BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] A not great first day home...

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by KY hipster, Jan 10, 2019 at 7:24 PM.

1. KY hipster

KY hipster new member

United States United States
    First, I was just told about this site and forum, glad to have found it and joined! I might have just read and not posted had I not had a not so great go of it since my right anterior THR yesterday...
    Had it performed by a well respected and experienced surgeon at a surgery center, which they told me presents less MRSA/pneumonia/etc. risk. The first little inkling that something was amiss was when I kept feeling discomfort at the IV site in the crook of my arm. I was pretty wiped out and out of it when I got back from surgery, so apparently did not realize until early evening that they had actually sent me home with the IV port still in my vein and taped down to my arm! So a call to the answering service and they told me I could go to an ER to have it taken out or do it myself, so obviously did it with my wife at home...ok, kinda weird and a bit unsettling. I then spent a pretty uncomfortable and restless night, in pain, shaky for some reason and very dry feeling. This morning, I use my walker to get into the bathroom, start to feel really dizzy and lightheaded, and proceed to pass out, fortunately my wife was able to get me back into a chair and off the floor. I had a scheduled post op visit from a home health care nurse about an hour later, so she arrived and immediately saw my blood pressure was very low (it typically is low for me), and when I was sitting up or standing it would drop even further, systolic sometimes getting as low as the 70’s or 80’s. The nurse said this is no good, I need fluids to get my pressure up, so I end up in an ambulance back to a hospital this time for a saline IV bag and tests. The nurse asks me if they either got me up after surgery or gave me fluids at the surgery center, I didn’t really remember but my wife confirmed they did not, just put me in a wheelchair to the car and did not give me any fluids afterward, so needless to say the nurse wasn’t so enthused about this. So now I am home again after like 6 hours of going to, staying at and returning home from the hospital, my bp and vitals were stable and good and I feel much less lightheaded now, but obviously am not so happy about any of this...

Btw, I am an otherwise healthy, active and fit 56 year old man.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. I'm so very sorry for your unfortunate experience. I'm glad you're resting comfortably and feeling better. The IV situation is unbelievable! It sounds as though you're safer at home considering what you've been through. I hope you're pain is well managed. Stay well hydrated and ice your incision area if you're not already. It will help with pain and swelling. Stop back often. We're here to help in any way we can and to offer support and encouragement as you're healing.
    Please read the Recovery Guidelines below. The info in the articles will help with your recovery.
    Wishing you comfort and a peaceful night!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @KY hipster

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:27 PM
  3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @KY hipster - and :welome:

It sounds as if you got off to a rough start, but I'm glad things are going better now.

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. Debru4

Debru4 member

That's a rough way to start your recovery! Glad you are back home (for the 2nd time) and ready to start healing. I had my surgery done in a surgery center, and the experience was very positive. Does your surgeon do many surgeries at that particular center? Be sure to share your concerns with them when you have your follow up appointment.

I had a similar bad experience following a back surgery I had about 9 years ago, only my return to the ER was due to a bad reaction to medication. I came home from surgery at the surgery center feeling really good and within a few hours had a blinding headache and low blood pressure/dizziness. My bad experience took place at the ER. Even though I had had back surgery 11 hours earlier, they decided I needed to have a spinal tap to rule out meningitis. It was the worst medical experience of my life....my surgeon was incensed when he learned that they had not called him, and that they were holding me down, with multiple attempts to get the needle in. :gaah:He said had they called he would have suspected it was the medication, given my history.

With that said, all's well that ends well, and fortunately I suffered no negative effects from the ER experience, and had a very positive surgical outcome. I am sending good vibes to you, that the worst is behind you:)

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @KY hipster Welcome to the other side. So sorry you had a rough start. Low BP is very common after surgery. Frankly that's why I am not really in favour of early discharge. There are many issues that need to be addressed just post op and that takes time.

But you are home now and hopefully resting more comfortably. Do read the articles Layla left for you. Lots of good information about this recovery.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @KY hipster
    Oh my, what a worrying start. Hopefully things will now improve for you though.
    I too had low bp and felt light headed and nauseous but luckily I was still in hospital.

Now that you are home again you can start properly on your recovery journey. The first few days can be a bit trying so don't be surprised at that and also don't be surprised if you get a dose of,the blues now and again. It seems to come on for no apparent reason but is fairly common.
    Best wishes for a full recovery.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: and :welome: to the
    Healing side!
    First days can be rough...and frustrations in BP not uncommon.
    Best not to do too much solo venturing if you can for a few days until things settle.
    I'm guessing your wife was also frightened after that incident.:flabber:
    Things will level out so just roll with it for now.
    You Will be glad you had this done!
    Ice it up and hope today is a better day.:ice:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:21 AM
  8. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    KY, you got a bump(s) in the road early, I’m sure I’ll get mine in due time. You’re due now for some smooth sailin’...catch the wind!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Hip Hip Hooray!

Hip Hip Hooray! post-grad

@KY hipster, Geez, what a story. My doctor told me that the insurance companies are trying to rush people home from this surgery now. I don't think it's safe. I'm sorry to hear that you had those problems. I was happy to stay in the hospital a few nights in order to get the pain medication at the right strength, and to start healing. Thank God your wife was with you. That could have been very dangerous with you passing out. I'm glad your wife was there. I hope your pain is well managed now.

10. Debru4

Debru4 member

Good point @hip hip hooray--Both my back surgery 9 years ago, and my hip surgery in August went incredibly well, and I was released within 12 hours after both---I had met the check points for discharge and like everyone, I wanted to get home.

Both times I ended up with bad drug reactions after I got home. One time I returned to the ER that night. Had they kept me a bit longer, I think the drug issues would have surfaced when I was under medical care, and not at home.

No one forced me to go home early---I wanted to. However, no one suggested I stay longer either. If the protocol was to keep you at least 24 hours, I think many of our early recovery woes with medicine or other issues would be identified by medical professionals.

If I have a future surgery, I plan to override my desire to get home ASAP, and make certain that whatever pain meds I am on, are ones I can tolerate, and maintain on my own at home. (Insurance approval being key, of course, and that is a big issue I understand.)

• Like Like x 1