Revision TKR _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??

If they need to remove my patella you say it will shorten my Quads. Does that mean I will not be able to regain my present ROM? How about the tension band will it affect my ROM? I can ride a bike but if I loose ROM I would no longer be able to ride my bike.
I've had both kneecaps removed, one in '91 and one in '93. I had a rtkr on 6/2/16. My ROM is fine. I've been riding my bike all my life, even after my patellectories. In Oct. 2017, I rode my bike 34 miles in 2 days, so yes!, you can do all that if you have your kneecap removed.
 
I've had both kneecaps removed, one in '91 and one in '93. I had a rtkr on 6/2/16. My ROM is fine. I've been riding my bike all my life, even after my patellectories. In Oct. 2017, I rode my bike 34 miles in 2 days, so yes!, you can do all that if you have your kneecap removed.

Thanks so much for this information as it helps me with a decision I may have to make. I see your knee caps were removed prior to your knee replacement. Happy to hear your success with ROM and riding your bike.
 
And just think, if you don't have a kneecap, you don't have to worry about any kneecap pain anymore!
 

You maybe right I just don’t want to sacrifice more ROM. I’m about 120 now. Does not having knee caps make your knees look strange? Can you put pressure on your knees like crawling? Thanks
 
I can kneel, but was told not to, and it feels really uncomfortable, so I don't do it. I really don't understand what you mean about crawling. I don't think my knees look funny. The doctors that don't know I don't have kneecaps have to actually feel my knees. Otherwise, they don't believe me.
 
I can kneel, but was told not to, and it feels really uncomfortable, so I don't do it. I really don't understand what you mean about crawling. I don't think my knees look funny. The doctors that don't know I don't have kneecaps have to actually feel my knees. Otherwise, they don't believe me.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your answers are helpful.
 
My visit to the Mayo Clinic was not successful. They were very thorough as I had 4 days testing. The doctor suspected alignment to be the problem but the test couldn’t get the readings they needed as I had some bone loss and calcification. I had no sign of loosening or infection which was good. They prescribed diclofecnac sodium gel which has helped to lessen the pain and discomfort but I still need to continue with my other interventions. Ice, elevate, wearing a compression sleeve and sometimes still taking anti inflammatories. I’m seeing my pain management doctor in a few weeks and hope he may have a few more ideas.
 
Of course this was disappointing and depressing. did they tell you to come back in a year? Of course, that is even more expense and travel hassle!!
 
Sorry to hear they were unable to identify the source of your challenges. Hope your pain management Dr has some some more ideas.
 
Gee Nancy, I do know what it's like searching for answers. I did that, absorbing countless research abstracts over 8 years and seeing too many doctors. I just had revision with a big league surgeon and my recovery is a black and white difference from the original. I feel so lucky. There needs to be an orthopedic specialty that's just diagnosing on-going problems.
 
Of course this was disappointing and depressing. did they tell you to come back in a year? Of course, that is even more expense and travel hassle!!
He said to check back in 6 months which would be around May. At least your weather should be better.
 
Gee Nancy, I do know what it's like searching for answers. I did that, absorbing countless research abstracts over 8 years and seeing too many doctors. I just had revision with a big league surgeon and my recovery is a black and white difference from the original. I feel so lucky. There needs to be an orthopedic specialty that's just diagnosing on-going problems.
Mary who is your surgeon? Where is he?
 
I see you have “nerve burning” in your title, did you have that done?
 
I see you have “nerve burning” in your title, did you have that done?
Yes, I had it done about two years ago to both my right knee and my neck. My neck has started to give me problems again so I need it done again. For my knee it didn’t stop the pain but it did stop my jumpy leg.
 
I’m glad you got some benefit. My husband recently had it done on his lower back and it didn’t help at all.
 
I’m glad you got some benefit. My husband recently had it done on his lower back and it didn’t help at all.
I didn’t get immediate results but about a few weeks after is when I started to have results.
 
I had the nerve burning in the 90s after my first knee cap removal. It was a disaster! It left my whole thigh burn. I couldn't stand to have anything touch it. It didn't help my knee but just a little bit. The burning started settling down after about a month. That's when the knee pain came back, too. No more nerve burning for me!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom