Guest viewing is limited

TKR 9 weeks post TKR

Thank you all again for the support and advise. I really appreciate it. I have a lot to think about and consider. I do really feel that the BS philosophy and way of healing is much more sensible. I am going to take it slow and I refuse to push myself to the point if pain. It just is not worth it. So many wonderful people here with great stories of recovery without painful PT. That has to count for something!! I have been doing it the way my surgeon told me and home PT and outpatient PT, and quite frankly I don't feel good about it because I feel it's just pushing me too quickly to recover and its only been 2 weeks and 1 day. Today I am suffering from yesterdays PT with pain and swelling and more stiffness. I am not a happy camper!!
 
You tried it their way, now try Bonesmart’s.

I thought I had to “do what I was told”.

Thanks to this forum I have learned:

Physical Therapy can be helpful, but is NOT necessary to do in order to recover from a knee replacement. Not all surgeons prescribe PT. It all depends on their opinion about it. And there are many opinions. Which means there is not just one way to recover. Which then means that you get to choose how you will rehabilitate your knee.

Physical therapy is an option, not the requirement we thought it was.

Many people have not gone to PT but have used the movements within the normal course of their activities to rehabilitate their knee. It’s done as they are able, as they heal.
 
I agree it can vary with the individual, but I did Percocet full time - one tablet every 4 to6 hours for about the first two weeks, then started cutting down slowly over the next week and a half.. I was off opiates completely just before I hit 4 weeks. Then Tylenol for maybe another 2 months. By 3 months I onlyused Tylenol every now and then. Maybe once a week. Only you can decide what makes sense for you. But even with that short amount of time on opiates i went through a short withdrawal when I quit altogether. Not unmanageable but it was a rough 3 or 4 days with insomnia,stomach aches, general malaise, crankiness plus another week of occasionally craving a Percocet. It wasn't about pain, just a flashing through my mind that that I wish I had that, the same way I might be craving chocolate cake if I were on a diet. Im not saying this happens to everyone, just recounting my own experience.
 
@Jajakio , thank you for that information. It does scare me a little about physical addiction. I am on 3 Norco 10/325 a day. I take 1 every 7 to 10 hours. I have had a couple of days when I only took 2. I am now 16 days post op. My plan is to slowly decrease them. I am hoping that in the next week or so i will only start to need 2 a day for a bit, then decrease to 1 a day, then 1/2 a day then stop. I think by decreasing slowing my body will have time to adjust, thus hopefully preventing any withdrawal type symptoms. I have read that withdrawal symptoms can occur in people who take opiates after surgery when being on them continuously for as little as a week, but every person is different. Then there ate those who are on pain medication for 6 to 8 weeks post op and slowly wean off and don't have any withdrawal symptoms. I hope to be the later. Lol. It is scary for sure. The truth is, I am taking them as directed, my pain definitely warrants them so I am not going to worry myself too much about side effects of stopping them because I will not just go from taking 2 or 3 day for weeks then the next day stop all together, I think that is not too good for the body with regards to side effects of abruptly stopping them.
 
I agree. I probably will still take them next time when I get my other knee done because the pain is so intense in the beginning. Unless someone comes up with a better nonopioate solution before then. I can't imagine going Tylenol only from the beginning.

I just may be more sensitive than some people. I tapered off over about a week and a half and was down to 1/2 to 1 a pill per day with no negative reaction at all. Weirdly, once i stopped that tiny amount, things changed dramatically. I think next time I may taper even more slowly over 3 weeks or so. But who knows? I think a short period of being uncomfortable coming off was probably worth the trade off. This knee was by far the most painful thing I've ever experienced. And I had 2 kids with no drugs.
 
@Jajakio , yes this has been the most painful thing I have ever gone through in my life. I have had a few surgeries and 2 c-sections, they pale in comparison to this!! I agree a slower taper. This morning I am having it rough. I haven't needed 2 Norco in like a week and a half, this morning I took 1 at 545 and I needed another one hour and a half later. I had my first outpatient PT day before yesterday and I am paying the price. Swelling and a lot more pain. Not good. I feel a little depressed and defeated this morning that I needed 2 pain pills, maybe sounds a bit ridiculous, I am certainly not beating myself up about it, but it feels like regression instead of progress. I know that is to be expected during this journey, I just don't like it. Lol. I really did very little home PT exercises yesterday aand this morning just some stretching. I am going to keep it elevated today with ice and just rest more today. With this increased pain my knee is speaking to me, it is saying "girl, I am not happy with PT, now I am gonna swell and give you extra pain", great, thank you knee! Lol. I just love this forum. It's awesome to talk with people going through the same thing. My family is supportive, but they can't comprehend what this feels like. So grateful for everyone in here and all the advise, tips and experiences from those who have been right were I am.
 
@Silvernail02, it sounds like you are getting the harsh reality treatment from your knee today. While you might not like that right now, as long as you listen and pay attention to it, that kind of feedback from your knee will help you tremendously as you proceed down the recovery trail.

Regarding pain associated with TKR / PKR, not you and @Jajakio are on the mark that it is the most pervasive and intense we will probably ever experience. Over two years ago, I had two major abdominal surgeries within a 6 month period resulting in a 12 - 13 inch long scar down my midline. I thought that entire experience, from the situation that put me in the hospital to the recovery from both surgeries was painful, but neither compare to this. Bone pain is extremely intense and takes a lot to relieve, at least mine was.
 
@NavyGunns , yes I agree with about the worst pain ever. I am totally listening to my knee, it did not like the painful barbaric PT. Ice and elevation today. Tomorrow is a new day.
 
Ok I have a question. I have been having groin ache since about day 4 or 5 post op. It's a deep nagging ache. I was massaging it last night and I noticed 2 enlarged inguinal lymph nodes. Can that have anything to do with the surgery?
 
@Josephine might be able to answer that question. I’ve tagged her so she sees your post.
 
Hi @Silvernail02 ...

I see you completed your first outpatient PT and you ended up with more pain and swelling than expected. I’m sorry you are now trying to manage that. I have my first outpatient PT tomorrow and certainly will have my guard up. Do you think on your next PT appointment you will have them cut it back some?

I think you are doing great with your pain relief. Today is day 13 post op for me and I’m just now moving to 10/325 Percocet every 5 hours - and that’s really drawing it out. You are doing so much better than that. You need to get some relief too so try not to compromise that too much.

Regarding this being the worse pain... I’ve had plenty other surgeries and I agree this is the worse pain I’ve experienced in my 60 years on this earth.

You hang in there. Take today to rest, nap is possible, elevate and ice. Today you are one day closer to your goal.
 
@Josephine , hi there I am certain they are lymph nodes. There are actually 3 that are enlarged that are more superficial. It is R3f v and radiating ache to w. If you shoot me a private email I can explain how I am certain they are lymph nodes.

@Joy77 , good luck tomorrow with your PT. I think I am doing pretty good with the pain meds. Don't compare yourself with anyone else because we all have different pain tolerances. It is my opinion as long as we are taking them as directed that is most important and if they aren't doing what they are suppose to talk to the surgeon for other options. I think you're doing great. You hang in there too. Yes, next week I am going to mention that I feel the pushing my leg bag with good foot is too much.
 
It does scare me a little about physical addiction. I am on 3 Norco 10/325 a day. I take 1 every 7 to 10 hours. I have had a couple of days when I only took 2. I am now 16 days post op. My plan is to slowly decrease them.
The chances of you getting addicted are really pretty slim.
You've had major surgery and you do need the pain relief.
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
@Celle , thank you for your response. After reading the myth busting on addiction I would change the wording I used to fear dependency. I think as long as I do the weaning it shouldn't be a problem.
 
As your pain lessens you'll naturally cut back on the pain meds. As you need less, you take less. Before you know it, you'll only need them at night, and then, not at all!
 
Hi @Silvernail02 ,

My PT went very well. The therapist never touched me. She asked me to do certain exercises and I did what I could. She said pain isn’t necessary for improvement. She added she didn’t want me swollen as that makes moving the leg around more difficult. I wrote all about it in my recovery thread. There should be a link in my signature line.

It sounds like you are doing well and showing improvement. I wouldn’t worry about addiction. I think this early on it’s more important for you to be comfortable so that you can move around more naturally.

I look forward to reading about your progress. Keep writing and giving updates!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom