Guest viewing is limited

PKR "A textbook perfect recovery..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] "A textbook perfect recovery..."
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] "A textbook perfect recovery..."
bottomshollow
 
Wow Jeano ! Thats was a great thread. Other than the ice sherpas episode and cruising the streets of your town with ancient mothers while you were shoehorned in the backseat. Everything seemed to go great. One quick question. You guys seemed to "pick up ice" alot. Do you not have a ice maker ? Anyhoot , its great to read a successful thread every now a then. Congratulations!! I guess it pays to have been a nurse and all the other factors you mentioned Your preparation was masterful and fortunately for you , had bonesmart in your hip pocket.BTW ! My girlfriend is a horsewoman , she volunteers for SAFER. A horse rescue organization. And was a barrel rider. Im pre op and cant even get on a horse. Maybe after im recovered I could get a great big Palomino. Well Jeano I dont know how I missed your thread earlier I would have wished you a happy holiday season and a blessed birthday. I am pre op till February 10. Im as prepared as one can get. I will take it easy. Best to you and the ice sherpa! Sincerly Ivan
 
@icep707 Thanks! We pick up ice a lot so as not to run the icemaker completely out--early on it couldnt keep up. Now it could, probably, but we are still getting the bagged ice, which we tend to keep on hand in case the next door neighbors shoot a deer and give us half. Deer season having finally run its course, and with freezing cold temperatures, AND with me going back to work, the bag of ice the Sherpa brought home from work last night might be the last we need to purchase until the Next Knee.

It'll be 8 weeks this coming Monday, and I am heading in for my first shift back at work this morning. Almost but not quite looking forward to being less of a sloth.

Had my first ride (with my riding buddy) that took me more than a mile from home on New Year's day--had to do my first dismount and remount away from my two step mounting block--this involved putting my mare in a ditch and trying at first unsuccessfully to get the knee flexed enough to get back on her--needed a deeper ditch with a taller bank and got'er done on the second attempt. There's always SOMETHING I can use if I explore a little--stump, pile o' dirt, log, ditch, pickup bed--something. However my ability to climb the improvised mounting blocks is also challenged. Note to self--teach horse to knee.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery, Ivan.
 
First day back at work wasnt any worse than any other day at work! Knees, both of them, felt a LOT better during the shift than either of them felt the last time I worked at the end of October. I didnt make any provision for icing, reasoning that if things got desperate I could stick my knee out the door for a minute, it being 25 degrees yesterday morning. I did prop my leg up for a minute on a wastebasket, just to see if that would work if need be. Didnt need to, kept moving, didnt sit for prolonged periods, iced and elevated a little after I got home and dealt with the critters and chores, overall a smashing success. Nobody Died (my motto as a psych nurse when asked how the day went) and I slept like an innocent baby last night. I'm taking it easy today but that's probably due more to natural indolence than to repercussions from having worked. My left hip isnt happy with this weather, but the Knee is doing fine.
 
A quick update, now that I am 8 weeks out from surgery.

Pain/discomfort are minimal. I am taking arthritis strength Tylenol--two 650mg tabs twice a day. Some days I remember to take 1000mg in between the two 8 hour doses.

Scar is only 2.5 inches long and looks great--maybe a little hypertrophy on one end, using silicone scar sheets on it which do seem to be helping it tighten up.

ROM was good when PT fired me. Every evening when I shower I put the left foot up on the shelf at one end of the shower and run warm water over the knee, especially on the tight iliotibial band, and flex the knee forward as far as it will go. When I first started doing this a week or so ago I couldnt get the knee anywhere close to the back wall of the shower. Now I can, so I am skootching the foot back so its just toes on the shelf, and moving the supporting leg back for more stretch. Otherwise, not really doing anything that resembles PT (see below).

Milestones achieved: have worked a shift, am able to walk a mile with dogs and DH, can ride the horses and take care of them, including trimming their hooves, can do chores and housework, can get down on the floor and back up (not pretty to watch, but thank God I do not have to look at the process), drive, run errands, haul groceries, I can put on my underwear and trousers while standing up and best of all I am sleeping all night most nights .

Note that I do not claim to have skiied down Kilimanjaro, hiked the Grand Canyon or the Appalachian Trail, nor have I squatted with a hundred pounds on the bar. Nor am I doing all of the above mentioned stunts in the same day, with the possible exception of putting clothes on. I continue to rest, ice, and elevate my knee for hours at a time. Feels good.
 
Awesome progress. Good for you Jeano. How is your scar so small? Is it the silicone?
 
I'm so happy for you, jeano. :cheers:
 
@Jozilla : I think my OS builds ships in bottles in his spare time. However he did it, he got the crappy medial compartment scraped down, hammered the jig in, drilled out, packed the implant in, squeezed in the bone cement, and sewed it all up through a very small opening. I expect it stretched out quite a bit to get all the hardware in and out.

The silicone thingy isnt effecting the length of the scar, only the appearance of it--seems to be speeding the flattening and tightening process. I have some ancient keloid scars--50 years old, and they took FOREVER to get pale and flat--like, 15-20 years, so I opted to try the scar away voodoo.
 
@kneeper:
Appreciated the beer smilies--a big motivator for me to get off opiates as quickly as I did was that hydrocodone made beer taste bad. Wine tasted ok, but wine just doesnt go as well with hotdogs, peanuts, or popcorn. Plus, much as I enjoyed being bombed out of my skull, being like that for days on end just didnt appeal to me.
 
Thought I would add my latest dubious accomplishments. With the terribly cold weather that reached even here in the Deep South, and with the Ice Sherpa back at work, it fell on Jeano's pale and fragile shoulders (yark) to haul water for the critters over the past two three days. Now, our little irrigation system works extremely well, pumping water from the pond to all kinds of places, some several tenths of a mile removed from the house. We use pond water for the poultry, horses, garden and orchard. But the system has to be drained and shut off whenever temperatures drop below freezing or we'll bust all the above ground pipes where the spigots are. The draining takes a minute, and starting everything back up when the temperature rises enough takes another minute, so this isnt a hassle, just another small chore that needs done. BUT--if the temperature doesnt rise above freezing, or stay above freezing long enough for things to thaw out, then water must be hauled. For the poultry this isnt a big deal. You dip a couple of buckets in the pond and walke a hundred feet or so and they are good to go for the day. Usually you dont have to do this at all because usually their waterers dont freeze solid. This week they did. They were still frozen this morning, in fact, even though temps went up to the 40s for several hours yesterday.

So, the new knee could handle toting a couple of buckets. The new knee also handled toting and splitting firewood, since I wanted a fire in the woodstove. (I was icing and basking at the same time, at least when I wasnt working like a dog to keep the fire going.)

What the new knee faced as its biggest challenge, though, was getting water to the HORSES. Big animals drink a lot, and by Tuesday afternoon their trough had nothing in it but big chunks of ice and a little slush at the bottom (no electricity to the barn so no de-icer). This has always been our nightmare scenario, since we dont have a good way to get large quantities of water from point A to point B--you can put water in a big muck bucket lined with a big garbage bag tied shut to keep the water from sloshing out, but then you still have to get the water from as close as the truck will go to the trough (not very) into the trough. When its below freezing. And, if this needs done on a DH workday, after dark. With no lights in the barn.

We keep several big jerry cans full of water at the house since the well pump doesnt work when the power is off--we experience outages a couple of times a year, usually only an hour or two, but if there's a big ice storm it can be out for several days. I ended up toting the cans from the house to the car and then from the car to the trough--made a total of two trips to get the trough fullish and relatively ice-free.

And (drum roll, please)--essentially NO negative effects on the knee. My other knee, my hip that is working on a big fat bursitis, and my low back were not real happy, but the new knee was fine.

I thought of another small accomplishment I'm grateful for--something you dont appreciate until it becomes a challenge--I can wash the bottoms of both my feet (meaning I can once again get my left foot up to where I can rest it on my right knee) which means I can also check the bottoms of both feet for stuff I dont want to track into the house after all that messing about in the barn and the chicken yard!
 
Wow jeano, kicking butt essentially 8 weeks post op! I can only hope I'm that far along when I hit that mark. I am almost 3 weeks post op and I am at the point where I can lift my leg into car without using my hands to assist. I am not starting PT until next week though. Just giving myself a little more time due to the pain I had been having with my kneecap. I found out later after I read the surg. notes that Dr. Sisto did some extensive work to my knee beyond the PKR or maybe because of it. Anyway, sounds like you are doing great jeano keep it up!
 
@mcirish Dont know about the butt kicking--today I am trying to make up for three days in a row of not enough icing and resting--although I am not on the January schedule I am available to work and one of the nurses was out Mon and Tues so I covered her shifts--notoriously the most hectic of the week. Then yeasterday I took my ancient mother to town for groceries, pick up mail, gas up the car, library--unloaded her groceries, fed the horses, unloaded my groceries, put about half the stuff away and realized that I hadnt had any Tylenol for 8 hours and my knee was turning into wood--took my first (half) Lortab of the year with an arthritis strength Tylenol and sat down to ice after getting dinner started. I was one tuckered puppy. Knee isnt bad today but I want to pamper it so I can do some work on the ITband with the foam roller later.

Let's see--at 3 weeks I could get in the passenger side of the car left leg first, and when driving I could set the emergency brake (which is stiff as hell in our newer car) but I couldnt sit in a wheelchair for a trip around a grocery store without being laid up for a couple of days afterwards, and I couldnt sleep for more than about 5 hours. I was a couple of weeks away from riding and trimming horse feet. I certainly couldnt have tolerated working at my for pay job. Then again, I am no longer a spring chicken so perhaps comparisons arent valid.
 
@jeano
Forgetting to take your pain meds is never good, but it does show that you are feeling good, good enough to where you actually forget to take your meds!

I am handling going back to work, but please know I am not trying to wear it as a badge of courage. I would prefer to be doing the sane thing and lounging at home, resting, listening to my daughter chatter and doing a better job of recovering. I was more concerned about my progress until I thought about all the extra work that my OS had done (medial meniscus trimming, lateral release and patelloplasty). It was only until a few days ago that I realized that even if I hadn't had the knee replacement all the other procedures would have been enough too knock me down for several weeks.
 
Finally had a chance to read through your entire thread. Cant remember the last time I've laughed so hard that I cried. Not that any of it is the least bit funny, but because I can identify with so much of it, and because you seem to have a wonderful sense of humor...A quality that I believe is essential in these trying times, and for healing.
Keep up the good fight. God Bless.
 
Thank you, kind sir. Actually a lot of it was pretty funny at the time---sort of like a Buster Keaton movie with a good train wreck here and there.

So I am now creeping up on 11 weeks out from surgery. My scar has almost disappeared at a spot in the middle--but the ends are still dark and raised a little. I am down to at most 2000mg of Tylenol in 24 hours. I have gone a whole day without bothering to ice, and although I do put my leg up when sitting I am no longer truly elevating them. I still have the IT band tightness but since I got a whacking huge foam roller and do things to clobber the ITband the tightness is much improved. Still toting wood and water, able to use the elliptical for the duration of a half hour program or even longer with no problems and no next-day discomfort. Have no idea what my ROM is--a bit less than the other knee, but good enough and I'm sure continuing to improve. I get down on the floor to use the roller and praise God I can get up again without really having to think too hard about it. Life is good.
 
Hi Jean ... thought I would come to your place for a visit. I think that movie about the water toting, firewood splitting, horse hoof cleaning, grocery unloading, ancient mother toting, car gaser uperer and textbook perfect PKR recovery lady will be a grand one indeed. So happy you are doing so well, bless your little cotton socks.

Thanks so much for coming to my thread to reassure, advise and support. I really appreciate it.

Take Care Jean and hope you have an amazing week ahead. Ellen
 
Jean, I finally read your thread all the way thru. Wow! What a trip, especially with the Ice
Sherpa dealing with his problems too. You are heroic to me! Not only your recovery but dealing with all of those difficult chores, riding and working. At my best I couldn't have done those things. Your humor is wonderful and put a smile on this troubled face. Thank you!
 
@cjf1222 No hero, here, ma'am! Just an aging class clown with a new audience.

Probably my biggest motivator for joining the forum and telling my tale was the fact that I had read an AWFUL lot of gloom and doom threads where people's recoveries seemed to drag on and on and the pain and agony never ended--not to discount that experience--what you perceive IS your reality-- but more wanting to make sure people ANTICIPATING knee replacement realized that there COULD be a recovery without drama. (I still maintain the little bumps in my road were more comedic than tragic.)

Now that I am approaching 4 months out I have my leg back in the air due to some pain/swelling in my calf on the operated leg. Its a nuisance but not anything life threatening. I think. I suspect I've pulled a muscle and it needs some time and ice and rest etc to sort itself out. (That or a deep vein thrombosis and I'm fixing to punch the clock with a pulmonary embolism. Whatever.)
 
Great post Jeano!

I stumbled upon this site shortly after surgery while researching my sleep deprivation issue. I joined the forum and became hooked. I liked reading people's experiences and was especially interested in those that were close to my surgery date. This site has been absolutely awesome in that regard. Several of my friends are thinking about replacement surgery in the next year or so and I have already insisted that they visit this site.

I never really intended to post much of anything. I did solicit advice from readers about a business trip 6 weeks post-op and received tremendous advice!

After reading about a lot of struggles that readers were experiencing I too wanted to toss in my success story. I was concerned that others who were contemplating or were scheduled for surgery were only reading about the hardships. I have had my fair share of struggles (sleep, exhaustion, the blues, etc.) but for the most part my recovery has been great (knock on wood). I wish I would have had the surgery years ago. I also wish I would have found this site pre-op.

I want those who are in the early stages of recovery or about to undergo surgery or are thinking about surgery to know that a lot of recoveries go very well.

I am at exactly 9 weeks today. I have almost no pain whatsoever and my ROM on my operated leg is just a fraction behind my good leg. I am off meds completely and have recently started sleeping through the night for the first time since surgery. I can drive and work about 3/4 of a full day. I get a little tired around early evening but am working on my endurance. My swelling is almost gone and I can see my kneecap clearly. All in all I feel great! Can't wait to get outside and walk this Spring.

Best of luck to all of the forum's readers and God bless those who are struggling.
 
I agree with you... it can be a glass half empty scenario and you may as well laugh! :rolleyes:
As you and I approach the 4 month mark, I get to go back to work in 2 weeks. I sure could get used to staying home but I owe, I owe so it's back to work I go! I hope the garden center opens up early this year.... I love being in the garden center.... it is fun work.
I hope your leg settles down soon. Spring is coming!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom