Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 weeks post TKR

Well 12 weeks post op....what a difference a week makes!
Actually feel "half normal", walking with no aids, no limp, managed 2 miles this morning then again this afternoon, made dinner for the family, now icing and celebrating with a little liquid 'pain killer'...lol...
 
:yes!:
I love an update like this!!!!

It was 15 - 16 weeks before I could build up to 2 miles nonstop and it was an exhilarating feeling! (It also represented a slight increase over my preop baseline due to knee pain).

Slow and steady, and the milestones will keep adding up.
 
Physio this morning, tight tendon behind the knee but did manage 110 bend and 0 extension, so feeling happy with this, quad muscles are building up. Consultant next week which will be 13 week post op
 
Congratulations Steve, I’ve been following your progress lately because I’m also having problems with rom progression and I find out today if my surgeon is going to recommend muna. 110 rom is great, I would love to get there.
im stuck at 96 or so, can get to 105 during therapy after massage and riding bike for 5 minutes, but surgeon wants me at minimum of 105-110 cold (beginning of therapy) by now, which is 8 weeks post op; or he wants me to have muna.
im really encouraged by your progress. I do tons of knee bending exercises for 2 weeks and gain a few measly points, I do a couple of short bike exercises and gain 5 points during the pt session. Very strange. Bu next time I’m measured (cold) I’m back to 95.
 
Also, having trouble finding people who can describe actual the recovery from mua. I’ve read it’s more painful than initial surgery and also that people drive to p therapy 2 days later and are walking without aids. also read that it helps 75 percent of the time, not good enough odds for me, and that most people do improve rom but the knee function never matches the function of people who did not need mua. . I’m in my late 60s, really think I could live with 110 rom.
I have had good luck with pain control and sleep,hate to go backwards.
 
Also, having trouble finding people who can describe actual the recovery from mua. I’ve read it’s more painful than initial surgery and also that people drive to p therapy 2 days later and are walking without aids. also read that it helps 75 percent of the time, not good enough odds for me, and that most people do improve rom but the knee function never matches the function of people who did not need mua. . I’m in my late 60s, really think I could live with 110 rom.
I have had good luck with pain control and sleep,hate to go backwards.
Hi Nekocarlo, thanks for the messages, I was also "threatened" with MUA, I have my consultant next week.
I have concentrated on walking to improve my rom, have found the following two exercises to be a great help:
1. Sit on a high stool and let the operated leg hang down, slight swing back and forth then gradually "pull back" with other leg, don't pull to pain though.
2. Lay down on bed face down, bend your knee towards your bum, my wife helps with this by guiding my leg up, again don't do to pain but breathe through the discomfort, I do this 3 to 4 times 3 times a day, this one has been a game changer for me.

I hope you get to where you want to be, do you think it may still be down to some over working of the knee?

Apart from the above exercises and walking I don't do anything on a regular basis, I do ice still and elevate 4 to 5 times a day.

Good luck.
 
It was 15 - 16 weeks before I could build up to 2 miles nonstop
@mendogal i just stumbled across this sentence and was excited! In 2023 I would walk my dog 5 miles at once - a nice per week and 3 to 4 every other day. By fall of 2023 3 miles was a stretch and the last couple months 1 1/2 to 2 miles was the limit - the legs would just be tired! I am so excited to start walking outside again. When did you start going a bit - like 1/2 mile or 1 mile round trip? While my dog is pretty well behaved on leash (rarely pulls) I wouldn’t be responsible for him until I was super steady. I love to walk and would like to incorporate as part of my recovery as soon as possible (besides traipsing around the house ).
 
My preop baseline for several years was 1 - 1.5 miles nonstop outdoors.

(I was braver about getting out on my second knee replacement; with my first I was terrified of simply misstepping (as one does preop with an unstable meniscus) and literally shattering my implant.)

With my second knee I believe my first outdoor walking, with walking stick and husband, was at 4 weeks, and brief.

I recorded that on post op day 33, I took my first solo walk. With my walking stick I went down our rather steep but not long paved driveway, across the street to where there's a sidewalk, and walked slowly past three houses (guessing each lot about 60 - 70 feet), then turned and went back.

At six weeks, I was walking just under 1/2 mile, with a walking stick. I stayed at 1/2 mile for quite a long while as a necessary plateau.... because twice I advanced too quickly and spent a few days in the ODIC (OverDid It Club) ...

At eight weeks, I graduated to walking my 1/2 mile without the walking stick!

At 12 weeks I was walking a bit over 3/4 mile.

At just over a full three months "I am comfortably taking a one mile walk most days, often with a second half mile walk (walks are early morning and after dinner to avoid ongoing afternoon warmth). A few days ago for the first time I did a mild-moderate (paved road) hill loop behind the house, about 3/4 mile, and was pleased to take it at a good pace and zero ill effects same or next day."

Week 15 - 1.8 miles non stop.
Week 16 - 2.25 miles non stop.

Five months - a visit to a friend who lives on a hill in San Francisco. Besides tons of stairs, I walked 3.5 miles - half of it on level, with a single five minute break before beginning the hill climb. Since then I have walked 3 miles nonstop several times.

My goal for this year was five miles and frankly the main limitation is the time it takes and where am I actually going? So I have been rethinking it, away from miles, and focusing on increasing the time spent on trails in our hilly regional park.
 
What a set back.....12 weeks 3 days post op and end up in bed all weekend (not for anything nice)!
Came home from the Golf Show and was aching at every joint, apart from my new knee! Had ro miss a 50th birthday black tie event!
Every joint aching, fingers swollen to the point of can't bend them, shoulders ache so much struggle putting t shirt on, left knee aching like a new knee!
Just when you think things are getting better this happens, I am aching so much struggling doing any exercises and can't walk for any period of time.
Due to have pt tomorrow where she was to write an assessment for my consultant that I am due to see Wednesday, would be 13 weeks 1 day post op! If the aches don't improve can't see either of these happening.
Well have to stop moaning now as my fingers can't take any more typing, took me 10 mins to do this!
 
I’m so sorry to read this Steve. Do you know what is causing the pain and swelling throughout your body, instead of just your new ? Depending on what your dr says, perhaps you could get some prescription anti inflammatory medications, such as Celebrix?
 
Hi Nekocarlo, thanks for the message, not sure what it is, done a DIY COVID test that was negative, will have to phone Dr tomorrow morning if it's still here.
Restricting everything...back to bed for another snooze.
 
Oh my, Stevev63, I sure hope you find out what's wrong and get it cleared up. You should not be hurting like you are.
 
@Steveg63 oh no!!!! Hoping it's easily diagnosed and short-lived!
 
Hi Steve, i saw my surgeon Wednesday and he saw I had made some progress (only about 5 degrees) and said he’d see me in 2 moreweeks to see if I could make further progress. Problem: I went crazy trying to warm up/ loosen my knee the morning of my appointment so I could hopefully steer the conversation away from mua, and in doing so I set myself way back. It is now so swollen and painful ( even 4 days later) that I can’t really do my stretches/exercises, and I’m limping the way I did several weeks ago.
Beating myself up. I was at 93-97 rom ’cold’ and now I’m guessing it is back to low to mid 80s. My own fault, and not sure if I should go to pt this week. I’m probably going to have the mua due to this set back, but won’t make decision til May 29. I hope you find out what is wrong and
can ‘get it fixed’ . These bumps in the road now feel like boulders.
 
@Nekocarlo
Since you have swelling due to a morning of overworking your knee there is no need to go for a MUA!

You have totally re-traumatized your new knee. If you skip PT, ice, elevate, and rest, just doing minimal stretching you'll regain the ROM you had.
 
Update, the aches and pains have all but gone, good old ibuprofen and rest seem to have done the trick.
Managed a 1.5m walk this morning, all my exercises, even pushed my rom to 110 (uncomfortable) 105 was OK!
Have physio this afternoon so resting and ice now.
Thanks for all the comments it does help, I know our partners are there to help and support but it's not quite the same as someone whom has been and is going through what we all are.
Here's to a happy Monday, and the SUN is out again (UK).
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom