Revision TKR _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??

@RestAssured and @skigirl may be able to help answer your question. They should be around after the holiday.
Glad to hear you are doing well, and active, except for the post activity discomfort.
 
@RestAssured and @skigirl may be able to help answer your question. They should be around after the holiday.
Glad to hear you are doing well, and active, except for the post activity discomfort.
Thanks I have contacted skigirl. Looks like your just going on a year with your revision. Hope all is well. Are you experiencing the burning and stiffness after standing or activeness?
 
My revision is out of alignment, and is problematic. It will sort it self out eventually.
 
@LaPaz

Hello! Well let's see, I am 5 years out w left and 2 3/4 with right revision. I am doing yoga, Piloxing, (boxing/Pilates), lifting weights, swimming, walking long distances, rock climbing,, doing a core class, total toning, and throwing Zumba and training w Abby in for fun!:rotfl:

Anyway, I started going to an orthopedic massage therapist at my gym. She just started and she is already making a huge difference in my knee! My foot was pointing out, found out I had scar tissue across the knee cap. She has worked it loose and I feel like a new person!

So much so, that when they did a lunge in yoga so did I! I went all the way down and my knee was sore the next day but it is great again! I love life again!:happydance:
 
@LaPaz

Hello! Well let's see, I am 5 years out w left and 2 3/4 with right revision. I am doing yoga, Piloxing, (boxing/Pilates), lifting weights, swimming, walking long distances, rock climbing,, doing a core class, total toning, and throwing Zumba and training w Abby in for fun!:rotfl:
You have came a long ways. I didn't realize how long it has been for you. Funny we both have 5 years on the left and revision on the right. You definitely are active but since you didn't mention burning on the knee I assume that is not a problem.

Anyway, I started going to an orthopedic massage therapist at my gym.
So glad to hear this has worked for you. I may try a massage therapist and see if that helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:shrug:I just had an interesting trauma occur. I had extreme pain and swelling in my calf and was put in the hospital for 6 days for Thrombosis DVT here in Mexico. I went to the USA the day after they released me then went and had an ultra sound done at the emergency room which found no sign of blood clots DVT, just a hematoma. I saw a doctor after that who was a little puzzled and was not sure what to say so I went for another ultra sound (a week later) which found no blood clots but a large Bakers cyst extending down into the calf muscle. This doctor felt it was definitely misdiagnosed and was due to leakage of the Bakers cyst.

About two weeks before my trauma my left knee (TKR 5 years ago) was very stiff and when riding my bike the knee caught and popped several times as I tried to peddle. It was extremely painful and I could not ride my bike. I iced elevated and rested that day and took it easy for the next few days until the pain went away. Then I started back my routine of going to the gym and dancing class. I did back down at the gym as I thought that my workout there may have been the problem with my knee popping. For the next few weeks my knee was up and down with inflammation and mild pain. The day before going to the hospital I noticed my calf was larger than my other calf and just thought it may be due to the muscle developing quicker than the other leg due to my other leg still recovering from a TK revision. I actually felt better after working out in the gym but the next day my calf was extremely sore and the swelling increased. I measured 1 inch larger than my other calf. So I iced elevated which did no relief and then went to the Emergency Room. They did an ultra sound and said I had multiple blood clots in the calf never did they investigate behind the knee.

I have returned to Mexico now and my plan is to rest, wait and see if I can get back into my routine but with no gym for awhile. I still can’t walk normal but I am improving. I plan to see my orthopedic surgeon the end of May and hope there are no problems I will need to deal with. The last doctor seemed to think that I may need a revision to that knee. I am hoping it is just the fact I overdid my work out in the gym pushing too much weigh and just rest is what I need. The doctor also recommended an MRI for more investigation to damage with the knee.

