TKR 9 weeks post TKR

You're sensible not to worry about your ROM. At only 5 weeks post-op, even 105 is terrific.
Remember, there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR


That tight band feeling is pretty normal and I'm afraid it could be with you for quite a while. This article explains:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

Recovery isn't a straightforward linear progression. It's full of ups and downs, like a roller-coaster, and sometimes you'll feel as if you take 2 steps forward and one step back. That's all normal.

Complete recovery takes a full year, although you'll feel much better long before that.

@Celle I have a question about the "tight band" feeling:

It will gradually reduce in size and thickness over the following months until it reaches a point where it's not substantial enough to cause this sensation, same way as does the incisional scar in the skin. But be warned that this can take several months to dissipate completely and sometimes or every time, lots of walking or standing can make it worse. It differs greatly for every individual.​

I feel this whenever I walk. Should I be trying to avoid walking altogether? Does walking or motion help get through it, or, does that make it worse and take longer to heal?
 
@Rhodyrhody, walking is good for your knees recovery as long as you don’t over do it. My personal experience is that my knee likes to move versus standing or even sitting a long time. I’m at just shy of 6 months and still have the tight band feeling but it’s getting better.
 
Navy’s right, sitting and standing bother me far more than walking at the 4 week mark, but then walking also lets me know when it’s getting angry. Often while actually doing my PT, the knee feels good. PT tech says it’s because of moving fluid around that helps lubricate the joint.. Thought it funny when he said my normal fluid in good knee is like a 30 weight oil, but my knee has the equivalent of sludge in it now. Got a kick outta that. Lol
 
I feel this whenever I walk. Should I be trying to avoid walking altogether? Does walking or motion help get through it, or, does that make it worse and take longer to heal?
No, don't try to avoid walking.
I'm afraid that nothing you do will make it go away sooner.
It's quite normal for it to last for several months, although it won't always bother you as much as it does now. It will just fade away gradually..
 
With my LTKR last year I experienced the tightness, which to me felt like a clamp on my knee.:gaah: I found wearing a compression sleeve on the knee helped it to feel much better. There was also another member @Hopetohike who did the same thing and found it very helpful. Amazon sells a variety of sleeves - Zensah Compression Knee Sleeve is the one I think we both used.
 
Hello all,
Ok I am 9 weeks out and a little frustrated. My flexion has remained the same over the last 4 weeks 110 but my extension has decreased. It was -3, now it's -6. Should I worry about this regression? I have decreased my home PT exercises trying to do the "bonesmart" way of letting things happen naturally. I walk with a very slight limp at first but as I continue to walk I don't feel a limp. I am just worried about going backwards.
 
Silver ,as is my understanding slightly negative extension is good, just don’t know how much is too much and coulfdn’t find on internetk
 
Really? Maybe I used negative when it should be positive, lol. I am 6 degrees from 0. I was 3 degrees from 0.
 
9 weeks is really early in a recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks.

This recovery is not a “every day is better” type of recovery. We call it a rollercoaster because of all the ups and downs.

Sometimes we level out for a while. If your extension is a bit less, something may have caused an increase in swelling

Try not to worry about it. Where you are now is not where you will end up.
 
Does sound strange and Jockette may be right ,some swelling could be the culprit. My therapist has me do as much stretches on calf and hamstring, as he does flexion and maybe even more so that may be a focus area for you now. Can you take a normal stride yet? Heel / toe walk without a problem?
 
Yes I can walk normal, usually starts out with a slight limp but after movement looks pretty close to normal. I can get the extension a little better when I squeeze my quads moving back nod knee to floor. I have mild swelling only. Just strange that while sitting on floor just relaxing legs stretched out that up to like 6 weeks or so I was +3 and then now it's +5-6. I am doing extra stretching and I lay on the bed on my tummy with leg hanging off at the knee and let gravity push it straight. That actually feels good. I still get quite a bit of pain during the day which is really frustrating. No pain at night except positional type pain. Intermittent sharp pains, and ache in femur and shin. I do have several hours intermittent throughout the day with 0 pain.
 
That’s all pretty normal for 9 weeks.
 
Yup, sounds like you're on track, Silvernail02

Thought it funny when he said my normal fluid in good knee is like a 30 weight oil, but my knee has the equivalent of sludge in it now. Got a kick outta that. Lol
Ha ha. Mine is more like 90 weight differential oil.
 
Thanks all, I am so grateful for this forum and all your posts and replies. It really helps to put my mind at ease and realize I am doing ok for me.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom