TKR A PT concern

Teal23

Country
United States United States
I am 2.5 weeks after right knee replacement and having a lot of pain at night. I saw a video on YouTube yesterday. A gentleman says put lotion on your knee and wrap it on Saran Wrap before bed. Do you think this works? Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moved 10.jpg
@Teal23, from the January surgery list thread into a thread of your own in the knee replacement recovery forum where you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

Welcome to the forum, we're so pleased that you have joined us here. Below find links to articles from our Library that will enable you to have the best possible recovery:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

It's way too soon to put any lotion at all on your knee. I'm sure you still have some open sores. You certainly don't want to introduce any bacteria to your knee! Usually, the knee wrap is between one to two months when the incision is so sensitive. Right now, don't put anything on your knee except ice!

Can you please put your surgery dates in your signature? This information helps us if we need to advise you. Here's a thread that on how to create a signature. Give a shout if you need help!

I am 2.5 weeks after right knee replacement and having a lot of pain at night. A gentleman on Youtube says put lotion on your knee and wrap it on Saran Wrap before bed. Do you think this works?
Don't know about the lotion but I certainly used Gladwrap and moist heat for night pain in the later weeks of recovery. I don't think it would be suitable for now.

In my experience, this pain in the early stages is more likely to be due to poor pain management. I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Of course. I would appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need some advice, I can’t get into therapy for next week. I usually go twice a week. I am concerned
about it. Do you think I should be worried? The only times open were in the middle of the day and my husband can’t take off work. Hope I am posting on the correct forum. I had TKR on 1/24/18.

@Teal23
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Now, to answer your question... No, I do not think you should be concerned. Lots of people never do any PT at all and they recover perfectly well without it.

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you will have a quicker and less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

Take your meds by the scheduled hour- I liked setting my phone alarm for next dose and I had a squishy ice bag nearby at night. I am sleeping in the guest room at the moment so I can toss and turn

Thank you for the quick replies. I won’t worry about the 2 PT sessions. I have learned so much from Bonesmart and it made me realize what I am experiencing during my recovery is pretty normal. Makes me feel less alone.

Your knee is an infant and needs to be treated as such. It's only 1/12 of the way of a year-long healing! Follow our guidelines and you'll have a much quicker and less painful recovery. We know, we have all been through a knee replacement! You can't beat hands-on experience, and that's what we have!

@Teal23 I saw that YT video before and personally I wouldn't wrap my leg in saran wrap. I think it would sweat it out and keep the scar moist.

Once the scar/scabs were closed up, I would put a very thin coat of coco butter to help with the dryness. For the irritation I got when I slept, I would place a really soft towel over my knee at night. That seemed to help. Good Luck!

Missing a PT appointment is not a problem. Most of us miss an appointment here and there. You can do a few gentle exercises at home, walk a little, and do your necessary activities to get all the exercise your baby knee needs.

I don’t do PT at all, not even at home. I just live my life. I’m almost 5 weeks out and my dr is very pleased.

I have learned so much from Bonesmart and it made me realize what I am experiencing during my recovery is pretty normal. Makes me feel less alone.
:)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom