TKR 8 weeks post TKR

Some of our members do wear some sort of knee sleeve, mostly to help with swelling, though I did not.

Starting to swing a club so thought it may help in keeping the knee stable.

4 weeks op. tKR
Swelling. / pain
Morning about 2. Usually good night sleep
Walk stretches 40 minutes. Am.
Pain and swelling after. Pain level 6
Ice. And elevate. Goes down to 3
Repeat in afternoon
Need to get this under control
PT said 95 rom

4 weeks op. tKR
Swelling. / pain
Morning about 2. Usually good night sleep
Walk stretches 40 minutes. Am.
Pain and swelling after. Pain level 6
Ice. And elevate. Goes down to 3
Repeat in afternoon
Need to get this under control
PT said 95 rom
As you will read and be told the swelling you have will reduce rom, don't let your pt dictate this, I was week 8 before I achieved 95, only this week gone to 100. Get the swelling and pain down and the rom will improve. Good luck with it.

Time for a moan......what a bad nights non sleep. Really struggling with trying to sleep on my side, so uncomfortable on either left or right side, back ache from lying on it for 10 weeks.....what am I doing wrong not to get comfortable? Any ideas/suggestions would be truly appreciated...

Hi Steve,
As far as sleep -
Pillows certainly help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off. Lots of bed pillows of different degrees of firmness.

I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

I hope you're able to get the sleep you're wishing for soon! :sleep:

I was always a side sleeper before surgery but couldn’t do that after. I found that elevating my legs while laying on my back helped a lot.

Hi Steve,
As far as sleep -
Pillows certainly help me get comfortable in bed, making it easier to drift off. Lots of bed pillows of different degrees of firmness.

I suggest making up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.

I hope you're able to get the sleep you're wishing for soon! :sleep:
Started taking Magnesium and have increased the amount of protein. Will try a tea let's see if that works. Thanks for the advice

I was always a side sleeper before surgery but couldn’t do that after. I found that elevating my legs while laying on my back helped a lot.
Will try the elevation route, thanks for your advice.

I used the Lounge Doctor for about 2-3 months until I could get comfortably on my sides. Elevating my legs was much better on my back.

I used the Lounge Doctor for about 2-3 months until I could get comfortably on my sides. Elevating my legs was much better on my back.
I have one of these for elevation, never thought of using in bed...doh! Thanks will try it tonight.

I get good sleep. My doctor gave me a brace to wear for at least the first six weeks. I also take one Tylenol p.m. and melatonin. I have moved to my side and sleep seven hours a night. Good luck to you.

I have a question regarding the tightness in my knee, 11 weeks today post op and I am really restricted in bending my knee, with a little persuasion I can reach 105 degrees, while sat as a low chair I may achieve 80/85, slightly higher chair just touch 90, is this really 'normal' for 11 weeks post surgery.

I can walk without sticks etc, ok on flat surfaces or a slight uphill, anything downhill is a real struggle, again is this 'normal'?

Can finally get out and walk a little further as the sun has finally decided to make an appearance, well for the next 3/4 days before the rain comes again, typical UK weather!

@Steveg63 You are still very early days in this year-long recovery. Your ROM is still being blocked by swelling and inflammation (even if you can't see it on the outside). Your knee needs rest, ice, and elevation to get the swelling and inflammation to calm down.

Your bend will improve with time -- just as it has for other BoneSmart members who were worried they weren't going to recovery. Here is a chart of progress made by three of our members whose flexion returned slowly but surely.

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
4 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

TortiTabby's ROM
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks: 120

Thanks benne68. Nice seeing the figures it's so frustrating working every day and still in the positionn I am.

so frustrating working every day
This could be contributing to your lack of bend. Overworking the knee can cause more swelling -- which further restricts the bend.

Why not try backing off the exercise and do more icing. Many of us have seen improvement in our flexion with that approach.

Morning all, hope you enjoy your weekend. Here in the UK we have our 'annual heatwave' hitting a high of 21c/70f, 3 days of sunshine...

Had a minor breakthrough this week, not only walking upstairs sequentially but managed 4 steps down (all be it supported via the handrails).

The tightness bellow the knee seems to have been replaced with tightness across the knee and hamstring and ligaments very tight, otherwise I would class week 11 coming to week 12 a positive and a success.

Back to enjoying the clear skies and sun , well at least for another day...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom