TKR 9 Weeks Out - Questions on Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame you for being leery! It's a definite no-no in my book!

As for the massage, jolly good idea! You might like to try some yourself using this Acupressure massage
 
Hi All: Update as of 16 weeks out. I am at 5 degrees extension and 75 degrees flexion. My quads and hamstrings are very tight still and my insurance company says no more physical therapy unless I start showing improvement.

My PT did suggest doing trying the Graston Technique. I wanted to post this to see if others have had any luck with this on TKR.

I have been doing some light exercising, stretching and heat pad for calf and quads not the knee. Still icing knee and elevating regularly. People are telling me that my walking motion appears more natural than it did before.

I did go to a woman who does massaging and had her do the back side of my leg and it was wonderful! I only had her do the back side because of time limitations but the next session (day after tomorrow) will be both sides of the leg. I would highly recommend this for anyone with muscle issues. It was the best I felt since before surgery.

Unless someone chimes in and tells me to try the Graston (which is scraping of the tissues to break adhesions and increase blood flow) Technique I probably will pass on it.

My spirits are a bit down feeling like so many have given up on me but it is probably for the best to take a break. I have been through an awful lot over the last four months and a little healing and me time might be a good thing. I would like anyone who has heard of this Gaston Technique to please feel free to give me feed back.
 
Graston is a refined form of the acupressure I suggested before. I notice you have not referred to that so I guess yu haven't tried it. Any form of massage will be good for your right now. But the one thing I advise above all others is that you give up exercises as it's the last thing you need. Just stick with stretches.
 
I had the Graston technique used on my first knee. I'm not sure it did any good and was very painful. If the massaging seems helpful maybe continue with that.
 
Back to post an update. It has been 8½ months since my left TKR. My extension is maybe 2 degrees or less and my flexion has reached no more than 85 degrees. I have worked on it mildly with light exercising, iced and elevated, and attended nearly 80-85 PT sessions since surgery. I am now seeing a rehab/pain Dr. for the pain in my leg. Even with the leg relaxed it feels like I am wearing a tight brace just above the knee all the way to my ankle.

I go every 2 weeks to a Massage Therapist to help loosen the muscles to get some relief. My surgeon has no clue what to do and is suggesting another MUA. The pain Dr. tried two injections of botox in the upper quad on both sides of the leg which helped that area but did not lessen the hold on my knee or calf area. I am taking Bacoflen and Hydrocodone 2-3 times a day to get through everyday. I now feel like I am in a position that I now have to figure what I need to do next since my surgeon is telling me everything should be working fine.

Anything I do I am in pain. This pain is unrelated to trying to bend my knee which really sends me off the chart the harder I try. When I try to bend it I can get it to a certain point and it will just stop. No matter how hard I try it will not move. Not really sure where I go from here.

I have made attempts to seek out other Orthopedic doctors but no one will see me because of being so soon after my surgery. I am just waiting to twist an ankle or take a fall which in my mind will be a disaster. Anyone else out there have or had these similar issues? If so, how or what did you do to minimize the pain? I can be very patient with the bending its the pain I need to deal with right now.
 
Hi @dpcmgr
I'm sorry you're still having these problems.

I'm going to tag @Josephine for you, so that she sees your latest update.
 
Jo is out of town for a couple of days and I'm not sure when she'll have an opportunity to get back on BoneSmart to respond to you. But...she will! She is going to be the best person to offer advice on your particular problem.
 
I believed the time frame for seeing a new surgeon or ortho group is 9 months. So you're almost there. If you're going to look for someone new I suggest a revision specialist. They're trained to look for problems in TKRs. My best friend had a TKR a few years ago. One year after her surgery she had little ROM, a lot of pain and still limped. She went back to her OS and he said with her age (54) she may have to learn to live with the pain. I suggested she try a new OS who referred her to his group's revision specialist. The revision specialist said the knee they put in was too large for her bone and was already slipping and loose. She's going to need a revision whenever she's ready, but until then wears a hinged brace to support the TKR.

I'm not suggesting this could be your problem, just a long story to encourage you to look for a good revision specialist.
 
I would hang fire until you can see a different surgeon. I was in similar circumstances to you. Felt like there was a blockage when trying to gain rom. Also felt wobbly when walking. Constant pain, constant swelling. 5 mins standing and i suffered. Was told everything is fine. Xrays perfect. Just carry on. My quads were blamed by surgeon but physio insisted my quads were strong.
At 1 year post op i had a second opinion. My lateral ligament was loose causing instability in the joint. I was advised to have a revision to a rotating hinge joint.Daunting thought as im only 43.
I am almost 9 weeks post revision and the difference is amazing. I have reasonable rom. Swelling is less than it was the day before the revision. Pain is minimal. If you think something is wrong go with your instinct. Its your body and nobody knows it better than you. Good luck.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom