@prairienut, you'll definitely be able to go for a 2-hour ride after the surgery. People endure travel longer than that to go to HSS! They travel from across the world ... from across the country ...
On the ice packs, the discharge nurses will cover all of that ... and the hospital will have ice packs you can take with you ... and you can tell them (the nurses) before surgery and the morning of intake about your car ride two days later ... There's nothing in the slightest out of the ordinary in your situation as a patient. Just tell the folks at HSS what you need, what you're worried about ... and it's their job to hook you up. Just be blunt about your pain before discharge. You should NOT be in pain when you leave or a day later.
Typically someone from your hospital will check in with you a day after surgery ... maybe two days after surgery. You have to speak up because we all need different meds and dosages of pain meds, muscle relaxants, narcotics and so on. So if they haven't given you enough, you ask for more ... so that you aren't in pain. Pain treatment after hip replacement is therapeutic on multiple levels because patients will not walk and get mobile if they are in pain ... and if they don't walk and move, their recovery is slowed and they have an increased risk of a clot.
I was hurting a little as the nurse was giving me discharge directions. I finally told her, hey, this pain is starting to bother me. She gave me whatever, maybe more oxy. I was out of pain ...
On my day of discharge I went from the hospital to lunch with my sister and a friend at a restaurant. I was on the walker and had an easy time. Not everyone has as easy a time as I did, but my result wasn't atypical either. Between discharge and arriving home, maybe three hours. We didn't rush the lunch!
My sister came from out of town ... and maybe three days after surgery ... we went driving through the city to give her a tour. A buddy of mine was driving ... I had my walker in the trunk. I sat up front. The pain meds were doing their job. We stopped and ate at a restaurant. Spent a whole afternoon out ... in and out of the car. I don't remember anything uncomfortable about the ride--literally. Now your mileage will vary of course. You're having a revision.