Two years ago I had to have the gutters cleaned because this knee was catching and hurt to bend and straighten from build up of scarring. #arthrofibrosis This may be all I need ,but I’m really not mentally ready to go back for a revision after all I have been through.:what:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Nancy, I just read up on your thread and geeze how scary for you. From feeling great and loving life in November to going multiple trips to emergency room and hospitalization. I am so sorry to read what you have been through. I know you hate the thought of another surgery, so did I, as I just had my 5th on the same knee, but if you have scar tissue that is limiting you, or causing other problems within your knee you may have to consider it. I'm extremely happy that I went ahead With mine again. Hopefully some good rest will do you good.

Take care :loveshwr:
 
Glad you are OK with all the time in the hospital. Hope your visit with your OS in May goes well, and you do not need any more surgeries.
 
Omg--how scary and how frustrating that they missed the diagnosis---does not inspire trust!! Good thing you checked---maybe a different hospital next time there is a problem?

I apparently have a problem with the kneecap on my right knee---I saw a pt who told me that the polyethelene liner was worn down. I am depressed, but am great at denial, so that is my working modus operendus until May 27 when I see the OS.
 
I survived the Baker's Cyst and it did go down after about 6 weeks or so of resting and light exercise.

I finally visited my OS for my two year check up on my revision to the right knee and to check out the problem I was having with the left knee. He had an X Ray done with bent knees pointing under the knee cap. He told me I had bad bone spurs on the left knee cap and some on the right, too. The bone spurs on the left seem to catch the soft tissue when the knee is stiff or inflamed and may have caused the catching of my knee when riding my bike that caused the Baker's Cyst problem. He told me that surgery is the only solution so when it gets bad I will need to go back in.

Has anyone had a problem with bone spurs?
 
So sorry to hear that you may need another surgery. I'm going to tag @Josephine so that she can comment on the bone spurs.
 
Almost everybody, Nancy! It's an almost inevitable part of arthritis. Here's mine from my first knee - never bothered to look for them in the second!

[Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??
[Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??
 
Did they cause you problems? Did you need surgery to remove them?
 
My doctor wants me to get another radio graph as I am experience pain just below the knee in my tibia. He said I may need another revision. I did not ask if it would be just a tibia revision. Well this is the knee that has had 2 other revisions but not the tibia. Has anyone had just a tibia revision? Is it possible? I am experiencing pain below the knee in my tibia when I am active and flex the knee as far as I can.

I have also experience cramps in my neck and read on the internet about calcium deficiency. So I increase my diet for calcium and took a supplement which did cause the neck cramping to go away. I am now curious if my lacking calcium has any thing to do with my problem with the tibia or visa versa?
 
It seems likely that a calcium deficiency might cause neck cramps---but is the pain in the tibia bone pain??? Also, did they replace the femoral component?? Maybe the tibia needs to match??

I will tag @Josephine who will be better for some of these questions. But, I will also add that I don't think people have surgery for bone spurs unless they are really nothing you. I would be leary of that surgery since my surgeon told me that they often just grow back in the same place.
 
It seems likely that a calcium deficiency might cause neck cramps---but is the pain in the tibia bone pain??? Also, did they replace the femoral component?? Maybe the tibia needs to match??

I will tag @Josephine who will be better for some of these questions. But, I will also add that I don't think people have surgery for bone spurs unless they are really nothing you. I would be leary of that surgery since my surgeon told me that they often just grow back in the same place.

Kelly, My pain seems to be in the tibia just below my knee. Sometimes the pain radiates down my tibia Maybe the calcium deficiency has to do with my knee problem. My last revision was done with a femoral component that would match the tibia insert. I think about that doctor in India a lot and all the problems he has caused me.
 
Yes, I had a TKR!

Highly unlikely to do that as in order to get to the tibial component, they need to removed the femoral one!

Now that is scary as I just had the 2nd revision 2 years ago for just the femoral component with a 11 cm stem. So if all that has to come out I wonder what they will have to put in. Well for now I just need to get a radiograph done.
 
Hi. I'm new again to the forum and just reading your story. You have really put up with a lot. I do hope you get answers soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom