Guest viewing is limited

abnormal lab results after ltkr

I'm glad you cut back a bit. Honestly, it's so early in your recovery. Ankle pumps and walking to the bathroom and back are all you need to do at this stage.

My surgeon does not allow anything more than just gentle walking for the first month after knee replacement - and his patients all so well.
 
Still having trouble with throat feeling like food lumps and burping/hiccups often lasting an hour
That's caused by the intubation which was probably clumsy. I've had the same thing myself once when I had a lump removed from my arm. Started out with a nerve block and sedation but something went amiss and the young anaesthetist had to intubate me in a hurry. I suffered from that sore throat for almost a week! (Mind you, I wouldn't have known anything about it if the nurse in charge of the theatre hadn't been a friend and spilled the beans!) It might help you to understand of you take a look at this article Anaesthetics - spinals, femoral blocks, GAs and everything else
 
@J.A. Hag - it's also possible that the food lumps and burping/hiccups are due to the Percocet. Just as opiates interfere with intestinal peristalsis (constipation), they can interfere with esophageal peristalsis. I'm having just what you describe again this time. With my last knee it went away when I decreased my oxycodone from 10 mg every 3 hours to 5 mg every 3 hours. This time I've stayed with 5 mg but it's happening again. The burping/hiccups are worse when I'm drinking liquids. I've figured out that if I use a straw and am careful to breathe out before I swallow, it happens less often. I can usually get the hiccups to stop if I eat a couple of crackers. I get more of the lumps (or sticking feeling) with solid food, so I am careful to take small bites, chew well, and swallow carefully. It's annoying!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I had to discontinue cpm machine due to pain and swelling. I rested knee all day and iced and it seems to hurt worse. Should I call my dr its 7:39 at night?
 
J.A. Hag,
I would call for peace of mind, and speak to the on call OS.

You are very early in recovery, I suspect that your pain and swelling is from overuse of the CPM, and over activity.
Follow the BoneSmart mantra, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed.
 
These are the kind of things that surgeons are used to getting calls for. So if it will make you feel better to talk to someone in person, contact the on-call doctor. When you get pain and swelling from over use, it normally takes more than just one day to resolve. You've most likely really angered up those soft tissues and you'll need several days of rest, ice, elevation and something for your pain (on a set schedule) before it resolves.

Were you following a CPM schedule your surgeon had established for you? If so, you need to let the person you talk with know it was too much for your tender knee.

You will notice that I have merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. Please post here with updates, questions or concerns. That way we can easily go back and review your history when we need to provide advice for you. Posting in a single recovery thread creates a very nice journal of your recovery journey for you and anyone else who comes along and wants to know what your recovery was like. If you find you'd like to change the thread title at any time, just post what you want in this thread and we'll get it changed for you.
 
Personally I would be very anti using a CPM at only one week out. What was your schedule for using this machine?
 
Hi everyone, thanks for your advice. I completely stopped doing PT and CPM machine for 24 hours, iced more and even used crutches instead of walker and lifted foot off the ground to protect my knee and ... My knee feels so much better. The PT just left and she didn't work me very much today. But she told me to do cpm for one hour tonight and stop if at anytime it hurts or starts to swell. I will probably not keep to their schedule for me since its 6 hours total a day broken down into 3 two hour sessions. By the time I do regular PT stretches they want and the machine it would be 7 to 8 hours work a day. I had a micro fracture surgery last year that had me non weight bearing for 4 months then a cane for a month. So, I have been thru so much with this knee and had to quit my job I don't want to overdo pt on this surgery.
 
I completely stopped doing PT and CPM machine for 24 hours, But she told me to do cpm for one hour tonight and stop if at anytime it hurts or starts to swell.
24hours is not sufficient. You need to give it at least a week. And I'd stop using that machine altogether if I were you. If it angered your leg once, it will do it again. And CPMs don't do what they say they do anyway.
 
I got a call from the medical supply place saying they made a mistake and my insurance wont pay for the cpm they r coming to pick it up on Monday. Praise the Lord
 
I got a call from the medical supply place saying they made a mistake and my insurance wont pay for the cpm they r coming to pick it up on Monday.
Hooray! That couldn't be better news! And you now have a ready-made reason for not using the CPM - no need to explain anything to your surgeon or PT.
I'm sure your knee will thank your insurance company for that.

Some people like the CPM. Others hate it. It makes no difference to your knee's final result, so I see no point in using something that hurts.
 
Hi have been extremely weak since I woke up and my husband took my temp its been 100.2. for awhile. I'm not sure if its knee related because it warm and swollen the last 3 days. I have no cold symptoms. Waiting for a call back from a nurse.
 
My fever was popping up to 100.9 only once crossed into the 101 range for up to 4 weeks post op. OS said as long as was under 101.4 he was not concerned about infection but to keep an eye on it.

Right knee patellofemoral anthroplasy ( partial replacement) 14 October 2016
 
I'm not a person that runs a fever very easily, so if I were you, I would have it checked out. I had a slight infection and ran no fever and had no signs of a infection except for a little drainage and area that wouldn't heal. Getting it checked out will give you peace of mind, if it is getting infected catching it soon than later will be beneficial, I'll watch for your updates. Good luck
 
I'd contact your OS office. This sounds not right. Remember to ice and elevate
Your surgeons office has staff so don't worry about being a bother
 
Hope you got the call from the doctor's office and they assured you that your fever was nothing to be worried about. It's something that happens to a lot of folks after surgery.

You may notice that I merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer that you keep all your updates, questions and concerns in a single thread (this one!). It makes things so much easier if we need to go back and review your entire history. And, it creates a journal of your recovery that is easy to read for anyone who comes along and wants to know more about your recovery. If you ever want the title changed, just post what you prefer and we'll change it for you.
 
I had a slight temp for a few days a week or so after my surgery, but was told it is normal. Most likely it is nothing to worry about, but calling your doctor is a good idea.
 
Good Morning, I ran a fever and was dripping sweat and very hot to touch all over for 24 hrs all together, I took aleve, ibuprofen, tylenol in addition to percocet and tramadol and iced and I was still miserable. Once the temp lowered which its now 99.5. I feel better with pain level and have more strength today. Could only sleep 4 hours that was with a sleeping pill. Home health sent a nurse this morning. she took my urine and blood to take in for lab testing. My blood pressure is always around 102 even on surgery day when anxiety was high it was 118. It was 128, which for me is high. The nurse saw how I get clammy and sweat with a 99.4. I told her yesterday my hair and shirt were wet. She's hoping I don't have an infection internally because externally my incision looks good. I have IC so I would know if it was my bladder, its feeling fine. I will hear results tomorrow.
 
I hope you continue to feel better.
Your nurse did all the right things. Good for her!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom