Bilateral PKR A hiker's new knees

I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you were hoping to walk up and down stairs in a normal fashion by March 15; I didn't realize you meant without your husband spotting you. If I take my time, I can walk up a few stairs foot over foot, no weight-bearing on the handrail. There's no way I have the strength and flexibility to go down the same way, but I do fine one at a time, sideways, holding on to the handrail. I hope you meet your goal.

My goal is to ride my bicycle this summer. The physical therapist was iffy about my chances, but the surgeon thought it was a reasonable goal. We'll see!
 
My goal is to ride my bicycle this summer. The physical therapist was iffy about my chances, but the surgeon thought it was a reasonable goal. We'll see!

@bikinglynn I am finding that too - big difference between my surgeon and PT reality. Doc said I probably could be driving next week. Yeah...not on your life. Lol. I am progressing but not enough to trust my legs to traffic in STL. :yikes: Lol!
 
Day 16 Beginning of Week 3:
I graduated to walking around the house with a cane today. Woohoo! that feels great to celebrate that win. It’s amazing how much more freedom I feel by just using the cane. I am working on my gait still and concentrating on some normalcy. My right hip had begun to spasm and ache, so I am paying more attention to how I sit, ly, stand and walk and how I hold my hips.

I was able to do a few short chores around the house, but am still keeping activity light. I was able to unload the dishwasher and fix my own lunch today. I count the 20 times of letting the pooches outside as official PT, lol! My biggest concern is building strength to stand from a seated position. For example: I know that currently I would not be able to get up off the toilet without the toilet rail/grab bar. I worry that I will have problems if I go anywhere and gave to use the restroom without it. Right now I find it painful to pull myself to a standing position, rather than lift with my arms like with the toilet rail.

Its a lot more comfortable to just sit or lay down in my recliner too. And I am finding the I can move my legs and knees more freely to adjust when getting comfortable. The left knee is finally less sore and I am able to lift it (only slightly) from the sitting position. My right knee continues to be very strong and I am thankful that ai have it to act as my “good” leg.

Incisions are looking better every day and was really able to start cleaning up the tape residue. The skin on either side of the incision seems raised and I am hoping that will fall or lie flat with time. Not sure if everyone had something similar at this stage as well?

Skin around the incision also still continues to be sensitive. I am assuming from the nerve damage and what internal repair is being done by my body. Sometimes a sheet on top is even too much and at times if fabric is touching, I have the sensation of my skin being hot. I also continue to have the spasms/zingers that come hard, fast and out of the blue. They are short lived and not very often, but are terribly painful.

I am stepping down my pain meds to a lower dose tomorrow as well. Most of the time my pain level is a 4 or below. I currently take something every 6 hours, so I find that 5th hour is when my pain level increases, especially if I have done too much.
 
That' is wonderful that you are getting around with only a cane now after getting both knees done. What are you using to clean off the tape residue? My incision has slowly flattened out (it was raised on either side of the incision also) and I plan to clean up the tape as soon as the rest of the scabs fall off.
 
That' is wonderful that you are getting around with only a cane now after getting both knees done. What are you using to clean off the tape residue? My incision has slowly flattened out (it was raised on either side of the incision also) and I plan to clean up the tape as soon as the rest of the scabs fall off.
@partialfixFeb - I have mainly just used soap and water with gentle massage in the shower to remove what I can. It really was all over and even what seemed to be in my incision. The doc didn’t seem surprised. Taking care to not compromise the incision, I am also using a PT massage lotion around the knee. This lotion has been helpful in removing some as well. In addition, I have started a regimen of self massage using this lotion. It has been so helpful in bringing blood flow and freeing up stiffness, especially in the morning or after any sleep.
 
Skin around the incision also still continues to be sensitive. I am assuming from the nerve damage and what internal repair is being done by my body. Sometimes a sheet on top is even too much and at times if fabric
I had this same issue and it was unbearable. I ended up propping up pillows on the outside of thighs. When I pulled the bed covers up and over the pillows they were suspended and didn't touch my legs. It wasn't entirely comfortable but it gave me some temporary relief. I hope you can find some relief soon.
 
My physical therapist put silicone strips on my incisions to help them flatten. They really help. The strips keep the tissues soft and hydrated, so hard, raised scars don't form. I wear them all the time.
 
My PT tried some strips over mine too but it did not help. I've always scarred dark and badly. I'll just have to wear my 'battle' scars proudly...:egypdance:!

But this 12th week the incision is finally flattening and hurting less.
Praise God for that!
 
I chose to do a lift recliner. I purchased from Amazon and I am so glad I did
Were you nervous about ordering this from Amazon, without trying it out first?
@Jockette - I really trust the reviews on Amazon and I did weeks worth of research to find one I thought would work. I did check out local resources, but their prices were crazy for what I needed and for how long I would use it.
 
I agree about the prices. I’m considering one for my husband and our local furniture store has them from $700-$1500!! And I’m sure it would take weeks to get it.
 
@Jockette - I really like the one I purchased, however, it is not very big. I am 5’ 6” and my feet just hit the end of the footrest with the recliner extended. I am about 175 lbs and the seat fits just right. I think it only cost me $490 on Amazon and it was delivered in a matter of a few days.
 
Last edited:
Day 18 week 3: I am so impatient. I just want to be normal again. I miss sleeping in my nice comfy bed, but even tried just sitting up there to watch a show in bed and was in so much pain and discomfort. I am a side sleeper so I really want to move back to the bed when I can do that. And being the old lady I am (lol), I have to visit the bathroom a hundred times a night. I will just end up waking my hubby every time as it is a struggle to get into our tall bed, let alone get comfortable.

Some days seem to go well and others I struggle. I planned everything to the nth degree, but the one thing I didn’t think of was how lonely I would be. I have got a few things out of my craft room to try over the next week and a few books on Audibles as well. I hope that will help.

I had not been sleeping well at all the last 18 days, maybe 3-4 hours a night but very interrupted. Maybe another 2 to 3 hours during the day, if I was lucky. Well...that all caught up to me this last weekend. Plus not eating much, I was a mess. So I changed my game. Last night I took a benedryl at bedtime. I slept 11 hours. Not straight, but several hours at a time. I slept another 5 hours during the day. Still very groggy. I also started eating better and I have already noticed an energy level change. I am eating even when I am not hungry, as I think I was letting no hunger and nausea deprive me of very needed calories.

I start outpatient PT tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting out of the house. I am worried and want to work on standing from a seated position. I am still using so much of my aids and arms and not working on the muscles in my legs. I will be returning to work soon and cannot until I get this mastered. I feel pretty good about the stairs as I was able to do those this weekend with my husband. I still am using the crutch on the stairs and a cane around the house. I will try not using the cane in the house by this next weekend. I am feel more and more steady on my feet every day.
 
Hit 7 weeks post op today, and had very similar experiences as you describe. Sleep still continues to be an ongoing issue, but I can’t nap, which compounds the problem. Don’t rush the issue with canes and crutches , it will all work itself out. Best of luck in PT, and don’t let them push you any further then you are comfortable with..Time is our friend!
 
It will be 8 weeks tomorrow for me. Sleep is something I wish for. Usually I get 3 hours at a time. Once I wake up, I struggle to get comfortable and back to sleep. I catch another couple of hours or so in spurts. It would help my attitude to have a good night's sleep.

For 3 weeks, it sounds like you are doing fine getting around. It takes a while to get the strength to sit and stand without your hands. Don't worry about getting rid of your cane. You will when you feel steady on your feet.
 
6 weeks for me. Those early weeks were so tough. Not sleeping and couldn’t get comfortable. I used protein drinks to make sure I had enough protein since I am a vegetarian and was worried about that. Lots and lots of pillows. No aggressive PT.
Be prepared for many ups and downs: some bad days may come when least expected but slow recovery does also!
 
I'd be using that crutch, cane, walker or whatever as long as I needed too! Don't rush getting rid of these items just because a certain time frame has passed- do what feels comfortable to you- don't jeopardize your safety. For several weeks after my surgery I had to get up to go to the bathroom every 3 hours- my bladder was on strike. Had to set the alarm so hubby could help me get up and go the first few weeks. I was pretty helpless.
 
Thank you everyone. It is so comforting to have this forum. I had a great PT session today. She was able to massage and manipulate my knee cap for movement. Oh my goodness...it felt so great. It freed up some other movement for me too. She was also able to work with me to engage my quad muscles. I was finally able to get my left quad to listen to my brain. Lol! It is now moving which will really help with my strength in that leg. I really like her so far. She is gentle and taking it at my pace. A bit sore tonight but not too bad.

I was able to make it up the stairs on my own without using a crutch. Still not leg over leg, but was able to use my own right leg strength to manage it. It felt so great. My husband was astounded! Lol. He did make me promise to hold off on traversing the stairs when he isn’t home just yet though. So sweet. Trust me, this whole “care giver” hubby is new for him, even though we have been married for 30 years. It’s great to have him caring in this way.
 
Last edited:
@Jewiz1 I have caramel and vanilla protein drinks in little boxes from Costco. Also amazon has a lot of protein drinks. Tolerable taste when refrigerated. I also buy whey powder you can get anywhere. Blend in blender with banana, frozen blueberries, yogurt, soy or almond milk...I also add flax and chia and almonds. I have that every morning and love it! For extra flavor I add Torani sugar free syrup in a berry flavor. Yum: But sometimes I have no energy or appetite so I do make sure I have the protein drink.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom