from it. I do work in a factory and use heavy machinery for my job. Only issue I had was I slammed my left knee into a corner of a desk twice that week. It hurt, but not as much as I thought it would. Just soft tissue pain, a little swelling. I handled it like a trooper.
This week, worked Monday gladly knowing I’m now earning a full paycheck Because I worked! Well, ugh... Tuesday end of day, 15 minutes before it was time to call it a work day we’ll done..... I suffered a work related accident on a machine and nearly amputated the tip of my finger. Seriously? This can’t be happening. My luck.
I have a fractured tip with a near amputation. Soooo.... I’m now out on Workman’s Comp. Hopefully only until next week, but who knows.
My knees have now been in the background of my thoughts. Even though it’s only been over 10 months for RTKR and 3 months from LTKR. I received a tetanus vaccine and I’m on a course of antibiotics.
I’m concerned for my “newly replaced “ knees as I am horrified bacteria will somehow make its way to them. Am I being overly concerned or is this a justifiable reason for me to be on edge once again? Life surely isn’t a dull moment with me. Ha ha ha. Ugh.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom