Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR 8 Weeks, Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pain level 5 is huge in my opinion. Waiting that long to medicate makes it much harder to ever catch up, especially with just ibuprofen. If one narcotic makes you sick, try a different one. But whatever meds you take, take them consistently so you remain at a lower level of pain. Waiting till the pain creeps back up to a 5 is completely counter-productive. The goal is to manage pain, not react to it.

There's also the question of whether your implants are cemented or non-cemented. Ibuprofen is contraindicated if they are non-cemented, because it can interfere with the bone growth bonding to your implant.

Please call your OS tomorrow and be very clear about the pain you're in and the need for a reasonable alternative. If all narcotic meds make you sick to your stomach, that's one thing. If they just make you sleepy and spacey, let them....sleep and space out. That will pass. You could also ask about tramadol....that has worked well for many of us....but not all....it is often a matter of trial and error. So far you've been hung out to dry on the error side. Once you get the pain under real control, you will be amazed and delighted with your new hips.

Sharon
 
@Badhips,
It sounds like you are reading responses. Read and re-read the links provided by @Poppet. Listen to @Josephine. They give very wise council. I don't like pain meds either; but I have learned to make adjustments in my life to take them. Your healing, I suspect has slowed way down by not taking them. Rather than your body focusing on re-growing the damage done by surgery (the joint is technically healed), your body's energy (metabolic functioning) is focused on pain. This energy focus is producing a drain, not only on you physically but also emotionally and mentally (including all the hormonal interactions going on - the chemical messages going on in your body because of the pain is probably enormous!)

You of course must listen to your doctor. But you doctor can only care for you if you communicate what is going on. I'll be praying you have a sympathetic ear. Working together with your doctor, you can get back on the right track.
 
have not taken any narcotics after getting sick from them. I am taking asprin daily and ibuprofen when I reach pain level above 5.
You should bear in mind that neither aspirin nor ibuprofen are designed to deal with a pain level of 5 more more. That is classified as 'moderate to severe' pain and NSAIDs are only for mild to moderate pain. Have you done as I previously suggested and tried Tylenol at 1,000mg for times a day? That is designed for moderate to severe pain so would be much more effective than NSAIDs.

Have you tried alternative prescription meds? Tramadol or codeine? Have you been offered anti-sickness pills to help you cope with them?


I'm also concerned that despite advice from other professionals, you choose to ignore it and carry on taking both aspirin and ibuprofen, both of which are in this group. You should read this to be informed of the dangers NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers.
I am doing PT as I was advised. 3 days outpatient PT a week Mon/Wed/Fri,
various stretches every day,
low level exercise at home and walking for the other 4 days
Can you please fill me in on the detail of these as requested? I only ask to help you.
I use ICE on both hips after my outpatient PT
Ice more. Ice is a natural pain killer.
I have also received conflicting and different advise from doctors/nurses.
Such as?
Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic for 5 weeks out.
Quite possibly but I cannot say for sure until I get the details as requested above.
 
Five weeks when compared to the rest of your life is not much time at all. I believe if what you are doing is not moving you forward: less pain, more mobility then you need to rethink what you are doing, seek advise like you have, and go to plan B and see if your situation improves.

Your pain at this time should be manageable, with bad days and good days. It should not be all bad days.I feel badly someone did not give you medication to counter the nausea you felt with the pain medications. I ran into this once when I worked med/surg/ortho. I came into work and my THR was laying in bed unable to move. The nurse did not give her any pain medications because the patient felt sick to her stomach and got sick after surgery.

I assure you that was a very short report as I knew that poor patient was suffering and there is no need for suffering like that when a shot of anti nausea can get the nausea under control and pain meds can then do what they need to do which is manage your pain. Your doctor can order these pills from your pharmacy also.

Now the icing should be happening all the time and not just after PT. At least once an hour for the first three weeks just to help all the inside tissues settle down while you are a wake.

When you say walking how much walking on the other four days? After 7 weeks with my first THR I was still putting around the house and having what I call my garden walks but nothing like over 200 feet with a walker. Are you still using a walker?

This is my opinion but I think you may have over done it a bit but that is OK because now you can try and relax and let your body heal at its own rate. If it hurts don't do it and don't let anyone else hurt you like the mantras say here. I sure hope you are feeling better. Please keep us updated on your recovery.
 
Did you say you had been told that taking ibuprofen and acetamenaphin together was dangerous? I have been told quite the contrary, and in fact the combination has been recommended to me. Perhaps I misread what you said, but if not, please recheck your facts.
 
I think a lot of people read about the anterior approach and think it is somehow magical. In my own experience my incision was three inches longer than I expected and my leg swelled massively. I did go back to work for very short periods after 2 weeks, but my Bonesmart buddies were not happy with me for that.

You have had a huge surgery and you are pushing yourself way too hard. You have two brand new good hips, but your body had to go through heck to get them. All that tissue has to stitch itself back together. It's quite a miracle if you think about it. That is why you GENTLY move your legs and feel really good about doing nothing but lying on your back with ice bags in place watching mindless videos or listening to music. Your body is BUSY working to put you back together again.

If you add pain to the mix, then your energy will be zapped even more. You will know if you are doing it right if you become bored with rest, ice and elevation. I am planning on getting my left hip done at the end of February, but I've already told my husband I'm not going to Hawaii this year. I know for a fact that at two months out I will still be using a cane and not up to long periods of sitting or walking. The healing process for my hip was about 12 months and it is still getting better because now I am able to exercise it without pain. That's right! There is no pain in my right hip at all. You will be there too, GOODHIPS! Be gentle with yourself. And you had a bilateral! Your short term recovery will be a little longer, but at least you won't have to go through it twice. Hang in there.
 
Butterfly, I did not mean to say that taking the two together was dangerous... but each medication has it's own risk for adverse effects.
 
AlanInAZ, thank you.
I just had a restful weekend with some ICE and hydrocodone. The medication made me a little sick but it helped.
 
If you find yourself feeling sick at your stomach from the pain medications, you can ask your surgeon or your GP for a medication that helps prevent it.
 
I am from the knee side:) Make sure you eat something before you take your meds.
Toast & crackers work well. Something light always helps. Please get on the correct meds.
It makes all the difference in a good recovery....It's 1 of the "Mantras":bow:
I do hope you feel better:angel:
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi there @Badhips, I am so pleased that you have upped your meds, it is so important for all of us to come to grips with the fact that we have had major, major complex surgery and in your case it is double.

Your body is going to dictate the healing and recovery timeframe. Did you read the articles I provided for you! Especially the one referring to the healing phases.. If it is any reassurance you are now in the final phase -

Remodeling phase (3 weeks - years) where the body transforms and replaces the collagen that was placed down during the proliferative phase into a stronger collagen to support the structure and function over the long term. This newly formed collagen is strong, very strong with high tensile strength; however improperly formed collagen at this stage may have the potential to present as issues later as we start to become more mobile, exercising, stretching etc. as the original cross-linkage connective tissue has to realign in the parallel formation. The remodeling is a very slow process which can take anywhere from 3 to 9 years to complete, not that I am trying to discourage you as this is happening whilst you are mostly unaware and getting on with living! However, it is important to understand this, as I often mention recovering from a joint replacement is a marathon, not a sprint!

To support you right now you need the stronger meds. Do take them with food (check out my article for nutrition) it will help with the nausea. You will get there! You will recover! You will not regret having two wonderful new hips! - it just takes time. Each milestone is an important one, no matter how big or small or what it might represent to you.

Celebrate them with us and we will celebrate them with you!
 
@Badhips In the US we are told not to take more than 3000 mg of acetaminophen daily because it appears in so many medications. But, if you are not taking other cold formulas or drugs that contain it, the 4000 mg per day are supposed to be safe. (Have you ever read the side effects of aspirin? One of my doctors told me it would never pass the FDA now.)

I took prescription pain pills every six hours for two weeks, and then weaned down to just one a night over the next week. I started taking MOBIC which is prescription ibuprofen that keeps the levels even 24/7 and when I was very active I used Tylenol. I slowly tapered off everything after a couple of months. I can't imagine how you managed the first two weeks without pain pills. You must have been in agony.

I iced at least once an hour when I was at home, for fifteen minutes, using an ice pack make at home in a zip lock bag, half water and half alcohol, and then encased in a second bag. You can add more water if you want it squishy. And, you seem to be doing an awful lot of PT and walking for five weeks. I know you had anterior (mine was lateral) but you did still have major surgery. Things are healing in there. You need healthy foods, more protein than usual, and lots of rest. You'll feel lots better if you rest. I did PT and went back to the pool after six weeks, but not anywhere near as much as you this early. Rest more for a couple of weeks and then start slowly.

Good luck.
 
You are way under medicated for just having BTHR. Take the suggestions made and use your pain medication. You need it to get more mobile and if you are doing daily PT - you need it more. Ibuprofen is not enough. I think you will feel much better about having this surgery once you get that pain under control. Unlike pre-op pain, it can be controlled!
100% agree, Ibuprofen is nowhere near enough
 
@Badhips... Thinking of you and wondering how you are doing. Can you post an update? We care!!! Hope things have been going in. A better direction!!
 
I am approaching 8 weeks and feeling great after my bi-lateral hip replacement. In a previous post I was not feeling very well about the whole experience and even expressed "regrets" for having the operation. I will be updating my progress in this thread in more detail.
 
...oh I would also like to post my before and after x-ray and scar images. Where can I post these? - Thank you
 
@Badhips so glad you are doing MUCH better now at 8 weeks!
Yes, I remember your previous post, and felt miserable for you.
Woohoo for time elapsed.
((HUGS))
 
@Badhips so glad you are doing MUCH better now at 8 weeks!
Yes, I remember your previous post, and felt miserable for you.
Woohoo for time elapsed.
((HUGS))

I have to say that I was in bad shape for a while. I was in so much pain!
What has made all the difference for me has been the PT. I started doing as much PT as I could do and then more. I was careful to let my body tell me when to stop or slow down but I just kept at it.

This has made all the difference.

I have almost no pain now and will be continuing my PT until I have full range of motion and increased muscle support.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom