Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??

Nancy,
Hope your surgery went well today, take time to heal, and follow the Bonesmart Mantra.
Let us know how you are doing when you can,:SUNsmile:
 
Wishing you everything wonderful and healing today! :SUNsmile:
Let us know how you are doing when you have a chance.
 
One week after my surgery. I feel like I was hit by a truck and have not had a good day as of yet. The first 4 days was a combination of nausea, vomiting, headache and knee pain. I woke up on the CPM machine set at -1 to 90 degrees. That only lasted until day 2 when my knee got stiffer I went to 80 degrees than by day 4 70 degrees. I still have those nausea moments but no more vomiting. Still some headaches but not constant and the knee pain is kind of under control but never comfortable. I have not been able to lift my heal up as of yet but can slide it. I am beginning to sore easier from the CPM so I am one it less then I would like. I had the assisting nurse take photos of my new implant going in which I will soon post. Hoping week two to be better but now that truck keeps hitting me.

I am giving myself daily blood thinner injections and have been getting some side effects that I just wrote my doctor about. Numbness in my calf with calf and ankle pain also shortness of breath. I noticed my hospital take home order and my prescription order for admin. is different. I am following the hospital order which is twice a day shots and the prescription say once a day shot there is also a doseage difference.

Boy this Revision turned out a lot more difficult than I planned.
 
Oh Nancy I am so sorry!

Calf and ankle pain with shortness of breath? Did you report these symptoms to your doctor? I wouldn't take the chance of it being a DVT! I would make sure they knew what was going on in full detail!

I will tag Jo and see what she thinks!

Josephine
 
Nancy,
Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I agree with Sonja you need to contact your OS or GP about your calf pain, and shortness of breath. ASAP!
Keep us posted when you have the chance,
 
Yes, that is exactly what I did overdosed with blood thinner. I will now wait about 48 hours to give only one injection a day. Not feeling well just staying in bed and getting up only for the bathroom. A little scary and real painful. I hope week 2 is better.
 
Nancy, I pray that week two will be much better for you! Having gone down the revision path myself, I can understand your frustrations! Take care and keep posting! We care about you! :console2:
 
Yes, that is exactly what I did overdosed with blood thinner. A little scary and real painful. I hope week 2 is better.

Goodness gracious!!
I had to give myself those shots once a day and was bruised all over my stomach, soooo not fun. Can't imagine what two shots a day would do, no wonder you aren't feeling well. Glad you called the dr.

I am holding onto good thoughts and rooting for you, LaPaz. It is a tough road for you and you have been a trooper about it.

How is the left knee doing after the arthroscopic surgery a few weeks ago. Is it able to help with getting your around as your right TKR heals?

And if you need to stay close to the bed healing, it's what you need to do. Just take it easy, relax, elevate, ice and heal! :yes:
 
Nancy,
Glad you found out what was going on and have been able to adjust your medication.
Your healing can begin, be sure to follow the Bonesmart Mantra: Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule.
 
Goodness gracious!!
I had to give myself those shots once a day and was bruised all over my stomach, soooo not fun. Can't imagine what two shots a day would do, no wonder you aren't feeling well. Glad you called the dr.

How is the left knee doing after the arthroscopic surgery a few weeks ago. Is it able to help with getting your around as your right TKR heals?

I hate to get shots so giving them is not been easy. Only 3 more days of shots left.

My left knee I have not noticed much so it is not getting much attention right now. It is able to carry my weight and bend fine. I will address it more as the right progresses. I see my OS on Monday to remove the staples and ask him many questions. My OS is a 3 hour drive one way so I am not looking forward to it.
 
For those of you interested in what my revision knee looks like I am attaching a few photos. There are a few wedges that I am not sure how they were put in. I plan to show the photo to my OS Monday and find out how the puzzle goes together. With a stem like that no wonder my knee has so much pain this time around. The spacer is even strange looking. The nurse took the photos for me.
[Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??
[Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning??
[Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning?? [Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning?? [Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning?? [Bonesmart.org] _My Saga of a Hopeful Happy Ending - Nerve Burning?? Legion stem knee revision.
 
Nancy,
That is some hardware you have in your knee. Looks like the OS had to build up your bone to meet the implant.
X-rays would be interesting to see.:yes:
Whew, glad to hear you only have a few more days of shots.
Have an uneventful trip to see your OS next week.
Wishing you all the best, keep us updated on you progress.:SUNsmile:
 
I plan to show the photo to my OS Monday and find out how the puzzle goes together.

@Josephine
I betcha Josephine can identify the pieces in her sleep. :yes:
She may even have a picture that shows the puzzle put together.
 
Nancy, I have been so worried about you---it sounds like it was harder than we thought. How are you doing now in the second week? That was when I began to feel like I could take care of myself fairly easily. How long will you stay in California.

I pray that this is the final surgery to get your life back. I have worried so about my left quad---it is still not 100% and is smaller than the right quad. I have begun to do serious weight lifting with that leg. I worry that I am too old to fully rehab it and then I think---baloney, I can do it.

I am sure that you will come back too---it will be hard, but not impossible.
 
Yep, it is hard Kelly, but not impossible! :happydance: my problem is my quads are very strong along with the muscles on the outside of the knees, and so both VMO muscles tend to "give up" from time to time! Nancy, I hope your recovery is going well!
 
Sonja, I also struggle with a lazy VMO--am really pushing it now.
 
Well Kelly, Valerie has made up some exercises on her own to fully engage the VMO and they are WORKING ! :happydance:

She has added them into the other stuff I do and she guides my foot and assists with leg lifts by keeping the VMO engaged. She will say, "Do you have your muscle engaged, ( the groin muscle) and then we go! It is amazing to learn that such a simple change can make a big difference as to whether I can get the VMO to engage or not! :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom