Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

Revision THR A new year and new hope: revision for loosened THR

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
That is great news! What progress and will be an inspiration to others facing the same thing, some day.
I especially liked hearing about your trainer showing exercises that use your body weight.
It all sounds good. Congratulations on your recovery!!

Hippielife

Country
Your pic of your garden is beautiful and so happy to see you back in the garden. Nothing more powerful after revision than reclaiming your life. Happy news and happy Gardner.:flwrysmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
So great to see your shining update @prairienut :happydance:
Such a rocky road you have travelled at times and I'm convinced your positive attitude and your surgeons skill have you in a great place now.
Isn't it great to not have that hip dictating our happiness?
Hope your holidays are sweeet!!!!

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hello @prairienut

Found your story on the pre opp side, with a response to a question. So grateful to find your story has a happy ending. I am scheduled for a loose stem revision next Thursday.

Found it interesting that you have long legs too. My inseam is 34” at 5’8”. My original THR was 9 months ago and has never been right. Really hoping stem comes out as easily as yours did. Thrilled you are back to an active healthy life.

Love to read an update at your one year mark if you have time. Best wishes to you in 2020!

OP
OP
prairienut

prairienut

senior
Country
I just had my one-year follow-up appointment with Dr. Waddell last Wednesday, a few weeks early to catch him before he moves to Atlanta. Routine check-up as I am experiencing no pain with the revised hip. I first met with his PA Nicole who is very knowledgeable and helpful. In fact, she answered all my questions before Dr. Waddell arrived. A few questions I asked a second time to get the surgeon's viewpoint. A key question was to ask for a list of stupid things I might do that could mess up my nice new revised hip. I was advised to avoid high-impact long-distance running (no problem) and to not break more than one precaution at a time (e.g. bend past 90 degrees but don't twist at the same time). I asked a curiosity question about how much the new stem bonds to the femur in the area where the old stem was. I know the new stem is much longer than the old one and should certainly bond to the freshly reamed-out bone (it better!), but can it bond to the old section, too, or is that just a press fit? The answer is yes, there should be bone ingrowth in both the new and old areas. The new stem is larger in diameter, so the surgeon has the leeway to ream out and "bloody up" the bone in the old area to stimulate a new bonding process. Dr. Waddell is sticking to his story that the most likely cause for the loosening is "bad luck," and still coming in second place is a stem that was too small. He also thought my very mild end-of-stem ache that I get now and then will eventually disappear. He pointed out that the most common reasons for stem loosening are infection and metallosis. Aseptic loosening is less frequent. Nicole showed me on my pre-surgery x-ray, the "dreaded black line" that represented a gap between the stem and the bone. Also, there was remodeling (thickening) of the femur bone at the end of the wobbly stem where the femur was trying to adapt to the stresses of a loosened and toggling prosthesis. These are the signs that were missed a year or more before I finally had the revision.

I asked a final set of questions about my original ceramic-on-metal hip. Was this combo used any more? (It is not.) Did the theory pan out that it would shed only 10% of the metal ions shed by a metal-on-metal hip? (No, it did not.) What is the trade-off between using a ceramic-on-ceramic hip vs. a ceramic-on-plastic? Does the all ceramic hip wear better? (He thought there was now no reason not to use ceramic-on-plastic due to the great improvements in the durability of the plastic bearing surface. Ceramic acetabular cup liners carry some risk of breakage albeit small.)

So that is my rambling report at one year out. I continue my gym sessions and am feeling generally great. I hope my experience can help others who are facing revisions. There is indeed life after revision. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on Bonesmart!
:snow: :snow plough:

Last edited:

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@prairienut, I really enjoyed your report. And you asked fantastic questions, and got great answers from what I can tell. Great to hear the detailed questions you posed about revision and materials and all ... to a top surgeon at a teaching hospital that requires surgeons to be up on research.

Glad you caught Dr. Waddell before he departed for Atlanta. Glad you are doing well ... interesting to hear the restrictions ... seriously, loved those questions!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
What a good summary of your visit to see your OS one more time.
Your information will be helpful for others in the future. Which wasn't presented as rambling by any means. Just some very good questions with very good and detailed answers.

Congratulations for having such a good check up, too!
Happy holidays!!

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Happy to read how well your visit went @prairienut Your level of detail and questions are incredibly helpful. It is also so encouraging to read that as you say, “There is indeed life after a revision.”

Thank you so much for sharing your success. :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
You are indeed an inspiration and your contributions to the forum are so appreciated.
:thankyou:

I do hope that you have a very happy holiday season and 2020 is a Great Year for you.:wreath::carols::wreath:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Echoing what the others have said, that was an awesome update and you had really great questions. I do think they will bring comfort to others that may walk that same path later on. Really appreciate you sharing with us.
:snow::banana-santa:

OP
OP
prairienut

prairienut

senior
Country
Hello Bonesmarties in the Year of Covid-19! I am hunkered down here in upstate New York, a few hours from Ground Zero of the pandemic. Our county is moderately affected but nearly all people here are dutifully following the suggested precautions and distancing, and hoping the situation improves quickly. Just last week, several NY counties opened up for elective surgeries again which includes hip replacements of course. As long as a hospital has 30% reserve capacity, it is allowed to start scheduling elective surgeries again. This is good news. My poor neighbor has been waiting for a shoulder replacement and is in a lot of pain. I'm sure she considers it essential surgery and not elective!

Today is my 16-month revisi-versary. I am happy to report that everything is going well with my revised hip. I almost have to remind myself which side was worked on. Generally no aches or pains. End-of-stem pain has nearly disappeared. When it does happen it is intermittent and very mild. I have no follow-ups scheduled with the OS. With the shut-down in effect, I cannot go to the gym, so I have cobbled together an exercise routine here at home. I walk our two dogs separately on leash for a total of about 2 brisk miles per day, walking up and down a hilly and woodsy loop behind our house. In the evening I do body-weight exercises for balance and core strength. I look forward to getting back to the sweaty, noisy, friendly gym, but I expect it will be a long time before that happens considering I am in the "older" more vulnerable age group. At home, there is the distinct advantage of the dogs supervising and correcting me if my form starts to slip. They are especially fascinated by the "Plank". ("Why is Mom on the floor and frozen in place?")

I hope everyone is staying healthy through these highly unusual times. It is obvious we are living through a major historical event! Happy Spring to all of you! Time to get out into your gardens and weed, weed, weed.

Below is a picture of "The Promenade" portion of our woods trail. The second picture is the Catskill Mountain view at the far end of the loop. Extreme social distancing is easy here! The view is a my incentive to get out there every day.

Attachments

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:@prairienut
So glad to know you are safe and well.

Today is my 16-month revisi-versary. I am happy to report that everything is going well with my revised hip. I almost have to remind myself which side was worked on
Love that word! revisiversary.:) :-) (:
And so so nice to hear things are going well.
I'm envisioning your furry friends sniffing you as you plank:dogsniff:

Stunning photos....better looking than noisy, sweaty gyms, in my opinion.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, Happy Sixteen Month Anniversary!
Thanks for stopping by to update. Glad to hear you’re safe and well being so close to our country’s epi-center of COVID. Hopefully it won’t be too long until you’re able to get back to the gym, but it looks as though you’ve found a nice alternative with your daily walks through the woods with your fur buddies. Enjoy! :dogwalk:
All the best to you!
@prairienut

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hey hey! Great update and photos! Our world certainly got turned upside down, didn't it?
Glad to hear how well you are doing. :loveshwr:

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Super news and the 2 mile walk on hilly ground is v good! Glad it is going well.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for the update, Prairienut. Yes, I too miss my "sweaty, noisy, friendly" gym. Glad to hear you've moved to plan B, as have I. That photo on the left--OMG, walking that path can only be soothing to the soul. Beautiful.

OP
OP
prairienut

prairienut

senior
Country
And here it is already, my year-and-a-half revisi-versary today. The first covid-19 wave has passed here in NY state but still lots of precautions being taken, most everyone wearing masks still. We do not want another awful peak like we just suffered through. I have thrown myself into my many gardens -- front, back, along stone wall, birdbath area, veggie, etc. Extreme gardening I would call it. My revised hip has performed magnificently. I have had some foot problems including peroneal tenodonitis which usually is reported by professional dancers and long-distance runners, and I am neither. Maybe my gardening is too extreme? After a few weeks, it is better, and I am back to digging, pulling, and hauling but not using that foot to push the shovel. The hip, though, the hip is just fine. I continue to be grateful for such a successful revision which is sooo much more comfortable than the original THR. Once again, I think the Bonesmart forum for being here when I most needed it. Always remember, there is life after revision and Revisions Rock!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: What a wonderful update! Thanks for stopping by. It’s nice to read how well things are going for you. I hope you have a great gardening season. Be safe and stay well in all of this craziness.
Happy 4th to you!
@prairienut

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Musicbird