THR A not great first day home...

Like several,of the others, I’m wondering if your soreness may be due to the PT. My OS said I didn’t need PT after my THR although he did give me a script for it. I went a couple times and they didn’t push more or cause me any soreness. However, by then I had read here on the forum about all those going to OT and having problems plus all the administrators in here say we don’t need PT so I stopped going. I recovered just fine and have the same range of motion as anyone else so I, too, don’t think you need PT. Just walking each day is all you need. If you live where it is cold and snowy and not possible to go for a walk, you can just go to the store or to the mall and walk. If that isn’t possible, you can just walk around your house for a certain amount of time each day. You also need to be using ice on your incision area -lots of icing often every day all day long. I used the gel ice packs and they worked well. I keep the ice on almost all the time during the day those first couple of weeks and I elevated my leg to help any swelling. Those things all work well along with the pain medication your dr gave you.

3 months out and it will all feel very different. The IT band is a common issue on here so please be careful - especially if you are planning on lots of steps at some point. Slow but sure wins the race for now. Agree that massage at this stage may be too early. For me the glute squeezing helped me with getting up from chairs and alternate walking with the two crutches. If you can get elbow crutches rather than shoulder knee they are much better....

Thanks GrannyC and Surrey Girl! I am going to scale back PT exercise a bit to what is comfortable (eg, I will do the gentle spread eagle fall outs on my back which feels good and relaxing, but not the back bridges or standing leg lifts which hurt). I am icing with two good sized gel packs, one on the incision area and one on the hamstrings/IT band, several times a day. It is kind of hard to get a lot of walking done in my house, I go up and down the stairs a number of times a day, but I am determined to start bundling up and walking a bit outdoors (30 ° here now). And I have been on a cane since 5 or 6 days post op, was using a walker before that, no crutches ever.

I did find that the mini squats helped when getting off low loo seats etc as I got better and very glad I did the pre op exercises re this. Good idea to ask your physio direct questions and concentrate him/ her brain on a tailored programmed for you! Not the routine must work through the standard tick box stuff.

Check the Surgeons Protocol that is with your release paperwork. It should have all meds listed as well as ‘exercises’ that you can do. I did go to rehab. My OS was not happy, he was worried about infection. I was glad I did as I had a couple of issues that they could handle easily. Take advantage of Visiting nurses which should be covered as part of your surgery. The hospital social worker can set that up for you. The VN are ‘on the ground’ with wonderful information and gentle kindness & reassurance. I’m 3 1/2 mos out w my RTHR. Each hip is different. Lately I’m having IT issue that I can walk off. Sitting for over an hour is a good time to get up as it gets very painful to sit too long. I still reread the healing timeline & 90 degree issues posted here. It gives me an idea of what I may have overdone & how realistic I should be on stages of recovery. I found Bonesmart a year before my first surgery as I prepared to be in best health and condition for the most unbelievable surgery of my life. Best wishes! :ice:

wcgirl—I got a folder with 2 pieces of paper from the surgery center where I had my THR done—a Medical Reconciliation/Discharge Medication Orders, which just lists all the meds I was on prior to surgery and if I should continue or not (and they actually mistakenly told me on this form to restart the NSAID (Meloxicam) which I was taking prior to surgery, as I found out after restarting them for a couple of days), and Hip Discharge Order sheet with no mention of exercises I can do. It has little tick boxes about activity (weight bearing or not on crutches), diet, medications, wound care, and follow up instructions re: next visit and warnings about bleeding/fever/numbness, etc. No specific information information at all on exercises. My OS did order Post Op PT (modalities, I believe the script was worded), which started with 4 visits from a home health care person from the PT office. She looked at my incision, took bp readings when I was struggling the next day and it was she who set up my return to the hospital ER for fluids. She also got me started on my home exercise PT, which I am now continuing with the same PT provider at their facility. Feeling a bit better this morning, though, the feeling I have had that my upper thigh/hip feels like it is going to burst is better this morning. Any port in a storm!

I would call in sick to PT,Keep sitting and icing. As far as PT goes I would just walk. The cold isn't a problem as the best walking PT is done at the largest store you can find and use a shopping cart. Park at the furthest cart corral that has a cart. Get the cart and walk it to the store and all around the store. It's the best "walker" you can find and no one will bump into you, and you don't appear handicapped in any way. It also allows you to practice good heel/toe walking and move smoothly. Ten you can walk it all of the way out to your car. The other tip is to use the sanitizing wipes on the cart and your hands, early days you don't need germs.
Doing the PT movements in bed is all my OS released me to do and warned me not to go to any outside PT, his words were, they will hurt you!

Thanks Eman, I took your advice and actually just got back from pushing a cart around Target for a half hour or so, it is a really smart way (and warm one) to get some good, supported walking in safely. Though it could get expensive if I go everyday:wink:!

Hi KY Hipster... Has easing off the PT helped?
Re your comment on supermarket trolleys.. I had to push a trolley around an airport with around 50KG of stuff on it. Not fun on the carpeted bit!

“Modalities” are NOT the same as exercises. More like heat/cold/TENS/tissue work.

My first surgeon specifically didn’t want ppl going to PT for the first 6 weeks so that the bone would grow into the prosthesis first. He did mostly anteriors, though.

Also something that might be worth a shot, I just saw somebody this weekend who had a THR several years ago. He had a wicked knot in his thigh, and used KT tape on it. You might want to check YouTube to see if there are any videos about using it on the IT band.

Hi, :wave:
I hope you're doing well and had a good week.
Push the cart around the ladies and kids depts only @Target and you'll save money, lol. :wink:
Wishing you a good weekend as you continue on your healing journey.
@KY hipster

Thanks to all, I am actually doing much better, doing my exercises and PT comfortably and not past any pain point! Had a nice stroll around Kroger yesterday, now walking pretty comfortably without my cane (where did I leave that stupid thing?) but keeping it close by, taking 1000 mg Tylenol twice a day 1 hour before exercises, still icing 2-3 x a day, but really feel like I am turning the corner! I am very much motivated by an upcoming trip (as Surrey Girl knows!) to St. Lucia on the 18th, planned months before my THR. My physical therapist measures my range of motion every visit, in the last 3 visits it has gone from 82 ° to 87 ° and now this morning to 93 degrees! Thanks again for everyone’s advice and well wishes, this forum is a great and valuable resource!!

Oh brilliant. You are doing so well! Do pack some therma packs so you can ice over there if you need to. Lots of steps and slopes in St Lucia!

Duly noted, Surrey Girl, and will do! Thx again!

Sounds good! Are you ready for some more advice? I'll give it anyway. Now you're feeling good and seeing progress, you are approaching the confidence zone. This where you perceive that you are healed and attempt just a little more then you should. Unfortunately it usually ends badly with at the best a stalling of progress but usually with a setback which is followed by depression. Just a warning, take it slow.

Yes. Don't want you hitting the ODIC (Overdid It Club) ahead of such a wonderful trip!:no-fin:
Isn't it exciting to know you have a new stable hip to get through new life adventures!:yes!:

Agree with the above. If you pull a muscle now you could jeopardise those steps and have to spend all your time in your room - just think of the beach and the snorkelling!

I found that gentle swimming helped greatly beforehand especially as salt water was easier to swim in than pool water. The feeling of actually being able to kick my legs after many years of lazy legs due to bad hips was incredible.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevin from PA
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom